C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tranny help in Camp Lejeune NC

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
firstvette98
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tranny help in Camp Lejeune NC

Ok I really need some advice for this one. I put my 98 A4 vert into drive and everything was fine. I stopped at a gas station and went I put it into park i noticed the shifter was really loose. I left the car runnig and when I let off the brake to get out the car rolled forward. Me being the genius that I am turned the car off. The shifter is loose and slides through 1-D and stops in nuetral. The shifter will go into park but it's like the car is still in drive. My car obviously will not start but everything else works. I talked with a guy at the gas station an he said he thinks that the linkage between the shifter and the tranny broke. Has anyone had this problem or is my tranny shot? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Mac
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Midnight Rambler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, I've never heard of such a problem but I think the guy at the gas station was right. It sounds like your shifter linkage is broken.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

It is not uncommon for the cable on these things to break. It's a pain to replace but not too big of a job if you know what you're doing. I would recommend you ask for Donny at Marine Chevrolet and I guarantee he will get it fixed correctly. If you do take it to them, it will not be inexpensive, but be sure to ask that only Donny work on it. He's the best Corvette mechanic they have.

You can also talk to Todd at Jackson Auto Sales just up Highway 24 past Richlands in Beulaville. (910) 298-4722 His shop has completed more award winning frame offs on Corvettes than any shop in the area. They're doing a frame-off on my '63 right now but they work on all generations of Corvettes. I would highly recommend them and their labor rates are substantially less that Marine Chevrolet... just not as convenient for you. Oh and he's replaced the shift cable on a 2003 anniversary convertible with just under 100 miles on it!

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
AFTRBRNR
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Link up with the local Corvette club; Caro-Vettes. Talk to Jim Roddy, he has a shop on Brynn Marr Rd. in that little store complex. It's called "Fast N' Clean." Take a left at the KFC on Western BLVD if you are coming from base and his store will be on the left.

He can help you diagnose the problem. We also know a very good mechanic that does excellent work for low prices. Good luck. I'd help but I'm not exactly home at the moment
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
firstvette98
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks gents for all the advice. I've been looking for some people around here that work on vettes. I will link up with Caro-vettes and I will check the shops you recommended.

Thanks

Cody

Get notified of new replies

To Need Tranny help in Camp Lejeune NC

Quick Reply: Need Tranny help in Camp Lejeune NC