C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger window doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM
CorvetteJimZ06
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trussme
It seems to be quite a common problem for the passenger window motor to stop working. The problem seems to stem from the fact that the window does not get used. Hold the door window button down and have someone slam the door repeatedly(fairly firmly) or fist/pound the door area at the arm rest....the idea is to free up the motor brush contacts that have frozen.
This worked on mine, now I raise/lower that window 2-3 times every time I drive it...never had another problem.
I'm so glad I found this old post! I can't remember ever rolling down the passenger window in the past, but it refused to work last month and in the subsequent weeks. I read this post, turned the key on, held the window regulator button down and pulled the door closed twice, hard from the inside. VOILA the window came down and has worked fine since. I run it up and down every time I drive now to keep it exercised.
The following users liked this post:
ckreider33 (04-08-2024)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

My driver window stopped working. I bought a replacement motor from a local parts store, $48. I wasn't a skilled as the above poster, I didn't know how to mesh the gears, so I had to thread the armature into the worm drive, then assemble the motor can over the rotor. Not too tough, just hard to see the work. Could be done quickly, trim removal is the major work, and that is clean and easy. I think I was done assembling in about 30 minutes, and that was including a few wrong turns trying to figure out how to put the thing back together.

The motor releases with four screws. I seems the design traps the dust from the brushes and could short out that way, and a bunch of pounding might be effective in some cases. Personally, I have always found it hard to effect a good solid repair result with hammers, so try to avoid this strategy until I get frustrated. Then my repair with hammer strategy effectiveness really declines.

I didn't screw around with my old motor, I had already bought another . I did decide to let them keep the $15 core charge, so I could have the old motor rebuilt as or when needed.
Nothing looked bad on the old one, except worn brushes that looked ok. An invisible failure has sometimes been a rotor short. Anything is possible with all that carbon dust in the motor can.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
4ME2DRV
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long live this thread!!! I tried this and it worked great. Thanks for saving me time and money.
ckreider33 (04-08-2024)
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
ERDOC
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ME2DRV
Long live this thread!!! I tried this and it worked great. Thanks for saving me time and money.
+1
I hadn't driven my Corvette in two months and the driver's window wouldn't work. I slammed the door hard three times while holding the button down and the key on and it has worked ever since!!
ckreider33 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Goatcop
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having to replace the motor/regulator in my passenger door. The You Tube video says to lower the window to loosen the holding clamps then remove the glass. I can't get the window to go down. I beat on the interior door frame around the motor and tapped on the motor through the opening while holding the button. The glass won't go down. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Old 04-08-2024, 02:39 PM
ckreider33
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trussme
It seems to be quite a common problem for the passenger window motor to stop working. The problem seems to stem from the fact that the window does not get used. Hold the door window button down and have someone slam the door repeatedly(fairly firmly) or fist/pound the door area at the arm rest....the idea is to free up the motor brush contacts that have frozen.
This worked on mine, now I raise/lower that window 2-3 times every time I drive it...never had another problem.
This worked for me just now on driver side. After days of frustration, first time I closed the door while holding power down it worked right away. Very good info, much appreciated!

Passenger side has no power so I think I just need to clean the power connector better. Once I get power on that side i expect that i'll need to use this trick again because both windows weren't used for quite a while.

Anyway, i'm happy this worked and just wanted to say thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Passenger window doesn't work...