C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque tube / shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque tube / shifter question

I had a shifter issue a couple of days again and fixed it (basically the shifter plate came off the box holding the linkage).

Ok, the issue I am having is the neutral lock pin (aka an "allen head L shaped key") came out and fell into the " tranny well" / torque tube area.
I tried to find it with a light and then feeling along, I even snaked a vacuum hose in there to suck it out, but no luck.

So I thought that I would unbolt the bottom panel and get it out that way.... seemed easy enough since it is probably sitting on the bottom of that panel. Well then I got underneath and realized the exhaust runs down the center and to remove the torque tube cover panel, I would have to remove the exhaust. I had a feeling.... but you know sometimes you just dont realize it til you see it.

Well, now this is my question. Since I am not familiar with the torque tube area and all that is in the "well", would leaving the L shaped allen key in there hurt anything? Sure I know it might bounce around, and one day I might need that key, but will it really hurt anything?
Should I be worried if I drive it?

It would be awesome also if there was some picture of what is around the torque tube, or basically pictures of the underside of the car with the torque tube lower cover off.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

anyone?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You're talking the little pin at the front that is used to align the shifter? Don't worry about it, it'll just fall out when you drive.

There isn't much in the tunnel. It's just the steel tunnel in the car with a steel plate bolted to the bottom. It's open on both ends. The torque tube is just a big aluminum tube. There are some lines on the drivers side and a wiring harness attached along the torque tube on the other side.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You're fine I would not be concerned at all. However, if you want to try and get it out try a magnetic probe to get it (if you can). The best ones have a flexible shaft about 1 1/2 feet long. I have one that has a non magnetic cover over the magnet. Once you get it into the location you depress a button and the magnet comes out to grab the item, screw, etc. This keeps the magnet for trying attach to everything on the way to the item you want to retreive. Mine has been a lifesaver many times. Clumsy, Sam.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:08 PM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

dadaroo (aka clumsy sam)
please tell me where you were able to get this.
i sooo need something like this since i am clumsy or cursed jeff :-)

btw thanks guys....
i had a feeling but couldnt get under the car enough to look
Old 03-23-2013, 04:48 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can get the magnet at any auto parts store.

I would try/get it out of there.

You don't need an allen wrench or any thing else ( for that matter) laying around, inside that tube.

Oh, & fish the allen wrench out from where you dropped it (From inside the car)

You are not going to get to it by dropping the tunnel plate.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

bumble-z,
I appreciate the recommendation on where to get that tool, the issue is I was looking for the one he was describing. I know the auto parts stores have magnets or have magnets on a telescoping arm, but what dadaroo described sounded definitely more useful then those parts.

As for the allen key,
why would you say to get it from the inside of the car and why would you say I wouldnt get it from dropping the tunnel plate?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is a link to one like I have. Without the shield, the magnetic will stick to everything but what you want. Probably can find one similar at Sears, Harbor Frieght, Auto Stores, etc. Hope this helps, Sam

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-Tools-11163-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool-Flexible-Retriever-24-Long-/360608488847?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53f5f0dd8f&vxp=mtr
Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just remove the shifter box. Its secured with THREE bolts. Two on top and one on the shifter rod.

Retreive the L shapped pin and put the box back in. Re check/ readjust the box alignment. I would retreive it just because I that **** but, it you decide to leave it, it wont hurt a thing other you wont have the OEM bent piece of metal!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-24-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 AM
TKT-MKR
Burning Brakes

Bill,
Glad you chimed in.
And thank you all for the info.

I am wondering though... where the allen key dropped into... is it open on both ends which will allow for the key to eventually shimmy and fall out hopefully?

I didnt have my nuetral pin so I used an allen key.
When it was in there and I was working on it, it fell into that area under the shifter box.
I took the box off because I was trying to get the key and also trying to swap out the bushings for the zip red poly bushings. Even with the box off, I couldnt get my arms and hands down there enough to get the key. I think it actually bounced into the area under the torque tube.
I am very **** too, but the amount of work to get it out and if it causes now harm and if it will possibly bounce out because it is open underneath made me think it isnt worth trying to get it.

Is it open underneath that it is possible it will bounce out?

Thanks all
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES It is open on both ends and it will NOT hurt anything if you just forget about it.

If it were me, i would get a nice bright flashlight and a magnet and go fishing. If you really cant find it, NO HARM DONE.
Theres nothing in there that the little allen key can hurt.
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a picture of the cut away tunnel pictures I have.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Torque tube / shifter question

Quick Reply: Torque tube / shifter question