C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Bleeding Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM
MR.WaynesWorld
Le Mans Master

Location: The real question is; When you turn your car on, does it return the favor..
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Default Brake Bleeding Procedure

Is there a difference in the brake Bleeding procedure between a 99 and an 02. We have heard there is a difference and just wanted to verify it...

What is the specific procedure for both?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I call

Sorry guys.. I had to!!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.WaynesWorld
Is there a difference in the brake Bleeding procedure between a 99 and an 02. We have heard there is a difference and just wanted to verify it...

Yes, there is .....

1999 is RR/LR/RF/LF
2002 is RR/LF/LR/RF

The reason for the change is because the brake line distribution changed in either 2000 or 2001 .... definately the change applied by 2001.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
speedsk899
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

I just looked it up in my service manual.....if you want full detailed instructions from the service manual, just post up saying so and I will post it
Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by VRROOOM2
I call

Sorry guys.. I had to!!
Well you're wrong buddy, there IS a difference. Be a little slower to throw that BS sign in the future.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 PM
speedsk899
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jovette
Well you're wrong buddy, there IS a difference. Be a little slower to throw that BS sign in the future.

I verified it in the service manual!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jovette
Originally Posted by speedsk899

I verified it in the service manual!
OK, OK, I WAS WRONG!!! I was with the OP on Sunday and it was discussed. I was told it was different but it was not made known why. I called BS under my breath then and had to man up today to not back down...

I'm manning up again and admitting I was wrong... What do I know, I drive a 98!! :o :o
Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Hey, not the first time someone on this board has called BS, and later turned out to be wrong ..... (as in .... been there - done that ..... open mouth ... insert foot .....) ....

So in return for your "confession" ... I'll let you in on the reason the order changed ....

Ever since about the 1960's if you looked at the brake Master Cylinder (MC) on ANY car made for sale in the US, you would see TWO brake lines coming off the cylinder. Now to keep this simple for now we will forget about ABS.

One brake line went toward the front of the vehicle and at some point split into two lines, each then going to a front brake. Same for the rear, a line went toward the rear brakes and at some point split to feed each side.

This was done to provide redundancy; if a brake line or caliper failed and was releasing fluid, you would still have partial braking up until you ran the reservoir out of fluid. The big problem was if you lost a front brake, the rear brakes would work, but they provide only a tiny amount of braking force compared to the front brakes.

So, with the 2000 Model Year for the Corvette, Chevrolet changed the layout of the brake lines. Now they are split so that one line coming off the MC serves a front and rear brake, and the other line serves the other front and rear brake .... BUT .... the brakes are "opposed" so that the car does not veer as it would if it was only the brakes on the left or right side working .... The brakes are set up so that the RR/LF are on one circuit, and the LR/RF are on the other circuit .......

And that is why the bleed sequence changed ......

Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM
birch64
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked it up in my service manual.....if you want full detailed instructions from the service manual, just post up saying so and I will post it
post up could use 2000 instructions....
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Hey, not the first time someone on this board has called BS, and later turned out to be wrong ..... (as in .... been there - done that ..... open mouth ... insert foot .....) ....

So in return for your "confession" ... I'll let you in on the reason the order changed ....

Ever since about the 1960's if you looked at the brake Master Cylinder (MC) on ANY car made for sale in the US, you would see TWO brake lines coming off the cylinder. Now to keep this simple for now we will forget about ABS.

One brake line went toward the front of the vehicle and at some point split into two lines, each then going to a front brake. Same for the rear, a line went toward the rear brakes and at some point split to feed each side.

This was done to provide redundancy; if a brake line or caliper failed and was releasing fluid, you would still have partial braking up until you ran the reservoir out of fluid. The big problem was if you lost a front brake, the rear brakes would work, but they provide only a tiny amount of braking force compared to the front brakes.

So, with the 2000 Model Year for the Corvette, Chevrolet changed the layout of the brake lines. Now they are split so that one line coming off the MC serves a front and rear brake, and the other line serves the other front and rear brake .... BUT .... the brakes are "opposed" so that the car does not veer as it would if it was only the brakes on the left or right side working .... The brakes are set up so that the RR/LF are on one circuit, and the LR/RF are on the other circuit .......

That first part is why we felt there was no way it changed... I had no idea that Chevy changed that on Vettes in 2000 and didn't know why or ever hear of it. Great info!! I am in your debt!!

