C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the Best Battery for my C5??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

If your car is a 2004 model, then you don't have to worry about the leakage problems with the side post batteries. I would just go with the Professional grade AC Delco top post battery.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

For all you 97-03 C5 owners, as I mentioned previously, even the side post area of all newer (04 on up) AC Delco Professional batteries have been significantly strengthened. There really is no need to worry, even if you have side posts.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Originally Posted by DeeGee
If your original AC Delco is over 3 years old check for leaks. If it has been discharged, it has probably been taken out of the car and the leads may have been over torqued on reinstallation. Over torquing stresses the case around the side posts. Better still, change it as a precaution because the older AC Delco’s are prone to leaks and particularly vulnerable around those side post connections.

DeeGee,

GM started installing the AC Delco AGM battery in Corvettes in 2001. These batteries are leakproof, but have the same weakness as do the Optima Redtops - poor drain recovery. My OEM battery in my 2001 lasted 7 years, so I'd change your statement to say, "If your OEM battery is at least 8 years old or if you have a 2003 or older non-AGM AC Delco battery, change it. Otherwise, your car is most likely, very safe.

Dave
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Consumer Reports did a study on all the major batteries a few months ago. The Wal-mart Everstart Maxx and the Autozone Duralast Gold were the two "best buys". There are only 3 major manufacturers of car batteries in the U.S. (Johnson Controls, Exide, and Delphi). They make batteries to the retailers specifications.

I put an Everstart Maxx in my car a year and a half ago. I don't use a battery tender. I don't disconnect it. It may sit for 3 or 4 weeks sometimes. I don't park with the transmission in reverse. I just get in it, turn the key and go, whenever I feel like driving it. It starts the car the same whether it has been weeks since I started it or if I just started it the day before.

I paid $60 for it, it has a 36 month full replacement, 108 month pro-rated warranty. Also, free installation.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dave68
DeeGee,

GM started installing the AC Delco AGM battery in Corvettes in 2001. These batteries are leakproof, but have the same weakness as do the Optima Redtops - poor drain recovery. My OEM battery in my 2001 lasted 7 years, so I'd change your statement to say, "If your OEM battery is at least 8 years old or if you have a 2003 or older non-AGM AC Delco battery, change it. Otherwise, your car is most likely, very safe.

Dave
Dave

I know you're an AC Delco fan and equally it's clear that I'm not. I have no affliation with any of the manufacturers and I really don't mind which battery the members buy. All I want is for it to be an informed choice and more importantly, to try to avoid anyone suffering a leak. I throw my thoughts in for what they are worth and I'd stress they are just my thoughts because I'm an owner not a technician.

I'm afraid I cant tell the difference between individual models of the AC Delcos. The one that leaked in my sons Camaro looked identical to the dead one that came out of my 02 Convertible. They may have been different model numbers but its too late to check. I still stand by my advice though.

If you have an older side post AC Delco, giving it a regular look over to ensure it's not leaking is a very smart move.

I've added your comments in the section on types of batteries

Last edited by DeeGee; 04-13-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Understood - I just didn't want 02 and 03 owners who have the OEM AC Delco AGM batteries to think that they may be leakers. I remember when I first bought my 01, forum guys were advising me to get rid of it and that it would leak. When I investigated, I found that my battery was, in fact, leak and vibration-proof (AGM). Luckily, I didn't follow that generic advice, since my battery went on to last 7 years!

Regarding the inexpensive batteries: My experience has been that many a $60 battery will last 5 years. That's admirable; however, I have never had a Walmart battery last 7 or 8 years. This kind of life is more common than you think when it comes to OEM batteries like AC Delco and Motorcraft.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 AM
One Nut
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you asked for it now you guys got him scratching his head wondering who to listen to personaly I use a red top no issues with this one, although I've had issues with them before use a dry cell I let my car sit a week at a time and i have no issues with it running down and i do NOT use a battery tender I also crank the sterio with extra amps & sub wash wax detail and it works every time NO ISSUES
Old 04-13-2008, 03:21 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by One Nut
well you asked for it now you guys got him scratching his head wondering who to listen to personaly I use a red top no issues with this one, although I've had issues with them before use a dry cell I let my car sit a week at a time and i have no issues with it running down and i do NOT use a battery tender I also crank the sterio with extra amps & sub wash wax detail and it works every time NO ISSUES
I think you answered your own question. If you have a battery in the car thats working and is reliable and doesn't leak, you're on a winner

As I mentioned in my post I had a Red Top that was a daily driver that worked great for years. I'd leave it for a couple of weeks when I was away on business without problems. I then let it sit on a boat for 8 weeks and it died. I have no doubt it would have gone on for many more years but for the abuse.

With a Red Top its safe from leaks but I'd still disconnect it if the plan is to leave it more than a few weeks without using the car.

As for who to listen to, my post is just my view based on my experiences. If only this was a simple issue. JMHO

Last edited by DeeGee; 04-13-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jzvette
I'm pretty HAPPY!!! .......I heard that the factory battery can leak down into my computer, is that true and if yes what kind of battery replacement should I buy?? Do I need to buy a new Battery or is there a fix for the acid leak down problem?? Is a sealed Optima Battery the way to go??? Feels good to be rolling with the BIG C5 DOGS!!!
One Nut makes a good point and in discussion we've missed your specific question. My view is that you have an 03 Z06 which should have a top post AC Delco. This battery should be a redesigned AC Delco made by Johnson Controls. If its a daily driver and working fine you should be safe from leaks and it should give years of service.

