C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Nightmare to Clutch Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:40 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 165 Posts

There are many threads on this subject. The TICK master cylinder FIXES all the problems with sticking clutch/ high RPM shifting issues,etc.. Just type Tick master cylinder on search. Our clutch master is the weak link on the C5 driveline.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agree about the master cylinder and when mine screws up I will replace it with a tick. Notice they use a larger lines. In my MHO its about moving the fluid quickly . Do you have a tick master on yours? I so how do you like it?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:50 AM
rich65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also pick a Tick cylinder in mine and i haven't had the sticky clutch .
Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
BTHRB4U
Instructor

ive had the sticky pedal with an ls7 clutch, tried all that time consuming bs, nothing worked either. The main reason for the sticky pedal is heat, whether it be in your hydrolics, or clutch assembly. Mine was due to heat on the pressure plate making the clutch plate itself stick to the pressure plate. I am going to a monster stage 5 and hopefully that will solve the problem. from all the reviews and the chats with the dealers they handle the heat better then most twin disc set ups. Swapping to a better flywheel that can handle the heat better should also help eliminate the problem.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

i have a strange problem, i had in my c5 z06 H/C pakadge, and spec 3 + and hurst shifter and it maid 440rwp, trap 123mph 1/4, and was very good in power shifting, could shift so fast....

then i changed out my 346ci for new ls2 402 and new cam, but used all my other parts, for some reason i ordered a new clutch disc, because some thought it was a little bit worne but the PP was ok, alignend the flywheel, but i didn´t get spec 3+, instead only spec 3 (6 arms) disc, but i putted it together, after i asked them in spec if i could.

now i have done whith breake in about 850 miles, and started to rev it up, and it´s hard to put it in gears on high rev, can not power shift it, put the pedal is not so sticky at all, always comes back up again.

what can this be?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM
allngn_c5
Racer

I had LGM install an Exedy twin plate in 2006 for my H/C 346 rated at 457 rwhp 417 rwtq. I have since grown to a 541 rwhp 505 rwtq ls2 402 and still running the exedy twin plate. No issues at all.

Vengeance Racing showed me how easy it is to remove the bad clutch fluid and just refill. As the fluid is cycled through the system the bad black crap is forced to the top. Repeat the process until only clean looking fluid remains. Check weekly if you drive your car a lot, race, or just to be **** retentive. Hope my comments helped.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:55 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

So I bought the Centerforce 12" Dual Friction Clutch, really good price.

Its sitting on my shelf, I haven't had a weekend to install it yet. I'll try to get it installed along with a new slave (again) sometime in July... hopefully...

I'll post my results if the sticky pedal problem goes away

Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
BLNSVT420
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LF97C5Vette
So I bought the Centerforce 12" Dual Friction Clutch, really good price.

Its sitting on my shelf, I haven't had a weekend to install it yet. I'll try to get it installed along with a new slave (again) sometime in July... hopefully...

I'll post my results if the sticky pedal problem goes away

Dan
By chance, any results yet? I read every single post in this 8 pg thread! It's clutch time for me!!

Have all of you been making this swap at home or paying out labor? Doesn't look as easy as my past stangs and way more time consuming!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:12 PM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLNSVT420
By chance, any results yet? I read every single post in this 8 pg thread! It's clutch time for me!!

Have all of you been making this swap at home or paying out labor? Doesn't look as easy as my past stangs and way more time consuming!
I haven't had a chance to swap it. I've been so busy this summer with work, and my Econobox crapped out on me, so now I'm daily driving the Vette I can't have it out of service for a weekend...

I really need to get the swap done this summer, but I'm not sure thats gonna happen...

I'll be sure to post when I do.

I've done the work at home (on a slave so 90% of a clutch job) and its not too bad, takes all weekend, but nothing really hard. There's good writeups on the swap available online.

It takes a while, so paying for the labor would be a pretty penny...

-Dan
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
B Neat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 4 or 5 now and it's way faster after the first couple. (I have a lift so that helps a lot)
If you tranny comes out with this much still attached then you've done it just about as fast as possible

Did I mention that I have 46,000 miles on my Exedy twin disc? Did I mention I have at LEAST 550 whp? Did I mention that I drive it like I stole it? Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
BLNSVT420
Intermediate

Thanks for the fast replies!

More than likely, probably on jack stands if I can even get the car high enough....