I've been "owned" again...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
skydive120
Racer

Great timing, bleeding the brakes this weekend in a 2000.
Could use the info as well!

Chris
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
speedsk899
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birch64
post up could use 2000 instructions....
Here are the instructions for a 2000.....the procedure changed in 2001. Sorry it is all together, it doesn't copy and paste exactly as in the service manual. There is also an automatic procedure but you have to have the cap that you can hook a pump up to and charge it to 25psi.

Document ID# 613602
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette
The time required to bleed the hydraulic system can be reduced if the master cylinder reservoir is filled with brake fluid and as much air as possible is expelled before the master cylinder is installed on the vehicle. Pumping the piston can evacuate the air from the piston cavities.
Power brakes require the vacuum reserve be depleted by applying the brakes several items with the engine off. Care must be taken to prevent brake fluid from contacting any painted surface. Use rags to catch the excess fluid.

1. Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid and keep the reservoir at least half full of fluid during the bleeding operation.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. If the master cylinder is known or suspected to have air in the bore, then it must be bled in the following manner, before bleeding any caliper:

A. Disconnect the forward (blind end) brake pipe connection at the master cylinder.

B. Allow the brake fluid to fill the master cylinder piston bore until it begins to flow from the forward pipe connector port.

C. Connect the forward brake pipe to the master cylinder and tighten.

D. Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the forward brake pipe connection at the master cylinder to purge air from the bore. Tighten the connection and then release the brake pedal slowly. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed from the bore. Tighten
Tighten the brake pipe tube nut to 18 N•m (13 lb ft).

E. When clear fluid flows from the forward connection, repeat steps 1 and 2 to bleed the master cylinder at the rear (cowl) connection.

3. Individual brake calipers are bled only after all air is removed from the master cylinder. If it is known that the brake calipers do not contain any air, then it will not be necessary to bleed them.

A. Place a proper size box end wrench, or equivalent, over the brake caliper bleed screw. Attach a clear tube over the screw. Submerge the other end of the tube in a clear container partially filled with brake fluid.

B. Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the brake caliper bleed screw to purge the air from the cylinder. Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw and slowly release the pedal. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed. It may be necessary to repeat the sequence 10 or more times to remove all the air. Rapid pumping of the brake pedal pushes the master cylinder secondary piston down the bore in a way that makes it difficult to bleed the system. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper bleed screws to 12 N•m (106 lb in).

C. If it is necessary to bleed all of the brake calipers, the following sequence should be used:

i. Right rear
ii. Left rear
iii. Right front
iv. Left front

D. Check the brake pedal for sponginess.

E. Auto bleed the modulator and repeat the manual bleeding procedure to correct this condition. Refer to ABS Automated Bleed Procedure in Antilock Brake System.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
birch64
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the instructions for a 2000.....the procedure changed in 2001. Sorry it is all together, it doesn't copy and paste exactly as in the service manual. There is also an automatic procedure but you have to have the cap that you can hook a pump up to and charge it to 25psi.

Document ID# 613602
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Corvette
The time required to bleed the hydraulic system can be reduced if the master cylinder reservoir is filled with brake fluid and as much air as possible is expelled before the master cylinder is installed on the vehicle. Pumping the piston can evacuate the air from the piston cavities.
Power brakes require the vacuum reserve be depleted by applying the brakes several items with the engine off. Care must be taken to prevent brake fluid from contacting any painted surface. Use rags to catch the excess fluid.

1. Fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid and keep the reservoir at least half full of fluid during the bleeding operation.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. If the master cylinder is known or suspected to have air in the bore, then it must be bled in the following manner, before bleeding any caliper:

A. Disconnect the forward (blind end) brake pipe connection at the master cylinder.

B. Allow the brake fluid to fill the master cylinder piston bore until it begins to flow from the forward pipe connector port.

C. Connect the forward brake pipe to the master cylinder and tighten.

D. Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the forward brake pipe connection at the master cylinder to purge air from the bore. Tighten the connection and then release the brake pedal slowly. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed from the bore. Tighten
Tighten the brake pipe tube nut to 18 N•m (13 lb ft).

E. When clear fluid flows from the forward connection, repeat steps 1 and 2 to bleed the master cylinder at the rear (cowl) connection.

