C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conv. vs. coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 08:50 PM
DCDeCell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conv. vs. coupe

which one do yall think is better, the c5 convertible or coupe? they both offer (to some extent) open air cruising. just wonderin wut yall thought :blueangel:
Old 12-13-2001, 08:55 PM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (DCDeCell)

Depends where you live. Gotta have a vert in south Florida!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:11 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (WildWolf)

personal preference.

but the convertible with the top down is nicer than a coupe with the top off. :cool:
Old 12-13-2001, 09:12 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Now that depends on how you intend to use your car! If you want to drive it only on warm, sunny days when there is no traffic, your route is a nice curvy country road, and you don't mind getting your and your passenger's hair messed-up a bit, then the vert is the one to buy.

However, if you want to drive the car to work every day, yet still let acres of light into the car (or not, but without the road noise), but occasionally wish to feel that open-top blast of air during your vacation or on weekends AND have a huge storage area for that large cooler, then the coupe is the one for you!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:49 PM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (Dave68)

I have a 00 vert and the only downside is the extra cost. If you can get past that, here are the reasons IMHO the vert is the way to go.

Even if you live in the North like I do....nothing beats a vert

The coupes I rode in tend to have the pop bottle effect when the top is off. My friend solved the problem mostly by rigging the rear hatch to stay open a couple of inches. Work fairly well but looks like hell.

Verts hold there resale value a little better. Right now though the whole used car market is very soft. Besides I am not selling.

They just look better. Now not every one will agree but most non-vette people are always coming up to me telling me how beautiful my car is. Now I did not buy the car for that affect but it is nice, esp when fueling up and some hot babe comes up. I got 3 dates that way without trying.

The visability with the top down is unmatched and if you live in an area (like I do) where the cops do alot of speed enforcement from the air, it is as helpful as the V-1.

The experience of fast top down driving is very close (ok not that close) to a high speed blast across the water in a go fast boat.

Cold weather driving with the top up is very warm and you feel very secure. Visability is down but if you are a good driver it will not matter. Drive a Lambo and you will know that difference.

I could go on but I think you get my drift. Ask some coupe owners if they reget not getting the vert and then ask vert owner the reverse and compare. Now if track time or racing is in your plans, there is really no choice except then you should really get the Z06. When (if ever) the Z06 goes vert, I am there. Caravaggio's Z06 are killer but so is their price.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya :seeya

[Modified by EMDExpress, 7:53 PM 12/13/2001]

[Modified by EMDExpress, 7:54 PM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-13-2001, 10:09 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (EMDExpress)

Hey let's not let this one get out of hand. They are all C5's and from what I've read begin production without the tops.

Here are some facts:

97' C5's were all coupes, 98' 19,235 coupes / 11,849 verts. 99' 18,078 coupes / 11,161 verts / 4,031 FRC. 00' 18,113 coupes / 13,479 verts / 2,090 FRC

C4's had the 1st 2 years with coupes only. In 87 verts had their most popular year, they were produced at nearly 1 for every 2 coupes with with approx. 20,000 coupes and 10,000 verts. That eventually declined each year to the last year for the C4 with 17,167 coupes and 4,369 verts.

IMO, I like the coupe because it's both a closed roof car and an open air car. the vert does look great with the top down, it has a lot more road noise with the top up.

Just personal preference.
Old 12-13-2001, 10:11 PM
geekracer
Melting Slicks

Here we go again. This comes up every few months. :boxing

Some are crazy about their verts and some love the coupes. The vert is great for driving on nice days with the top down. The coupe is great for competition events which require a top because of high speed.

I like my vert but I don't do any high speed stuff :yesnod:
Old 12-13-2001, 10:18 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (MMarquez)

Those sale volume numbers would be alot different if the price of a VERT and COUPE were the same... :yesnod:

Old 12-13-2001, 10:29 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (MMarquez)

Here we go again. This comes up every few months. :boxing

Some are crazy about their verts and some love the coupes. The vert is great for driving on nice days with the top down. The coupe is great for competition events which require a top because of high speed.

