C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Recommendation - Based on my situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 189 Likes on 91 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Battery Recommendation - Based on my situation

Ok, my stock 2001 AC Delco AGM is ready to go. Had to charge it this past weekend, but was losing power by the hour.

My driving situation is as such:

Once or twice every couple weeks for 3 months, and then storage for 9 months.

Would I be better off going with the AC/Delco AGM, or something like a Optima Yellow Top? Or any other recommendations for that matter?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It'll be interesting to see if there's a consensus this time...

My choice has always been OPTIMA red top kept fully charged on a float maintenance type charger (BATTERY TENDER PLUS or CTEK) during extended periods of non use. Our daily drivers do not require the charger.
I've never had an OPTIMA fail and I've been using them since before they were even available to the public. My longest lasting red top was in a car for seven years, and was still going strong two years later for the new owner.
The debate will commence now...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57

My choice has always been OPTIMA red top kept fully charged on a float maintenance type charger (BATTERY TENDER PLUS or CTEK) during extended periods of non use. Our daily drivers do not require the charger.
I've never had an OPTIMA fail and I've been using them since before they were even available to the public. My longest lasting red top was in a car for seven years, and was still going strong two years later for the new owner.
Battery location dictates an AGM Battery. Battery maintainer a must if you don't drive car for 3 days or more.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by YLWFVR75
Ok, my stock 2001 AC Delco AGM is ready to go. Had to charge it this past weekend, but was losing power by the hour.

My driving situation is as such:

Once or twice every couple weeks for 3 months
Comment: Unless you want to have to hook up a battery tender, I recommend the AC Delco Professional battery. I holds a charge better than most AGM batteries and is far less likely to be seriously damaged if drained moderately.

and then storage for 9 months.
Comment: For this time period, you really should hook up a battery tender, regardless of the battery you have.
There's a good reason why AC Delco dumped AGM batteries - they can't take prolonged periods of not being charged, without sustaining irreparable damage.

I too, had my OEM AC Delco last 7 years and I recently elected to get the AC Delco Professional battery (Summit Racing sells them for $99.00). I really didn't want to have to buy a battery tender for times during which I was vacationing. My many years of using non-AGM batteries proved that they can sit for at least a couple of weeks without becoming too weak to start the car when I returned.

In summation, if you "baby" your batteries, a Red Top will probably last, but if you don't think that a battery should need to be babied, the AC Delco Professional is an excellent choice.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57

Well put!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
MY2KC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have gone through two red tops over the last couple of years and have not been impressed at all. A couple of months ago I went back to an AC Delco battery and have had not one problem. I wont be going back to the over priced red tops!

If I dont drive for a week or ten days it starts right up. If I know it will be closer to two or three weeks I do put it on a battery tender.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm an Optima fan but unless you buy a battery tender don't buy an AGM battery for irregular use. Once you discharge a Red Top it may be toast.

An AGM will never leak but you'd need to look after it. You'll also be safe with any of the new non AGM batteries but even then I'd put it on a tender or leave it unhooked.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default More Battery Stuff

Hello, I guess I'll put my 2c in since I've posted so much on batteries this year. There is a tremendous amount of controversary about which type and brand of battery is best. It all boils down to your particular circumstances, and if you want to take care of it properly. I've always had good luck with AC DELCO, and that is what I chose for my replacement last year in a few of my cars, I also bought an Optima for one of my cars. A recent test I did proved to me that the Delco is the better choice. See Link.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2020632

But just for your knowledge, AC Delco is no longer an AGM, it is a sealed maintenance free type. AC Delco's foray into AGM type batteries did not work out well for them and they decided that non AGM was a better product for their vehicles. True or not is up to the users to decide.
Below is some interesting reading on types of batteries and uses.
Good Luck See Below
The three most common types of CAR batteries are wet low maintenance (non-sealed), wet maintenance free (non-sealed or sealed),(this is the AC DELCO type now), and gas-recombinant absorbed glass mat (AGM). The low maintenance batteries have a lead-antimony/calcium (dual alloy or hybrid) plate formulation. Maintenance free batteries have a lead-calcium/calcium formulation. Some of the battery manufacturers, such as Johnson Controls,(Johnson now makes Delco), build "North" and"South" battery versions to make up for the differences in climates. The advantages of maintenance free batteries are less preventive maintenance, up to 250% less water loss, faster recharging, greater overcharge resistance, reduced terminal corrosion, up to 40% more life cycles, up to 200% less self discharge, and less danger to consumers because there is less to service. However, they are more prone to deep discharge (dead battery) failures due to increased shedding of active plate material and development of a barrier layer between the active plate material and the grid metal. If sealed, a shorter life in hot climates is often experienced because water cannot be replaced. Maintenance free batteries are generally more expensive than low maintenance batteries. In hot climates, buying non-sealed "South"-type low maintenance, maintenance free or absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery is recommended.
If you replace a sealed maintenance free battery in a GM car with a non-sealed lead-antimony or lead-antimony/calcium low maintenance battery, you will need to check the electrolyte levels more often. This is because GM sets their voltage regulators at higher charging voltage, 14.8 volts, to recharge the sealed maintenance free lead-calcium/calcium batteries, like the original AC Delco batteries.

