C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bench sidegear change out

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM
norv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bench sidegear change out

Can this be accomplished on both sides without jeapordizing the ring and pinion setup? Do the sidegears interchange (one part number)? Is it a matter of pulling the carrier cap bolts and then the carrier and seperating that into two pieces like breaking down a ford trac-lok posi?
Old 04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

If you are talking about spiders gears I would say yes. As long as you reinstall the carrier shims correctly, it should be fine. You don't need to mess with the pinion gear so that is not a concern.

Same would hold true for output shafts.

http://www.c5frc.com/DIY/Hardened_Ou...haft/index.htm
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 AM
norv
Instructor

Default carrier internals

Thanks for your input. 1. I take it carrier shims control side to side ring gear movement, similar to a 12 bolt and other salsbury style GM diff's? 2. Once the cross shaft and spyder gears are removed from the larger carrier half, I'm assuming the side gears drop right out. Yes?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by norv
Thanks for your input. 1. I take it carrier shims control side to side ring gear movement, similar to a 12 bolt and other salsbury style GM diff's? 2. Once the cross shaft and spyder gears are removed from the larger carrier half, I'm assuming the side gears drop right out. Yes?
1. Yes.
2. Not sure. I can see that the side gears are splined to ends of the output shafts. I assume if you can remove both shafts, you can easily replace side gears.

Now I am curious why you are asking.

Hopefully someone who knows for certain will chime in...
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 AM
norv
Instructor

Default Re curious

Developing the capability of upgrading the output shafts; clutches and springs as well as side and spyder gears on my garage bench instead of giving that work away, would give me a broader range of lower geared differentials to make purchase offers on.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Cool. The link I gave you above should be all you need, and if you put it back together correctly, should work fine.

Now just buy a cheap 2.73 or 3.15 take out and start experimenting!

Get notified of new replies

To Bench sidegear change out

Quick Reply: Bench sidegear change out