C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulley squeel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default pulley squeel

so I have some birds chirping from under the hood in my 2000 coupe. Im sure she's just feeling neglected from all the time and work I have been putting into the 72 stingray lately. Almost ready for paint! Anyways, I was pretty sure it's the idler pulley by the alt and PS. I bought a new one at autozone and it didn't fix the problem.. it actually got worse. So I took some belt dressing and squirted it down onto the idler pulley and the noise went away for a bit. How can I tell for sure if it's the idler pulley and not the PS pulley or something else? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

thanks so much,

Sully
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried the easy fix, a new Gatorback belt? Alot of times just a new belt will scare the birds away.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
fuel_junkie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine just started up too lol, Ill check the belt.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5streak
Have you tried the easy fix, a new Gatorback belt? Alot of times just a new belt will scare the birds away.
yeah i put the gatorback from autozone on over a year...and the belt looks like it is in very good shape still.

thanks,

Sully
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Jboger2K
Heel & Toe

Ahhh the squeel. two types of noise i have had. Belt chirp, annoying, still there until I get gatorbacks, and the squeel of a pulley. The pully is loud, starts after a few minutes, and may go away after you drive for a while. I replaced the h2o pump, squeeled, idler pulley, squeeled. I was not going to waste more money. I bought a $7 stethoscope and found the lower tension pulley (AC) was bad. Replaced it and no more squeel!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:24 PM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem ....made me nuts I wouldn't even drive the car. Did the belt dressing and it shut it up for a day but came back worse. Got a Goodyear belt ..... Now it doesn't make a sound they are great .
$17 AutoZone.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:42 PM
C5Pat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your Alt. belt off, start the car for a min. if the noise is still there it is probably the lower tensioner (AC),Mine is doing the same thing, at least now I know what it is. Now my question is what kind of a job is to change it?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Jboger2K
Heel & Toe

C5 pat If you can get the car on a lift, or use ramps, it will be easier. It took me longer to get the old part out from the engine bay than it should because I did it from the top. There are two fluid lines in from of the pulley to spread apart, and having a friend to get the belts back on is usefull.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
C5Pat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still not sure if it's tensioner or the idoler pulley but yes I would think it would be easier from the bottom....Thanks ..........Pat

Last edited by C5Pat; 05-06-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have removed the belt and let it run for a min or two and there was no chirp. It sounds as if it is coming from either the idler pulley or the power steering pulley.... but it is somewhere in the main belt. The chirp does increase it's frequency with increased engine revolutions. I can squirt belt dressing in on the main belt and the chirp stops. Talk about frustrating... any more ideas?

thanks,

Sully
Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
c5streak
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Idlers are a common problem, haven't heard of any problems with accessory pulleys. Sounds like you just need a new idler, much easier and cheaper than a PS pulley.

Get notified of new replies

To pulley squeel

Quick Reply: pulley squeel