C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 02:09 PM
DTV
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lock PCM

I found a TSB out for a PCM upgrade from the fuel system (6/03)
I went to the dealer to have the PCM software upgrade.
My Vette is a 2001, I got it in 2003 with 17000 miles on it.
I now have 67000 miles on it.

The service writer called me because the Tech could not get the PCM to upgrade.
He was locked out. The Tech asked if I hand any performance turning.
I said, none what I know of. So he tried several more times with no success.

If I can not get the PCM unlock, I will just live with it.
But I would like to know what software is in their.

So is their any way to unlock the PCM after it has been lock by someone or something.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:17 PM
sugarwolf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheaper just to buy a new pcm under 200.00. And have the tech flash the Vin in and the new update flash
Old 04-19-2008, 05:45 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

This happened to me with my 03 convertible, it had a performace tune and a locked PCM, the dealership just wiped out the memory and reloaded the stock tune. Don't waste money on a new computer.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:49 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by runamuk
This happened to me with my 03 convertible, it had a performace tune and a locked PCM, the dealership just wiped out the memory and reloaded the stock tune. Don't waste money on a new computer.
your Dealer tech should know that !! HP Tuners locks you out unless you have their software. Sometimes I wish I knew a hacker to get past that crap. Sometimes at the track my buddy will have his EFI Live and he can't get in to make minor fuel or timing adjustments...we have to bring our laptop every time. Really sucks.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by pit-man
your Dealer tech should know that !! HP Tuners locks you out unless you have their software. Sometimes I wish I knew a hacker to get past that crap. Sometimes at the track my buddy will have his EFI Live and he can't get in to make minor fuel or timing adjustments...we have to bring our laptop every time. Really sucks.
If HP Tuner locks you out then thats something new

I've used their software in the past and it most definitely did not lock out the PCM or inhibit it in any way from being read by other software programs such as LS-1 edit.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 343 Likes on 282 Posts

I too have not had or heard of HP-Tners locking out anyone!

I have had successs no matter what. The Tech II should be able to wipe clean the PCM and download a new stock tune!

If it is too much then pick up a new or used PCM and drop it in. They are not that much.

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I knoqw some tuners lock the PCM to prevent subsequent modification to their tunes as a way of minimizing liability ( the owner re tunes and then claims the tuner's tune was repsonsible for blowing the engine)
I did not know a Tech II can wipe out the complete memory....
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 AM
DTV
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input, I talked to the tech again. But from what I think he was saying the PCM would not even let the Tech 2 get in.
It was asking for a password and after 10 sec it kick him off.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DTV
Thanks for the input, I talked to the tech again. But from what I think he was saying the PCM would not even let the Tech 2 get in.
It was asking for a password and after 10 sec it kick him off.
Depends on what software was used, and how the "lock" is applied. I'd send an email to this guy .... Jesse .... at ....

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

and see what he would charge and/or recommend. From what I've heard if anyone can unlock a PCM he can ... if he can't unlock it, your only other choice is a new PCM that the dealer flashes with the correct software (based on your VIN) and will basically put the car back to as it was when it left the factory, plus any updates released by GM for your car since the original build.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
I knoqw some tuners lock the PCM to prevent subsequent modification to their tunes as a way of minimizing liability ( the owner re tunes and then claims the tuner's tune was repsonsible for blowing the engine)
I did not know a Tech II can wipe out the complete memory....
A Tech2 can, in some cases, reflash an existing PCM that has been locked, but there are MANY cases where the Tech2 is as SOL as anyone else.

For example, from what I understand, versions of LS1Edit "locked" out other copies of LS1Edit, you had to use the same "licensed" cable/software to access the "tune" ..... BUT .... a Tech2 could still access the PCM to re-flash it back to "stock" as the Tech2 did not "see" the LS1Edit "lock". But, another example, if you use EFILive to lock the PCM .... you will either need to use another copy of EFILive to "brute force hack" (about 65,000 possible combinations for the password) the password, use the originally licensed software, or buy a new PCM.

I understand that a tuner might want to "hide" the changes they have made, so competitors for example, can't see what they are doing .... but they should then arrange some kind of "escrow" of the password so if they go out of business, for example, you can still get a hold of a way to get into your PCM. They may be "cheap" todya, but you gotta know that is not gonna last ....

Get notified of new replies

To Lock PCM

Quick Reply: Lock PCM