One thing I will add, and say adamantly is that if you want to get the life and service that was designed into any battery, you must keep it charged, and that means in an infrequently used car, using a maintainer in the off times.

Last edited by bestvettever; 05-12-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

My original AC Delco (2000) lasted 8-1/2 yrs and probably would have lasted longer except the storeage guy forgot to put the tender on and the green eye went black. Just bought another Delco and since the dealer gives us Vette People a 25% discount, can't beat that deal.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:37 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any battery you buy should be paired with a Battery Tender Plus or equivalent maintainer since the car's electronics will drain any battery after 3 weeks of sitting (as also documented in the owners manual).

I replaced my Delco AGM 2 years ago with an Exide Orbital AGM because it was rated highly for occassional use, was rated higher (at least in my research) than the Optima line and was less expensive (I paid about $130 and NTB).

No problems since. I've been using a Battery Tender for 7 years during winter months and no issues with either the Delco AGM or Exide.

FYI - my original factory battery was replaced with the Delco AGM in 2001 due to leakage at the terminal, and the AGM did well for about 5 years until I noticed it was having trouble getting above 50% charge but it was still OK. I replaced it to avoid a hard failure.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say AC delco. A red top looks good, but if you forget once to put a charger on it will be on the fast track to the bone yard.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[In summation, if you "baby" your batteries, a Red Top will probably last, but if you don't think that a battery should need to be babied, the AC Delco Professional is an excellent choice.[/QUOTE]

How do you baby a battery?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Dave68
Race Director

You baby it by feeding it with a battery tender, even if the engine won't be started for only a week or two.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Autobot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy an optima and when you store your car, put the optima in you dd, then you don't need to keep it charged.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 AM
davesbedroom
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased a red top to replace stock AGM. When I store for the winter I take the battery out and keep it in a warm basement. This has worked great for me for 2 winters so far. The red top holds the charge being disconnected and she fires the vette right up when I put it back in the spring. I have to set the clock and that is it, OLI, trip A and B, and all my seating memory are kept in memory somehow, is there a battery in the computer I'm using up? In the spring through fall, I drive at least once a week.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Autocraft Titanium @ Advance Auto Parts. 1000CA, 800CCA (OE is rated at 600) Res 115Min. 3 yr free replacement, 72 mos prorated. Comes with top and side posts. About $83. Use maintainer, as needed, as suggested by others.

Have had one for almost 3 yrs. No problems. I have it sitting on an acid neutralizing mat in the battery tray.

Cheers

Last edited by PierEagle; 05-14-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Go to Sams $60 for a 900CCA 78

If you want a mat buy it. BIGHANK

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Recommendation - Based on my situation

Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 AM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 189 Likes on 91 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Dave68
Comment: Unless you want to have to hook up a battery tender, I recommend the AC Delco Professional battery. I holds a charge better than most AGM batteries and is far less likely to be seriously damaged if drained moderately.

Comment: For this time period, you really should hook up a battery tender, regardless of the battery you have.
There's a good reason why AC Delco dumped AGM batteries - they can't take prolonged periods of not being charged, without sustaining irreparable damage.

I too, had my OEM AC Delco last 7 years and I recently elected to get the AC Delco Professional battery (Summit Racing sells them for $99.00). I really didn't want to have to buy a battery tender for times during which I was vacationing. My many years of using non-AGM batteries proved that they can sit for at least a couple of weeks without becoming too weak to start the car when I returned.

In summation, if you "baby" your batteries, a Red Top will probably last, but if you don't think that a battery should need to be babied, the AC Delco Professional is an excellent choice.
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered up the Pro from Summit!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Padrino
Pro

Timing is everything and I started another thread in the last day regarding the AGM Odyssey batteries. Some other folks were kind to chime in with some excellent examples of using a smaller 925 series of the Odyssey as it not only seems to be working well but cuts about 25 lbs out of the weight.

However, I realize I'm pretty lazy about worrying about battery tenders, etc and I daily drive my car and love it. I was about to order the smaller Odyssey but after this thread I believe I'll just go with the type 78 as recommended for my 1999 C5 however, I'm going to use the AGM. Bought my C5 used and noticed the acid wash on the frame rail directly under the battery area when she's on the rack. Obviously, previous owner had a problem and I'm not going to risk it a second time. I'm not going to the RedTop for reasons they seem to have a high failure rate. These Odyssey AGM's are getting very high durability ratings on other web forums.

Can anyone give me their 2 cents on this before I spend a 2 hundred bucks??

Padrino
Old 05-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by YLWFVR75
Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered up the Pro from Summit!
EXCELLENT CHOICE!

Quick Reply: Battery Recommendation - Based on my situation