C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer replacement under dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:26 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Joey

I'd strongly recommend you dont try a PCM swap given your lack of knowledge

I've had my Vette for 6 years and I spend a lot of time here on the Forum. A PCM change is a major job on a very complex car. Black Z06 is one of the smartest guys here on the Forum so I'd take his advice.

Its not often I say this but take it to a dealer.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:22 AM
JOEY P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about this.
We provide a detailed instruction for the passlock relearn. This is the procedure that you are refering to. This allows the computer to learn the password from the BCM in order for the fuel system to function and start the vehicle
Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JOEY P
What about this.
We provide a detailed instruction for the passlock relearn. This is the procedure that you are refering to. This allows the computer to learn the password from the BCM in order for the fuel system to function and start the vehicle
What ever you do, make sure you disconnect your battery first before attempting to swap out the PCM.

If the vette is not your daily driver, you could find a tune shop that could reprogram your PCM for you.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
JOEY P
Instructor

I asked this before, Could the pcm that is currently in the car with the password on it or otherwise locked be wiped clean and then reloaded. So then I would not have to replace the pcm. But I have not recived an answer on this....Belive me I would rather just do that than replace the pcm. The pcm that I have now is working it is just locked.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:43 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Could the pcm that is currently in the car with the password on it or otherwise locked be wiped clean and then reloaded.
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=82830

http://www.enhancedautomotive.com.au/index.php
Old 06-08-2008, 02:51 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I asked this before, Could the pcm that is currently in the car with the password on it or otherwise locked be wiped clean and then reloaded. So then I would not have to replace the pcm. But I have not recived an answer on this....Belive me I would rather just do that than replace the pcm. The pcm that I have now is working it is just locked.
Just need to find a shop that has the right equipement.

Call the Guys at ECS, FLP, A&A, RPM, etc and see if they can help.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM
JOEY P
Instructor

I just talked to mike at straightline performance and he said that you will have to install another pcm if it is locked. But it has to have the stock tune on it and your vin number which has to be done with a Tech 2......And then when you do the install you just have to let it learn the bcm with the instructions that are provided. Straightline Performance located in New Lenox Il, And also mike is a tuner on this site.

Last edited by JOEY P; 06-09-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A new (to you anyway) PCM sounds like a viable option for you. A 'mail order tune' was one of my fist mods, from these guys: http://www.wait4meperformance.com/ The guys you are talking to sound like they could be better than what i used.

It is not a real bad job, but frustraiting. The area where the computer is located will be very dirty. And its a PIA reaching the screws for the PCM bracket. You can't see a couple of them. I broke my bracket trying to take it out, so be careful. It may break anyway, they get brittle and are exposed to battery vapors, but its only a few bucks for a new one.

Follow the instructions and it should not be a problem. And, it gives you a chance to clean up under the battery. You most likely have a lot of battery acid hanging around that can lead to problems.

As always, taking it to someone else for labor is aleays easier LOL...
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MattB
A new (to you anyway) PCM sounds like a viable option for you. A 'mail order tune' was one of my fist mods, from these guys: http://www.wait4meperformance.com/ The guys you are talking to sound like they could be better than what i used.

It is not a real bad job, but frustraiting. The area where the computer is located will be very dirty. And its a PIA reaching the screws for the PCM bracket. You can't see a couple of them. I broke my bracket trying to take it out, so be careful. It may break anyway, they get brittle and are exposed to battery vapors, but its only a few bucks for a new one.

Follow the instructions and it should not be a problem. And, it gives you a chance to clean up under the battery. You most likely have a lot of battery acid hanging around that can lead to problems.

As always, taking it to someone else for labor is aleays easier LOL...

Matt,

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Computer replacement under dash