C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Fan Speed Wird After Dim Display Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
indieaz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Fan Speed Wird After Dim Display Fix

I re-soldered some bad solder joints to fix my dim AC control display. Display works great now, but fan controls are wacky. When increasing my fan speed and decreasing about half of the time the display will show an additional bar for the fan speed (or one less if decreasing) but fan speed won't change.

Also, a few times i've increased my fan speed by multiple settings (ie from 2 bars to 5) and no change...then when i DECREASE fan speed one notch (4 bras now) fan speed will suddenly increase. Same goes with decreasing the speed down multiple settings.

The other oddity was at one point my AC suddenly switched to dash/floor mix and i had to set it back to dash only (setting this works fine...but strange that it mysteriously changed on it's own while driving).

One other oddity...occasionally when i turnt he AC on the fans won't kick on at all, and i need to tamper with the normal/recirulate settings or fan speed a bit in order ot get the fans to come on at all.

Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

Generic advice, but it certainly seems that you are shorting something out. My only advice is to open the unit back up and see if there are any solder blobs crossing over anything it shouldn't.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
indieaz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr.TT
Generic advice, but it certainly seems that you are shorting something out. My only advice is to open the unit back up and see if there are any solder blobs crossing over anything it shouldn't.
I took it out yesterday and there were certainly two blobs of solder that could have been shorting things out, i cleaned those up. Maybe I didn't clean them off enough, if no other ideas come up I might take it back out this weekend and try again.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Sonnynme
Cruising

Thats funny, I did the same thing last week and am getting the same results with my fan speed....most of the time it doesn't work at all. I did close the hood a little harder than I would like to have and it started working for awhile but now I can't get the blower on at all. One little oddity, a few weeks ago I turned the AC on and the blower started sounding like a crazy woman screaming....I turned it off and then back on and it stopped....hasn't done that since. I know there were no stray solder trails when I re-soldered them so I know that can't be the problem. Does any one know if there is a fan relay for these. I'm thinking that might be it. Haven't checked any codes yet either. But sure could use some help on this one, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sonnynme; 06-15-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Fan Speed Wird After Dim Display Fix

Quick Reply: HVAC Fan Speed Wird After Dim Display Fix