C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 09:18 AM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And

if so, what are you using in case of a flat tire? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2001, 09:28 AM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (XTrooper)

I'm running Sumitomos, and using AAA if I get a flat. :yesnod:

Eric
Old 12-23-2001, 09:39 AM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (oceanaire)

Well, a cell phone call definitely doesn't fall under the "safe and reliable" category here in the mountains where there are lots of "No Service" dead spots.

Steve
Old 12-23-2001, 09:41 AM
R BONUS
Instructor

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (oceanaire)

Eric,

Unlikely AAA will have a jack low enough to go under a Vette. :nonod:

I had a flat on my F250 Diesel Ford pickup and the guy they sent to change my tire didn't have a jack strong enough to lift my truck, he told me the customer is supposed to have a jack for the vehicle. I called my son to bring me a jack from my garage.

Of course, I guess they will flatbed you home. :cheers:

Jim
Old 12-23-2001, 09:45 AM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (R BONUS)

Eric,

Unlikely AAA will have a jack low enough to go under a Vette. :nonod:

I had a flat on my F250 Diesel Ford pickup and the guy they sent to change my tire didn't have a jack strong enough to lift my truck, he told me the customer is supposed to have a jack for the vehicle. I called my son to bring me a jack from my garage.

Of course, I guess they will flatbed you home. :cheers:

Jim
That's why I got AAA plus. More free towing miles. I really don't like the idea of even putting it on a flat bed. So I hope someone can answer the original question of this post. I would like to know also. :cheers:
Old 12-23-2001, 09:54 AM
R BONUS
Instructor

I just put on BFG Gforce KD's, and I plan on carrying a plug kit and a small air pump, just in case there is some snafu with my AAA Plus not being able to service me. :smash: :D

Jim
Old 12-23-2001, 10:13 AM
MilYellow02
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (XTrooper)

I think they sell a plug kit that comes standard on the Z06. Oh and also like mentioned above, a cell phone :cheers:
Old 12-23-2001, 10:26 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Well, a cell phone call definitely doesn't fall under the "safe and reliable" category here in the mountains where there are lots of "No Service" dead spots.

Steve
We ride the mtns frequently & there is NO place to pull over, so IMHO run-flats are the only way to go. Since GY EMT's suck, we switched to Yoko run-flats. Haven't driven on them yet, but everything I have read is very positive.

Old 12-23-2001, 10:31 AM
R BONUS
Instructor

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (Sully C5)

Sully C5,

When Mike Norris gets that "Big" motor in your car, Your going to need more "meat" on the back end! :jester :cheers:

Jim
Old 12-23-2001, 11:03 AM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (Sully C5)

We ride the mtns frequently & there is NO place to pull over, so IMHO run-flats are the only way to go. Since GY EMT's suck, we switched to Yoko run-flats. Haven't driven on them yet, but everything I have read is very positive.
I'm starting to think you're right about this. I wanted to get away from the run-flats, but I believe I'm stuck with them. Those Yokohamas look nice! Did you get them locally or via an Internet vendor? Thanks!

Steve
Old 12-23-2001, 11:52 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Steve, we ordered them through a local dealer; however, you should be able to get them via Tirerack.

There are stretches in the mtns around here where there are series of blind S-turns, with absolutely no way to pull over. An inopportune flat could be a disaster! :eek:
Old 12-23-2001, 12:01 PM
rocknrod
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are also Firestone run flats.
However I went to Goodyear F1's, Z rated on all corners.
Have AAA plus, and a cell phone, a plug kit and a ac/dc pump in the little trunk
compartmnt........
They are quieter, and STICK better for sure on corners, especially eccelerating out of corners AND smoother. :yesnod:
Old 12-23-2001, 12:34 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

We ride the mtns frequently & there is NO place to pull over, so IMHO run-flats are the only way to go.
I understand your point, but what if you were driving one of the majority of cars that has non-runflats and a spare in the trunk? You would still have to deal with no-where to pull over.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Snuckley
Racer

