C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B bullts + cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&B bullts + cam

hey guys, have an 01 z i'm trying to decide what exhaust to get, i like it loud! but good sounding

from what i keep reading everyone rants and raves about the longtubes and bullet combo. From what i heard on youtube they make the car sound like its under water, and when you put a cam in it, you can't really hear the cam because the exhaust is so deep...anyone else share this opinion? i want my exhaust setup to chop when i get a cam in the future
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TrchRedC5
hey guys, have an 01 z i'm trying to decide what exhaust to get, i like it loud! but good sounding

from what i keep reading everyone rants and raves about the longtubes and bullet combo. From what i heard on youtube they make the car sound like its under water, and when you put a cam in it, you can't really hear the cam because the exhaust is so deep...anyone else share this opinion? i want my exhaust setup to chop when i get a cam in the future
I'm running DTE Long Tubes, X-Pipe, Hi Flow cats, 243 Ported Heads, and a Torquer V2 (232/234 .595/.598 @ 114 LSA so not as lopey as a 112 LSA) camshaft. ~410whp. I have some audio that may help.

Here's mine - Not a great clip though, I should've recorded a little longer behind it and let it settle into the lope a hair more...
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=DSCN0631.flv

From what I've heard - a LOT of LS engines sound like Motorboats at idle with various exhaust systems. And in my opinion, the bullets don't give that same pitter-patter motor boat sound. It doesn't come across well on this camera because of the auto-dampening volume, but I'm idling at 101 db from 10 feet. Which means, you'll feel your shirt moving, and each beat of the engine across the hairs on your arm... lol

Now - when I revved it - thats over 130dB from 10ft, and will seriously make your ears ring. It's painful, i'm not kidding, stand 10ft behind the car at 6000 RPM and you'll be plugging your ears...

Now, in the cabin it gets pretty loud too, and a lot of people don't like it... I however, really enjoy the sounds, it's not too droney (IMO) and always has a nice growl to it...

Here's another drive by vid.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=MOV00097.flv

Notice - the camera is like 100ft+ away and you can still hear the engine idling - and thats from in front of the car... lol

Bullets are not for everyone, but if you like loud - these have an amazing sound! Trumpety, but not too raspy, and not a bad motor boat sound (unlike a lot of baffled exhausts...)

Hope that helps!
-Dan
Old 06-13-2008, 07:21 AM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

yes it does help thanks a bunch.
this is basically the sound i'm after ( i know it has a cam, but just try to ignore the chop) i just think the same exact car same setup, only bullets you'd hear the chop ALOT LESS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJqd...eature=related

this guy says he has ghl and i found a clip or 2 online and it doesn't sound like this car.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:53 AM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

My 2002 Z 402, big cam, ARH 1 7/8" long tubes, O/R 3" X-pipe, B&B Bullets.

It is mean as hell. Video doesnt do it justice as far as loudness. The car will ABSOLUTELY wake the dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tvnqz5-RJc
Old 06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Sorry I dont have a video clip..but I have heard plenty of cars with the set up you describe (bullelts, headers and cam) and they do not sound like motorboat. IMO the Corsa's and a few other of the more "tame" exhausts have the motorboat sound.
I am running longtubes, cam, and B&B PRT's and dont have that motorboat sound. Alot of the lope and chop you want to hear is gonna depend on what your idle is set at, cam size and tune.

I had Borla stingers on my car at one point with the cam, and it did hide the chop a tad but not much.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Here is a video of my car:

Heads/Cam/LG Pro's/B&B Bullets.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corv...php?photo=1246

I removed the bullets a few weeks after the heads cam. They REALLY were too loud. I liked them before the heads/cam, but after was just nuts. My door pannels in both my doors would vibrate at certain RPM's. These cause a lot of resonance. Partition did nothing for the resonaonce either. If your ok with that then go for it ! They are attention getters for sure !

Here is what it sounds like with Corsa Touring. I'm tossing around the idea to try Corsa Indy's to get a little more volume, but staying with Corsa for the engineering and NO resonance. I don't mind LOUD, but the resonance is just insane with the Bullets.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 06-13-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Vette-Red
Racer

With a cam and longtubes the bullets are going to drone like heck. I replaced my bullets with the prt's and now with the NXT STEP catback. I took a video of the new catback but it was inside my shop and it doesn't do it justice. I will pull it out and re record it.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

i just ordered bullets, i was back and forth between them and the prt's. from what i searched the prt's are quite a bit quieter?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Brianj
Heel & Toe

My Favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ANak8V7bo0
Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

mine too, i've probably watched that 30-40 times. i like how its not deep and raspy
Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

mine too, i've probably watched that 30-40 times. i like how its raspy and not deep
Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Vette-Red
Racer

Here's mine with the prt's and the cam. The chop sound has alot to do with the idle speed.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 AM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette-Red
Here's mine with the prt's and the cam. The chop sound has alot to do with the idle speed.

man that clip makes me want to call and cancel the bullets and get prt's. How much lounder are the bullets that the prt's? i think i like the sound of the prt's a little better, but want it LOUD!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Brianj
Heel & Toe

Thats awesome i love that!

Get notified of new replies

To B&B bullts + cam

Quick Reply: B&B bullts + cam