C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[a/c problem]Usual warm driver side/cool pass. side BUT

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:06 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

TTT for me so I can fix my actuators

Anyone have a problem when the "AIR" comes out of all the vents and will not go to the top, middle or floor when it is selected?
Thanks,Matt
Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ac

madmatt, you have a vacuum problem. Start with checking for acid leak from battery. Vacuum lines, wireing, and PCM all located under battery, not good.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ac Mode Problem

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
TTT for me so I can fix my actuators

Anyone have a problem when the "AIR" comes out of all the vents and will not go to the top, middle or floor when it is selected?
Thanks,Matt
HI, The most likely culprit would be either a vacuum leak, or disconnected vacuum line, or the control head is bad.
Check the main vacuum line coming off the intake manifold, through the harness, and ending at the vacuum tank on the pass side hinge pillar under the battery box by the wheel well, it then goes into the cabin to the vacuum junction block and to the control head, look for a break or not connected to the intake manifold. Could be Battery Acid damage below the battery box where the lines run. If all is well with the vacum lines, it is most likely the control head.
Good Luck
Old 07-12-2008, 12:28 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by bestvettever
HI, The most likely culprit would be either a vacuum leak, or disconnected vacuum line, or the control head is bad.
Check the main vacuum line coming off the intake manifold, through the harness, and ending at the vacuum tank on the pass side hinge pillar under the battery box by the wheel well, it then goes into the cabin to the vacuum junction block and to the control head, look for a break or not connected to the intake manifold. Could be Battery Acid damage below the battery box where the lines run. If all is well with the vacum lines, it is most likely the control head.
Good Luck
Thanks fella's that is exactly what I was looking for

I posted this on a new thread - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2076206
So if possible post on it as well so others will be able to foolow it

I will look for it tomorrow after the Vette show @ LAPD

Thanks,Matt
Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
bcarp
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is already brought back up I once again have the cold passenger, warm driver problem. I replaced the actuator with a new one from GM and noticed it had been replaced once before. I still get codes B0361 and B0441. I tried resetting the codes but they just come right back, I did the reset by pulling fuse 27 with the key on and off. I looked at the controller and resoldered the resistors. I put the old actuator back in and the problem is the same. Anyone have any idea what to do now? Also the freon level is fine I checked that too
Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default AC Problems

Originally Posted by bcarp
Since this is already brought back up I once again have the cold passenger, warm driver problem. I replaced the actuator with a new one from GM and noticed it had been replaced once before. I still get codes B0361 and B0441. I tried resetting the codes but they just come right back, I did the reset by pulling fuse 27 with the key on and off. I looked at the controller and resoldered the resistors. I put the old actuator back in and the problem is the same. Anyone have any idea what to do now? Also the freon level is fine I checked that too
Hi, if you are 100% sure that your actuators are working properly, the problem has to be in one of two areas. Either the control head is not sending the proper temp signal to the dr side actuator, or the refrigerant levels are not right. Post your refrigerant pressures at 2000 rpms and what the ambient temp, and humidity is. We can isolate this problem but need the input from you so that we don't run in circles. The system is really not that mysterious. You just need to chase it down systematically. Also put the dr side temp dial at 60, and the pass side straight up, and see if you don't get cold on both sides.
Good Luck
Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 AM
ace48
4th Gear

Default dial stuck on 73 deg

my 2001 is hot on driver and cold on passenger and i cant change temp on my digital display it is at 73 degrees ,turn it real slow can sometime get 72 thats it, i want to take it in for a freeon refresh , refill, but not with a mechanical problem, any one please help , note i did have a broken wire o0n my hi side pressure switch, corrected that,
Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
bcarp
Pro

