C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1...rebuild or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Default LS1...rebuild or replace?

Hi all,
Engine question here…

First off just a little bit about my car. Mine is a 2002 MT6 with about 109,000 miles. It’s my daily driver except for the fact that I store it in the winter months. I purchased the car when it had approximately 80,000 miles on it and have been religious with service and maintenance on the car since I took ownership.

I haven't been able to find the time to track the car, but I do enjoy some spirited driving whenever I get the opportunities. I've added a Halltech CAI, Ported/polished TB, Melrose LT headers and x-pipe, a Ti Cat Back and a Dyno Tune (there’s other performance/aesthetic mods, but they don't necessarily relate to the engine). Also, I actually purchased a used Vortech that I was planning on installing next season…but here's where things take a bit of a twist.

I had recently been getting knock sensor codes, so while I was having an LS7 clutch upgrade done last month, I went ahead and had the knock sensors replaced as well. Rich Cerveny (a longtime friend of mine and owner of C&S Motorsports here in Omaha) does most all my mechanic work being that he's bought/sold/worked-on Corvettes all his life… and I totally trust him/them with my car.

So…when they were replacing the knock sensors, they found an excessive amount of oil. Rich told me that it looks like I'm getting more blowby than what's considered to be normal. As Rich put it, "The back sensor was just swimming in oil"...CRIKEY! The car runs great and hasn't been burning oil or blowing smoke, so we think that we may just be in the early stages of "breakdown". I ordered a catch can to try to help with the situation as much as possible, but it looks like I have a decision to make. Do I rebuild my LS1 or do I purchase a new motor altogether.

I've searched various threads on the subject, such as crate motors and rebuilds, but I wanted to try to get some input related to my specific situation.

I wish I had deep pockets and endless resources for something like this, but the reality is I need to get by as economically as possible. Before all of this surfaced, I was looking forward to getting my current motor supercharged and hopefully reaching the 475 to 500 rwhp neighborhood (I’m currently at about 340 rwhp). But now I’m debating if I should sell the Vortech and put those funds towards a new motor.

Any input is welcome. Thanks all.

Last edited by FrankLP; 04-07-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

FRANK!

I SERIOUSLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, doubt that you have to rebuild your engine! That mileage is not excessive and IF your engine is really mechanically sound, you have a LOT more left.

The valley cover has a seal in each knock sensor hole that keeps the oil out of the knock sensor hole. If it were me,,,,,,, I would do a few things:

Remove the valley cover and replace the seals in BOTH holes.

Do a compression /leak down test to prove to your self that the engine is sound.

Check your PCV valve and make sure that is properly installed in the correct direction and the rubber hoses and fittings are not deteriorated. I would replace it if you have ANY doubts that it working correctly.

The OIL CATCH CAN is always a good idea.

Don't talk your self into more work than you need to do. Your bank account will love you for it.. Unless your mechanic has tested the engine properly,, his EXCESSIVE BLOW BY theory could be a bad one.

Please let us know what you end up doing.

Good luck

Bill
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Very solid advice said above. I couldn't have posted it better myself.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks so much for the response and the troubleshooting list! That's exactly what I was hoping for and appreciate about this great forum! Members here with more knowledge and experience than me are so willing to help and advise.

By the way, I asked Rich if they did the RTV "fix" around the sensor holes when they replaced the knock sensors and he said they did. He said they also replaced other gaskets as well. It only took a few days for the P0332 to show up again...so here's hoping the catch can will help.

I'll definitely follow you'd advise and suggestions. Thanks!!

Last edited by FrankLP; 04-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

You might want to consider upgrading to the newer 2004 valley cover and PCV system as well.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by baxsom
You might want to consider upgrading to the newer 2004 valley cover and PCV system as well.
Yeah I just "stumbled onto" some of those threads. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

for peace of mind you could always do a cylinder leakdown test. that's probably the single most accurate test for the health of an engine

also would let you know if it's blow by or just a leaking seal
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racebum
for peace of mind you could always do a cylinder leakdown test. that's probably the single most accurate test for the health of an engine

also would let you know if it's blow by or just a leaking seal
Thanks...I'll research that so I can learn/understand how that test is done. I've seen it mentioned, but quite honestly don't know how it is done...but I'll find out. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1...rebuild or replace?

Quick Reply: LS1...rebuild or replace?