C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I change out my auto tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default should I change out my auto tranny fluid?

I have a 2000 vette that has 63000miles on it, last time I changed it was 4 yrs ago when my 3200 stall was installed...car runs and shifts fine but this year and last year I have been road racing with it and the tranny temps have started to overheat after about 25 minutes of hard driving on track in 70 degree weather....(260-275degrees) should I change the fluid or is it something else? I have a B&M tranny cooler installed too

some have said it needs to be changed, but I have heard stories about the trannys going after changing the fluid. The temps are totally normal and fine on the street and in very spirited driving, but are overheating on the track. also my rear diff seal is slightly leaking fluid as well....what should I do? I dont want to have to replace this tranny since its working fine..

anyone with same dilema?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM
nmbis2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When was the last time you looked under the car for any dead chickens blocking the airflow??

Those temps are high.

You likely drive much faster than I do, but my 2000 A4 also with the B&M flat plate cooler rarely sees 200. It is usually about 20-30 less than engine (water and oil) temp.

I think that the only thing I can do to help my 4L60-E is to change the fluid.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I've always wondered what the deal is with the tranny going after changing fluid as the OP stated. Anyone know what the true take is on that?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out F 14's tranny cooler and location.
His tranny over heated on a road run because of his 3200TC so he decided to do this.
Post#19
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2004325
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm gonna watch this thread closely. I have an 04 A4 with 40k miles. I was strongly considering treating my baby to an all-fluid change just for the hell of it. I know it sounds silly, but I had temp issues a while back until they replaced my fuse block (caused fan issues and P0480)- so temps in the Dallas heat were soaring. I'm sure I degraded my fluids somewhat, so I think it might be a good idea.

I'm really leaning towards Royal Purple all the way around.....CRANKCASE, TRANNY, REAR.

I'm even considering a coolant change but scared of that for some stupid reason. All I know is in the past everytime I changed coolant....BINGO I sprung a leak. Everytime I changed tranny fluid....Bingo I had tranny problems the following winter.

Is it just bad luck?? I have plenty of that ! Or is it a fact that new fluid swells seals and creates tranny issues....New coolant removes too much oxidation and springs leaks.

So I'll wait for the pro's to chime in.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:46 AM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

changing the fluid will not cause it to break unless you use the wrong fluid
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

ttt more replies and opinions please
Old 05-08-2008, 05:57 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

please move to autocrossing/road racing section
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I routinely change my tranny fluid every 30,000 miles. Bought it new have changed it twice. All is well with it,, besides if I throw a tranny guess I will have to buy a new Z06.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:29 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jimcork1
I routinely change my tranny fluid every 30,000 miles. Bought it new have changed it twice. All is well with it,, besides if I throw a tranny guess I will have to buy a new Z06.

And this won't cause a problem, but waiting until 90 or 120,000 might and usually does because its more of a shock to the system. Auto Transmissions are very complicated and need to be ultra clean to run right.

Same with coolant or any other maintenance.

Change the oil at 50,000 miles and see what happens?
I bet the car would run fine till 50,000 on the factory fill, but then when you changed it all hell would break loose (literally).
Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by mrm1149
I've always wondered what the deal is with the tranny going after changing fluid as the OP stated. Anyone know what the true take is on that?
Changing the fluid can cause debri to loosen up and get in areas it was not before causing new problems.

If you change it on a normal schedule that should not be as big of a problem however. There is a difference from changing the fluid and flushing the fluid.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by IBUID40
Changing the fluid can cause debri to loosen up and get in areas it was not before causing new problems.

If you change it on a normal schedule that should not be as big of a problem however. There is a difference from changing the fluid and flushing the fluid.
Is changing better than flushing.....I've only got 29,000 miles and no problems whatsoever. Don't know if it would be a good idea to change just for longevity. Plus I don't believe in doing unnecessary procedures that could actually wind up being counter-productive
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Is changing better than flushing.....I've only got 29,000 miles and no problems whatsoever. Don't know if it would be a good idea to change just for longevity. Plus I don't believe in doing unnecessary procedures that could actually wind up being counter-productive
Flushing changes all of the fluid

Changing only changes part of the fluid leaving behind possible problems
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Road racing causes fluid temps to increase.
A high stall converter causes fluid temps to increase.

Combine them and you get fluid temps to increase.

You see?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:24 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jrizzuto

I'm gonna watch this thread closely. I have an 04 A4 with 40k miles. I was strongly considering treating my baby to an all-fluid change just for the hell of it.
Looking to do this as well............but the quotes I am getting for the work are high. All these are dealers because I can't find a local with the machine to do a A4 flush

So to:

Flush and refill coolant w/DexCool
Flush and replace the A4 filter with GM fluids
Drain and replace the Diff fluid with GM fluids
Replace the fuel filter

Lowest quote is $415
Highest so far $650

Mine is a 99 with 36k, but I have only had it two years so these fluids may be 9 years OLD !

Last edited by jrprich; 05-08-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

You do not say how many miles you have on the tranny since you installed the 3200 stall converter, only that it has been about 4 years. Pull the stick and look at the condition of the fluid on the end. If the tranny fluid is discolored, brown, or smells like varnish, leave it alone. Your tranny is toast and just does not know it yet. Changing it now will kill it in short order. If the fluid on the end looks realtively fresh, nice redish pink, I would consider doing a tranny flush using a flush machine like the one made by BG products. This will replace all the fluid in the transmission including the fluid in the torque converter.

If this is the route you go, you should consider flushing the tranny at least every two years or 24K mi thereafter. Depending on your driving habits, you might need to flush more frequently if racing. I have had a lot of luck on my automatic tranny cars with changing fluid every 15K and flushing every 30K. Flushes are quite a bit more expensive but well worth the money. Good luck with it.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERCRUZ
Pull the stick and look at the condition of the fluid on the end.
C5's do not have a stick

Get notified of new replies

To should I change out my auto tranny fluid?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 PM
jrizzuto
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
Looking to do this as well............but the quotes I am getting for the work are high. All these are dealers because I can't find a local with the machine to do a A4 flush

So to:

Flush and refill coolant w/DexCool
Flush and replace the A4 filter with GM fluids
Drain and replace the Diff fluid with GM fluids
Replace the fuel filter

Lowest quote is $415
Highest so far $650

Mine is a 99 with 36k, but I have only had it two years so these fluids may be 9 years OLD !

Not sure if you can find one in your area, but Kwik Car can do the A4 flush. Pricing seems around the same, but I'm getting crankcase, tranny and diff...in the low $400's using Royal Purple.

And where is the fuel filter anyway???
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

thanks guys, I have changed my tranny fluid. the car had about 30000 miles on it when the converter was installed, and now it has 63000(est) so its about 30000 miles since it has been changed. the fluid was not bad, alittle burnt but nothing terrible. I did not flush it though, the fluid was just changed...it is hard to find places that flush it. the tranny is shifting fine and I hope it stays that way. the mechanic said that I should not have any problems with my tranny because it doesnt have high mileage, usually the high mileage trannys go when you change the fluid. Mines relatively clean so wish me luck
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 AM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thetaxman
C5's do not have a stick
Learn something new everyday here. I have an MN6 on my car so I am not familiar with the setup on the A4s. I figured most automatics have a dip stick to check the fluid level. In any event, I still stand behind what I said regarding the condition of the fluid and flushing it. Even if you have to get up under the car and pull a fill plug and stick your finger in there, check the condition of the fluid before you do anything. Just my $0.02. Good luck with it.

Last edited by SUPERCRUZ; 05-09-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: should I change out my auto tranny fluid?