I like my vert but I don't do any high speed stuff :yesnod:
Yep.........hey....mmarquez....should have the XR-1 by this weekend I hope......HOOK ME UP NATE!!!!

:seeya
Old 12-13-2001, 10:31 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I went out looking for a Coupe or maybe a Hardtop because I didnt want the roll bar hassles while drag racing.

I'd love to have a vert but only if I could have both!

Eric
Old 12-14-2001, 10:09 AM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (66ImpalaLT1)

C'mon, the vert with the top down is a BEAUTIFUL car. Think about this: How often do you drag race vs. how often would you put the top down?
Old 12-14-2001, 10:21 AM
YLWFVR75
Le Mans Master

Received 183 Likes on 89 Posts
SE Michigan Coordinator
CI 3, 4, 5, 6, 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11,-'13-'14-'15
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (123Gone)

great another X vs X debate.......Personally I like both cars....I opted for the coupe, because I like having the option of having both an open air and a hard top look. I especially like my car with the solid top. I have both tops, but have not used the clear one yet. To me the clear top only looks good on darker colors such as black and NBM.

The vert is great with the top down, but with the top up, I dont care for it. Just something about the way it looks. Certainly I wouldnt say no if someone offered me a vert. :D

The way I look at it is, THEIR BOTH CORVETTES. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!!! COUPE VERT OR FRC.....

Zack
Old 12-14-2001, 10:28 AM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (y2k02c5)

I wish I could afford both actually. But if it is to be your daily driver and only car (this is me) it has to be a coupe. Plus the lines of the Coupe look great!! But of course I'm biased...juts like NBM is the best color on a C5!
Old 12-14-2001, 11:57 AM
cjones
Burning Brakes

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (Tormania)

I have a black 98 coupe that went in for warranty work, well 3 months later (that's another story) and it's still not ready. So about a month and a half ago I bought a pewter 99 conv. I really do like the conv. better. It's quieter with the top closed and it's quieter with the top down compared to the coupe with the top off. Also I'm kind of forgetful and I've had the roof fly off the coupe more than once. No problem with the conv! :eek:
Old 12-14-2001, 11:59 AM
RajunCajun2001
Burning Brakes

Vert all the way!!! Its like having 2 cars. 1 with the top up and 1 with it down. Besides, the waterfall is gorgeous!!! :smash:
Old 12-14-2001, 12:23 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (RajunCajun2001)

Let me chime in here:

I have 4 ft long hair, wind in it does me no good at all! I don't even ever remove the top. I wish I could buy the Coupe without the removable top and garner the added strength of the fixed roof with the opening back glass of the coupe.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:54 PM
Stu in CA
Pro

I've had both, a 92 Coupe and currently a 98 Vert. My gf insisted on the vert. I favored the lines of the coupe and the safety factor, but now I really like the vert even with the top up, looks exotic with that small roof in the middle of the wide car. Northern CA and still drop the top once a day on our daily driver, even in December, so opportunity really is the factor. Agree with above, dragging/xcrossing vs cruising time is the decision. Nothing like California Coastal Highway 1 top-down in the vert with your woman next to you! No need to stop and get out!

Get notified of new replies

To conv. vs. coupe

Old 12-14-2001, 05:07 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe

Carrying a lot of stuff is no problem in the coupe, with the vert you are limited. However, see my choice below:

Awaiting Caravaggio hardtop, so I can have the best of both worlds.

[Modified by wallstAL, 1:10 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 05:13 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe

Carrying a lot of stuff is no problem in the coupe, with the vert you are limited. However, see my choice below:

Awaiting Caravaggio hardtop, so I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:47 PM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: conv. vs. coupe (wallstAL)

If looks are your criteria, then the best looker is the vert with the top down, followed by the Coupe withe the top off, followed by the coupe with the top on, followed by the vert with the top up. If space is your criteria, the coupe wins hand down. Opinions may vary, but these are mine... :seeya

Quick Reply: conv. vs. coupe