Great picture!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
260B4U
Racer

my pedal goes to the floor on start up and my fluid resivor is empty about every two weeks but i dont see fluid leaking anywhere so where is it going ????
Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 260B4U
my pedal goes to the floor on start up and my fluid resivor is empty about every two weeks but i dont see fluid leaking anywhere so where is it going ????
Remove your inspection cover and look up to where both the lines go into the slave unit and see if its wet up in there. If its leaking down into that area it might be puddling inside there or dripping along the lines up there and along there somewhere and onto the tunnel plate which mine was doing.

Or

Look above the clutch pedal and see if your clutch master is leaking down onto the carpet or behind it on the firewall.

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 10-26-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Ron222
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LF97C5Vette
I haven't had a chance to swap it. I've been so busy this summer with work, and my Econobox crapped out on me, so now I'm daily driving the Vette I can't have it out of service for a weekend...

I really need to get the swap done this summer, but I'm not sure thats gonna happen...

I'll be sure to post when I do.

I've done the work at home (on a slave so 90% of a clutch job) and its not too bad, takes all weekend, but nothing really hard. There's good writeups on the swap available online.

It takes a while, so paying for the labor would be a pretty penny...

-Dan
Hi Dan;
Did you ever get around to swapping out that Clutch? I'm running into the same problem on my '04 and am looking into putting in a new clutch, from what I've read on your 8 page post...Centerforce seems to be the way to go but wanted to know how you made out, if it stopped the sticky pedal problem and what you think before I go ahead and do it. Great Post BTW.

Ron
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08 AM
B Neat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update: My Exedy twin now has over 50,000 miles on it and still launches great! I'll be taking a look at it soon because my torque tube couplers are shot....again.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:09 AM
padojada
Instructor

So Dan, any luck?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by padojada
So Dan, any luck?
I think I'm gonna give Tom a call at Wong's Performance Engineering... I'm tired of waiting to have a chance to install this clutch, and I'm not sure I'll ever get around to doing it myself... LOL Things have been too crazy for me...

I still haven't forgot about this thread... I'll be sure to post my results when I get it done...

Centerforce 12" Dual Friction <crosses fingers>

-Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Nightmare to Clutch Heaven

Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
billymz28
Instructor

I have had sticky clutch on my head and cam SS and on my vette. I installed the tick master on both cars and never had a problem. My friend also did a tick on his head and cam vette and no problems on his either.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
I did exactley the same with the same results.

Before I did this I did the ranger method with about 100 bucks worth of fluid and no change in clutch performance. I didn't even to be rodding mine for it to hapen. I could let the clutch out on a normal 1-2 shift drive 1-200 miles, nail the gas and when it was time to catch 3rd there was no one home, pedal on the floor. I replaced the master and flushed more and no luck.

Replaced the clutch and slave and added a remote bleeder and the problem has never resurfaced. I shopped for a while and the most economical way to do this was:

12"CenterForcec from Summit 360
F1 flywheel off Ebay for 160
Pilot and slave from the local dealer.

No problems since.

I did find when I cracked mine open the the clutch appeared to be in good shape and the car already had a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel in it(that is for sale BTW), but it looked like a stock clutch.

Good luck.
I also replaced my slave, pilot bearing, master, remote bleeder, centerforce clutch, and fidanza aluminum flywheel which completely eliminated the sticky pedal that I previously had.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Good thread this...some real interesting posts too from all angles... although i gotta admit, im more so swung toward believing its all down to the PP.

I notice theres alot of guys posting without stating what power the car is, or what mods are done.

I DONT have the sticky pedal problem, have a full intake, L.T headers, x-pipe, high flow cats and tune... and making about 385 RWHP on last dyno..

But ive bought a new cam (whipelash ii) pulleys, Valve springs etc and injectors, so with a new tune it should be making well over 400RWHP.. but i dont want to get the car going, and imediatly have to put it back up on the ramp for a clutch, so i was planning on doing the lot at once.

I was originally going with the tex.. but there does seem to be a few persuading problems with them to stop me wanting that clutch.. so it seems my next best options are a 12" centreforce, spec3 or a twin exedy.

I hear the spec three can take away from drivability, and i understand the centreforce seems to keep a fairly stock feel?? nothing though on this front about the twindisk (although it took a fair amount of time reading all 8 pages, so perhaps i may have forgotten! haha)

So whats the pricing like on the 12" centreforce and twin exedy?
Postage to irelands not cheap.. so ide like to get this right 1st time round! ha

ALSO.. my cars an 03 Z with 9000 miles on it... is there REALLY a need to change the hydraulics>?.. i dont want to be going in there twice, so i understand changing them on a 'just incase basis' ... but at only 9000 miles?

Quick Reply: Clutch Nightmare to Clutch Heaven