3. Individual brake calipers are bled only after all air is removed from the master cylinder. If it is known that the brake calipers do not contain any air, then it will not be necessary to bleed them.

A. Place a proper size box end wrench, or equivalent, over the brake caliper bleed screw. Attach a clear tube over the screw. Submerge the other end of the tube in a clear container partially filled with brake fluid.

B. Depress the brake pedal slowly one time and hold. Loosen the brake caliper bleed screw to purge the air from the cylinder. Tighten the brake caliper bleed screw and slowly release the pedal. Wait 15 seconds. Repeat the sequence, including the 15 second wait, until all air is removed. It may be necessary to repeat the sequence 10 or more times to remove all the air. Rapid pumping of the brake pedal pushes the master cylinder secondary piston down the bore in a way that makes it difficult to bleed the system. Tighten
Tighten the brake caliper bleed screws to 12 N•m (106 lb in).

C. If it is necessary to bleed all of the brake calipers, the following sequence should be used:

i. Right rear
ii. Left rear
iii. Right front
iv. Left front

D. Check the brake pedal for sponginess.

E. Auto bleed the modulator and repeat the manual bleeding procedure to correct this condition. Refer to ABS Automated Bleed Procedure in Antilock Brake System.

thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BlackZ06 -

You are off one year.

(1997 to 2000) are paired “front together on one system” and “rear together on one system”.

Starting in 2001 (with the second generation Active Handling), the brake systems are paired diagonally.

1997 - 2000 Bleed RR, LR, RF, LF

2001 - 2004 Bleed RR, LF, LR, RF

P.S. I know you know better, we all make mistakes.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by timemender
BlackZ06 -

You are off one year.

(1997 to 2000) are paired “front together on one system” and “rear together on one system”.

Starting in 2001 (with the second generation Active Handling), the brake systems are paired diagonally.

1997 - 2000 Bleed RR, LR, RF, LF

2001 - 2004 Bleed RR, LF, LR, RF

P.S. I know you know better, we all make mistakes.
Thank you ... I screwed up ... I'd love to say it was a typo ... but truth is I had it wrong ..... appreciate the correction .... and your info is CORRECT ....

Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by MR.WaynesWorld

Did I generate some info here or what Wayne??? You're very welcome!!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM
MR.WaynesWorld
Le Mans Master

Location: The real question is; When you turn your car on, does it return the favor..
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Thanks Jon and Thanks to all that posted here. Great info we all should be aware of... Brakes are something you want right.... Especially with a 1300 mile trip ahead....

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Bleeding Procedure

Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
spm2001
Advanced

Can somebody please post the procedure for bleeding the 'modulator'?

Also, I was talking to my local Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic, and he mentioned that you can do the brake bleeding with the help of the console diagnostic buttons (fuel, trip, etc.). Can somebody post that as well please?

I have a 2001.

thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spm2001
Can somebody please post the procedure for bleeding the 'modulator'?

Also, I was talking to my local Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic, and he mentioned that you can do the brake bleeding with the help of the console diagnostic buttons (fuel, trip, etc.). Can somebody post that as well please?

I have a 2001.

thanks
You need a Tech2 device to bleed the BPMV. The Tech2 can command the pump on to assist in bleeding it.

I suggest you stop listening to this "Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic" ..... the DIC buttons have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with bleeding the brakes. You can use them for their regular functions, and you can use them to display DTC data from the car's computers .... but you CANNOT bleed the brakes with the DIC buttons .....

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you can use the DIC buttons to check your blinker fluid level, and also the check the temperature of you muffler bearings .... but those are "secret" functions only known to a "Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic" .....

Old 05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

You need a Tech2 device to bleed the BPMV. The Tech2 can command the pump on to assist in bleeding it.

I suggest you stop listening to this "Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic" ..... the DIC buttons have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with bleeding the brakes. You can use them for their regular functions, and you can use them to display DTC data from the car's computers .... but you CANNOT bleed the brakes with the DIC buttons .....

Oh, sorry, I forgot, you can use the DIC buttons to check your blinker fluid level, and also the check the temperature of you muffler bearings .... but those are "secret" functions only known to a "Chevy-trained Corvette mechanic" .....

Wow, that's scary that a GM "Trained" in Corvettes, mechanic would make such a statement.........maybe he just had a small brain fart that day

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Procedure