C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone gone back to stock EMT's?

Old 03-24-2008, 04:38 PM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Has anyone gone back to stock EMT's?

I'm currently running Pilot Sport AS/ZP tires and am in need of replacements. I want to stay with run flat tires and it seems to me the stock EMT tires have a stiffer side wall and corner better.

Has anyone gone back to the stock Goodyear EMT's after running Pilot Sport AS/ZP tires?

Regrets?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
BowTieRocket
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've posted on this several times, and am happy to do so again. I've had three different tires on two different C5s, and have a number of friends with the C5s, so have talked to a few people.

When I bought my 1999 A4 coupe, it had the Pilot Sport ZP tires in it. Rode hard, tramlined viciously, was loud, tires wore out way too fast. Switched to Avon Tech M550 all season non-runflats, and was much impressed. In fact, my wife would actually ride with me in the car, and my friends I used to race with back 30+ years ago quit saying that the C5 suspension was junk. They hated the road noise and hard ride. Also, the Avons would go around corners a bit faster.

Recently bought a 2002 M6 convertible. It has 32k miles and is still running the original tires. They are far better at about 20% life remaining than the Michelins were at any point when I had them (they were a bit less than 50% left when I got the car). So I'm going back with the F1 EMT tires when I replace them later this summer.

One friend has the Firestone runflats, and thinks they're great. 1999 M6 coupe. Another likes his Kumhos really well.

I know the Michelins are popular here on CF, but a friend with a new Mercedes AMG sports car plans on pulling the Michelins in favor of a set of Pirellis. This is a new car, with all that German panache and expense, and he just doesn't like the Michelins. His has the Pilot Sport tires, three season rather than the all season that they sell for the Corvette.

The price has come down noticeably on the Michelins in the past couple of years. Last time I checked, the local tire store (America's Tire Company) wanted about $2000 for a set of the F1 EMTs, and about $1800 for the Michelins. That was two summers ago. I checked again recently and found I can get the Goodyears for about $1800 ready to go, and the Michelins for a little over $1200. I'll still go with the Goodyears. Looks like Michelin figured out what their tire was worth, but it isn't worth $600 to me to get back to all that follow-the-groove and roar and thump.

Still, all this is subjective. I may have had a bad set of tires. I may have gotten lucky with this set of Goodyears. But it is what it is - nobody in my personal group of Corvette-owner friends has the Pilot Sport tires on their car.

If I had a bias, it would be toward the BFGoodrich tires. They've served me on my old Shelby for over 30 years, and on my 4x4 trucks and SUVs for over 20 years. And they're a Michelin product. But I really just didn't like the characteristics of the Pilot Sport ZP on the Vette.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:02 PM
AJay
Pro

Thanks for the reply BowTie.

I remember a few years ago right after installing the AS/ZP tires when I drove the car into the garage after washing it I noticed that the wet tire tracks were considerably narrower then with the old EMT's. I surmized at that time that less rubber on the road explained why the tires are quieter.

I do like the looks of the old EMT's better and the fact that they have a wider contact patch and stiffer sidewall means they will probably handle better.....still....they are sooo expensive
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I'm far from a flag-waver IMO, however ..........
Goodyear has chosen to build their new World Headquarters right here in Northeastern Ohio while many manufacturers are running to Mexico and various foreign countries while many whine about our U.S.economy? I have to hang with Goodyear as I applaud their commitment to THIS country
I've stayed with the OEM's and never perceived any noise issues although I don't have any other brands to compare to. Really, what I primarily hear in the Vette is ARH longtubes and Corsa Indys
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
HUMVET51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the Kumho EMTs. They are a high quality tire, meets and/or exceeds the characteristics of the GYs, and are much less expensive.(Discount Tire).
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by HUMVET51
Take a look at the Kumho EMTs. They are a high quality tire, meets and/or exceeds the characteristics of the GYs, and are much less expensive.(Discount Tire).
Kumho is a price point tire...they wear quickly and with the cost of mounting/dismounting , balancing etc. Not such a savings IMO
Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 AM
sunrise.cm
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJay
Thanks for the reply BowTie.

I remember a few years ago right after installing the AS/ZP tires when I drove the car into the garage after washing it I noticed that the wet tire tracks were considerably narrower then with the old EMT's. I surmized at that time that less rubber on the road explained why the tires are quieter.

I do like the looks of the old EMT's better and the fact that they have a wider contact patch and stiffer sidewall means they will probably handle better.....still....they are sooo expensive
I can confirm that ZPs are considerably narrower than EMTs. Having installed new EMTs on my 2000 vert last month, I can also say that new EMTs are very quiet when compared to 8 year old, dried out, worn out EMTs. I don't have experience with ZPs, so I cannot offer handling or noise comparisons to ZPs. My impression is that the new EMTs handle much better than the old tries taken off and without many of the negative atributes associated with EMTs. That said, the EMTs are expensive , especially if sensors are repalced with tires.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:26 PM
AJay
Pro

Originally Posted by sunrise.cm
I can confirm that ZPs are considerably narrower than EMTs. Having installed new EMTs on my 2000 vert last month, I can also say that new EMTs are very quiet when compared to 8 year old, dried out, worn out EMTs. .
My thoughts exactly. I wonder how much quieter the AS/ZP tires would be if they were compared to NEW EMTs vs. worn out tires.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm on my 3rd set at 111,000+ miles. I don't mind them. They are the best handling (really) tire, give you 3 more mpg (than non-runflats), are widest stock size tires by far, and can go 200 miles flat. They do tramline (follow ruts in the road) a lot, due to their width and stiffness. Non-runflats ride better and accelerate (hook up) better.

A C5 is a sports car, if I wanted a soft ride I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. Besides, my C5 rides way better than my 1964 Vert.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
fr0stb1t3
Racer

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Kumho is a price point tire...they wear quickly and with the cost of mounting/dismounting , balancing etc. Not such a savings IMO
They wear a heck of a lot better than my Firestone Firehawk's did, but neither were run flats either.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
corvettejoe98
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldvetter

A C5 is a sports car, if I wanted a soft ride I would buy a Lexus or Cadillac. Besides, my C5 rides way better than my 1964 Vert.
well put
Old 03-25-2008, 11:16 PM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

emt's
Old 03-26-2008, 11:23 AM
sunrise.cm
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJay
My thoughts exactly. I wonder how much quieter the AS/ZP tires would be if they were compared to NEW EMTs vs. worn out tires.
I have wondered about the same thing. We need one of those magazine tests comparing new vs new on the same car. That said, I accept that technology evolves and there are probably better tires out there. Problem is that none I am aware of offer 200 mile run flat or are not stock size, etc.

We frequently try to get off the beaten track and for me RF is a strong plus. Our last big trip took us through Southern Utah, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capital Reef, etc.. A flat in that region without RFs would be a huge pain.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
glide
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'19

The Goodyears wear very quickly so I'm trying the Michelins. The Firestones are much cheaper if price is a concern IMHO.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
AJay
Pro

Originally Posted by glide
The Goodyears wear very quickly so I'm trying the Michelins. The Firestones are much cheaper if price is a concern IMHO.

I think the reason the Goodyears wear quicker is due to the softer compound which = better cornering / handling.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone gone back to stock EMT's?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone gone back to stock EMT's?