When I am going far I carry two 2x12'sx15in. beveled, lug wrench, hockey puck,little junk yard scissors jack,17in GS wheel with a race tire(better than nothing),road flare.............I think a 17in F body wheel fits, you could find a junkyard wheel and put a cheap tire on it.If you have your own stuff you dont have to worry about what a tow truck may or may not have.Before you drive around with a plug kit, try plugging a few tires, then plug one on a corvette on the ground not jacked up.My first couple plugs were crap. Dont forget your locking lugnut gizmo if you have them... :flag
Old 12-23-2001, 12:48 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (jschindler)

I could never go back to runflats now, the performance you sacrifice with having them is just too much. They are also very expensive for the performance they offer and they are a throw-away tire. If they are damaged, and you drive on them to get home, the tire is usually trash.

I carry a small jack from a honda civic, along with a plug kit, can of fix-a-flat, small 12v air compressor, and of course my cel phone.

I have not had any issues yet and feel I am ready to handle one if it comes up. These plug kits are suprisingly easy to use and come in very handy. Also, when you go to non-runflats, you still have your air pressure sensors on the DIC to let you know when you are losing air. This gives you a chance to get somewhere safe as quickly as possible.

In my opinion, people worry way too much about ditching the runflats... I know I will get flamed for this one, but oh well.

[Modified by MattG, 11:50 AM 12/23/2001]
Old 12-23-2001, 03:27 PM
XTrooper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Steve, we ordered them through a local dealer; however, you should be able to get them via Tirerack.

There are stretches in the mtns around here where there are series of blind S-turns, with absolutely no way to pull over. An inopportune flat could be a disaster! :eek:
Thanks for the info, Sully! :)

Yeah, ditto on the ugly stretches of road. A flat at one of those locations would most definitely SUCK! :cry

Steve
Old 12-23-2001, 03:34 PM
alan33
Racer

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (MattG)

So Matt:

What non-runflat tires did you go with?

Alan

Get notified of new replies

To For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And

Old 12-23-2001, 03:39 PM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (alan33)

So Matt:

What non-runflat tires did you go with?
At first I went with the NITTO 555s all around. They are an incredible tire for the price but I needed something that would handle agressive cornering a bit better. I went with the BFG Gforce KD next and there is no turning back. These tires are truly amazing. I have never driven or raced on a tire that handled like these. They are very controllable even when you are past their traction limits. This was very important to me because often I have to use one set of tires for roadracing, autocrossing and street driving. I have even made a few trips down the 1/4 with these tires and was pretty impressed with their straight line traction. They also are not THAT bad in the rain and are pretty quiet. I just hope they come out with some wider sizes in the years to come so I can stick with them.

Old 12-23-2001, 03:59 PM
alan33
Racer

Default Re: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And (MattG)

I went with the BFG Gforce KD next and there is no turning back. These tires are truly amazing. I have never driven or raced on a tire that handled like these. They are very controllable even when you are past their traction limits. This was very important to me because often I have to use one set of tires for roadracing, autocrossing and street driving. I have even made a few trips down the 1/4 with these tires and was pretty impressed with their straight line traction. They also are not THAT bad in the rain and are pretty quiet. I just hope they come out with some wider sizes in the years to come so I can stick with them.
Thanks for the reply. I am in a similar situation in wanting a road tire that I can take to the track. I was originally thinking BFG T/A R1 (since they were the only one with sizes to fit stock Corvette rims, I have an extra set to use on the track) for the track only, but they quit making them anyway. I will look into the BFG KDs, sounds like they might work and would preclude changing tires if the weather was not cooperating that day.

Take Care,

Alan
Old 12-23-2001, 04:28 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

if so, what are you using in case of a flat tire? Thanks!

I've got a tire plug kit and cigarette-lighter powered air compressor in the back middle compartment under the cover.

Quick Reply: For Those Of You Using Non-Runflat Tires, Is There A Reliable, Safe Alternative And