But keep checking it

Last edited by DeeGee; 04-13-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
jzvette
Racer

It's an 04 Z06 Z16. Does this mean that the 03 and newer Batteries (OEM GM)don't leak or have a better track record with leaks??
Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Dave68
Race Director

I believe the 04s were the first ones to get the top-post non-AGM batteries. The good news is that yes, they are of the new design and should be very robust. I can't recall reading of any leaking issues from owners of 01-04 C5s.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:25 PM
jzvette
Racer

FYI, I don't drive it daily. I have a work vehicle where the company pays for gas and insurance, this vette is more of a spring/summer/ early fall driver. It will sit most of the winter and not be driven. What do I have to do radio if I switch the Battery so that I don't lock it out??jzvette
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The Vette is starting to show signs of slow cranking. Looks like it's time for a new battery for me as well. Advance Auto Parts or Sams Club here i come !!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Joe

I had a 98 coupe and tossed fate to the wind and kept my OEM Delco in there for 5 years totaly against numerous warnings about the battery leaking. Lucky for me,,,,it never leaked or never even ran down for that matter. Later in that 5+ year period, the battery started to show its age. During colding starting, the DIC,& FOBs would reset and it would throw random U series DTC. When I purchased my 02 ZO6 at the TWO year point, I decided that I HAD to have an OPTIMA. I removed the OEM AC Delco AGM battery from the Z, put it in the 98. Whoo Hooo! The 98 was well again!

Three months after I installed the Optima in the Z, it went completely D E A D! One moment that damn thing was fine amd the next DEAD! Took it back and got a free replacement.

The OPTIMA has been in the 02 Z for almost 5 years and its so far been trouble free. Ive even run it down to ZIP POINT ZERO on two ocassions (my fault) and it still works fine.

That being said,,,would I purchase another OPTIMA again,,,probably NOT. The damn things are EXPENSIVE!

If I get another battery it will either be a walmart battery or a GM AC Delco Professional battey. For the price I paid for that damn OPTIMA, I could have purchased THREE walmart batteries and TWO AC Delco Professional batteries.

Its your call. If I were you,,,,I would leave your OEM battery in there until it starts giving you trouble!

One other recommendation. If your not going to drive the car for a few months, just disconnect the battery. When your ready to drive, reconnect it.

PM Me if you have any questions.

Bill In SUNNY GUAM!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
kentuckybluegrass (07-31-2023)
Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well it finally happened... met my lady for lunch and at the end of our lunch, the car didn't start !!

Time to drop some cash at Sears, since the car is at a restaurant 1 block from the Sears store....

There goes $100 bucks.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few additional thoughts to consider -- derived from our 2000 C5.

Immediately after purchasing our used 2000 C5, I replaced the original side-post ACDelco battery (6 yrs old at that point) with another side-post ACDelco (professional 78-7yr), just in case.

The original ACDelco had never leaked, did have a battery tender on it most of the time by the previous owner, and never had the battery terminals disconnected (which may be the primary reason why it never leaked). Further, it is still sitting in our garage on the floor on a trickle charger, and still has not leaked and seems to still have life in it.

As part of the replacment analysis, I looked at all sorts of options (e.g. most of the batteries already mentioned, including converting to a top-post battery), but in the end, concluded it was either overkill (e.g. redtop or AGM or top-post conversion) or not compatible (non-maintenance free) or a quality concern (large discount chain stores).

The principle reason I choose an ACDelco was it is one of the few remaining 'true' maintenance free batteries. 'True' maintenance free batteries have a slightly different chemistry (adds calcium), which better tolerates our Vette's higher charging voltage, without gassing and weepage/leakage.

As a precaution, I DID use a torque wrench to install the battery terminals, to assure they were not overtorqued or damaging the side-post seal.

I also installed a 'battery mat', under the new battery to minimize any chance of battery acid damaging the components under the battery. Battery mats are available from many sources and are designed to absorb and neutralize acid (think I got ours from Eckler's).

And I do keep a battery tender on the car whenever it will be sitting for 2 days or more. 3 years so far and no problems...
Old 10-11-2008, 02:45 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll get beat down for sure, but I've had better luck with WalMart batteries than AC Delco. Admittedly, most of the AC Delcos were purchased 1990-2002, but they all sucked. This includes the one that came with my brand new (2.2 miles on the odometer) 2000 Z28, which failed within 4 months! I'm not trying to rag on the Delco guys, maybe I just have bad luck, but I'll never purchase another one.
Anyways, Interstate batteries have treated me well, as have top-shelf DieHard and WalMart batteries. YRMV...

Get notified of new replies

To Which is the Best Battery for my C5??

Old 10-11-2008, 03:48 AM
2blklt4
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry a lil off topic but few ppl know the order of posts you disconect/connect again when changing battery...can anyone here chime in im a lil confused myself

Last edited by 2blklt4; 10-11-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 2blklt4
sorry a lil off topic but few ppl know the order of posts you disconect/connect again when changing battery...can anyone here chime in im a il confused myself

No problem. Always disconnect the NEG terminal FIRST and then reconnect the NEG battery terminal LAST.

For 97-2003 C5s the battery terminal needs to be torqued to 11 FT/Lbs.

The 04-2008 Corvette battery is a TOP POST with a different battery terminal.

BC
BC
Old 10-11-2008, 11:10 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

They all leak and die eventually.
buy the cheapest one with the best warranty you can. =Walmart
The following users liked this post:
kentuckybluegrass (07-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Which is the Best Battery for my C5??