Hi, if you are 100% sure that your actuators are working properly, the problem has to be in one of two areas. Either the control head is not sending the proper temp signal to the dr side actuator, or the refrigerant levels are not right. Post your refrigerant pressures at 2000 rpms and what the ambient temp, and humidity is. We can isolate this problem but need the input from you so that we don't run in circles. The system is really not that mysterious. You just need to chase it down systematically. Also put the dr side temp dial at 60, and the pass side straight up, and see if you don't get cold on both sides.
Good Luck
Hello, I think the actuators are working properly they seem to move what looks to be full swing. I believe all of the refrigerant levels are ok since when I had the actuator off I moved the shaft the actuator moves by hand and it was cooling like it should. Before I took everything apart I had the driver temp at 60 and the passenger straight up and it was warm on the driver and cold on the passenger. Do you know if my control head could also cause me to be getting the dtc codes I am getting? My next step is to put everything back together and try a control head from a friends 02 vette. I am at work right now so I cant get the pressures until later. Does it look like I am headed in the right direction now?
Thanks Bob
Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default AC Problems

HI BOB, It sounds like the proper amount of cooling is there, when you manually moved the actuator into the cooling position. So that leave the actuator or the control head. You said that you did the fuse #27 pull unsuccessfully. Did you place the new actuator back properly--SEE Below
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Position the LH temperature valve electric actuator, then align the slots in the electric actuator driver to the flats on the LH temperature valve shaft.
Slide the electric actuator driver onto the shaft, while aligning the actuator locating hole to the forward alignment pin on the HVAC module case. The actuator driver should completely seat onto the temperature valve shaft and be the actuator mounting holes should be flush with the mounting bosses on the HVAC module case.

And then do the recalibrate properly--SEE BELOW
On the 98's you must remove the fuse #27 before removing the actuator, then replace it with the ig key in the off position and battery power in place after the new actuator is replaced. If you need to recalibrate after the install the procedure is as follows.
Re-Calibrating Actuators
Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

Turn OFF the ignition.
Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse #27 of the HVAC Control Module.

Important
The module memory will not clear if the battery positive voltage circuit fuse is installed in less than 60 seconds.

Wait 60 seconds.
Install the fuse.

If none of this works then you have to go through the detailed diagnostics to pinpoint it. It is quite lengthy so I am sending you a PM with the files to diagnose codes B0441, and B0361. Yes you could pop in a known good control head and if that works then you don't have to do the diagnostics.
PM SENT
Good Luck
EDIT, sorry don't see a way to attach files using the PM function or the email function. Send me your email and I will send you the diagnostic files, if you feel you need them.

EDIT 2-- One thing I forgot, there was a procedure to reindex the actuators on the early models pre 2001, SEE below link. Read entire thread, very informative.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1465931
The best thing to do is to make sure the new part you get is a post 2001 unit , they don't seem to need reindexing.

Edit 3--You got them bob

Last edited by bestvettever; 07-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default AC Problem

Originally Posted by ace48
my 2001 is hot on driver and cold on passenger and i cant change temp on my digital display it is at 73 degrees ,turn it real slow can sometime get 72 thats it, i want to take it in for a freeon refresh , refill, but not with a mechanical problem, any one please help , note i did have a broken wire o0n my hi side pressure switch, corrected that,
Hi ACE, your problem would seem to be the control head. It should change reading even if the actuator is bad. It is not sending the right signal. It needs to be repaired or replaced. There are a few guys on here that can repair them.
Good Luck
Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hi ACE, your problem would seem to be the control head. It should change reading even if the actuator is bad. It is not sending the right signal. It needs to be repaired or replaced. There are a few guys on here that can repair them.
Good Luck

Contact this guy. He's repairs the controllers. He was a CF member at one time(mandigital.)
digitalguy_1@charter.net
Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 AM
burnside99
Intermediate

I have a 99 coupe had the same problem warm on driver side cool on passenger took it down to the shop had the cooling system checked they added some freon problem gone.If you pulled the 27 fuse and heard the door move I would check the freon next.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me once and all I did was diconnect the battery for about 3 minute and wha la problem solved.

Quick Reply: [a/c problem]Usual warm driver side/cool pass. side BUT