C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac problem did die test

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
tonycorvettehd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ac problem did die test

help,,ac people ,,,,98 convertible ac works good but after adding refrigent it last about a week,,,,,i got one of those die test kits and i sell the yellow around the inlet where you add refrig and funny thing is i see the compressor has die around it like in the middle not on the ends about 2 inches all around it like you would paint just the middle,none by the connections,,what do you think?there is no cover on both connections,is that possiable it would leak there...thanks tony
Old 06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is rather common for the body of the compressor to leak as you are describing.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
tonycorvettehd
Instructor

Default ok ?

do you think thats ok or is that my leak?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is dye leaking from the seam in the compressor that is your leak... or one of them at least. The dye is designed to show up at even the smallest of leaks.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
tonycorvettehd
Instructor

dye is not leaking,it looks like the thing was painted with a paint brush ,it doesn't look like you would expect a leak to look,i put about a half of can and it cold again running good for now
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM
TTK98
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Robls6 says. Never seen the case painted with a brush and dye is dye , usually fluorescent green viewed with a black light.The o-rings in the case do fail and start leaking. You can continue adding refrigerent but keep in mind it is also loosing oil with the gas. The service ports where you attach your hoses have schrader valves with removable cores that can also leak.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Problem

Hi, if the refridgerant is leaking out in only a week, you should replace the compressor. As mentioned with the ref leak, the oil is also diminishing, and if not replaced in proper amounts, the compressor is going to self destruct, and cause a bigger job down the road.Ref can leak anywhere there is a seam or opening. The compressor has a control valve in the center section which can leak and spread the dye around. The port that shows green is the service port and while it could have a leaking schrader valve in it. it is more likely that some of the dye got around the opening when you installed it.
Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To ac problem did die test

Quick Reply: ac problem did die test