C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Street Header: NEED HELP! Very frustrated! Pass Side Won't go in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:52 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default LG Street Header: NEED HELP! Very frustrated! Pass Side Won't go in!

Can someone please give me good instructions and pictures if at all possible. My LG street passenger side will not for anything go in! It keeps jamming between the AC lines and the underside of the car. I managed to get it to clear the starter but that was it....and then on top of it.....the damn air pipe (which I don't think you can bend at all) is always in the way and wedging itself between the header.

Can someone please assist! I worked on this problem for 3 hours today with no luck.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem I remember having was getting the bracket on the header that bolts to the bottom of the tranny (never did get it to line up with the bolt holes) passed the starter. I'm pretty sure I took my valve cover off too, not sure that I needed to. Other than that, it took about 30 seconds to drop it in. Good luck
Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I put on dynatech headers but I did have to take off the passengerside valve cover. are you coming in from the top????
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I watched these get installed on a friends car at Carlisle by LG, I thought the passenger side went in from the bottom.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:49 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

How high do you have your car. At least with the AR's, you had to get high enough to basically stand the header upright and twist. I also had to remove the starter wires and pull the starter to get it in, but that was because I didn't have help and it was caught up on some other electrical wires. Also had to remove a ground wire that was attached to the block(?).

The air tube is not flexible, but you should be able to move it around enough to get it out of the way. I basically pulled mine up and hooked it on one of the coil packs, and it stayed. Mine's also an 02.

What you should do is take a break, have a beer or two, and go back to it tomorrow. Nothing ever good comes when you get frustrated (my broken right toe will attest that kicking things that aren't working is not the solution. )

Last edited by nj02vette; 03-21-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:37 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default i agree

Originally Posted by nj02vette
How high do you have your car. At least with the AR's, you had to get high enough to basically stand the header upright and twist. I also had to remove the starter wires and pull the starter to get it in, but that was because I didn't have help and it was caught up on some other electrical wires. Also had to remove a ground wire that was attached to the block(?).

The air tube is not flexible, but you should be able to move it around enough to get it out of the way. I basically pulled mine up and hooked it on one of the coil packs, and it stayed. Mine's also an 02.

What you should do is take a break, have a beer or two, and go back to it tomorrow. Nothing ever good comes when you get frustrated (my broken right toe will attest that kicking things that aren't working is not the solution. )
that is why I stopped....was getting too frustrated with it and I had a fear that I was going to force it too hard and break an AC line or snap my air tube line from whatever it connects to behind the block. I accidentally broke my C4 tube and had to replace out the manifold cause that is where it broke....I don't want to go through that type of additional pain.

So yeh tomorrow gonna go at it again. I have the car up pretty high 21 inches to be exact. There is no way with that height will it go in from the bottom. I will have to try again from the top. If it won't go in from the top I will have to try to jack it up higher but Iam already using my jack and 2 4x4 blocks of wood to get it to this height. So I dunno...have to see what I can do.

Only other thing I have heard is to try to jack the motor up a little to see if that helps.

Its weird, I got passed all the normal bad places that would hang it up. I cleared the starter and nothing below is obstructing it, except what looks like the cars undercarriage. I think however it will go if I forced it. Iam concerned however how tight a fit it is on the ac lines though. It is really tight. That and I have only been able to move my air tube about 1inch up, anymore then that and Iam getting nervous it will break. Currently right now that leaves the airtube wedged in between the header and the block.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 03-21-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 PM
BillFRC
Advanced

Default LG Install

Yes the pass side goes in from on top. If air tube is in the way remove - it is attached by a 13 mm bolt behind on the drivers side head. I have taken off the valve cover for some xtra wiggle room. The starter has to be moved out of the way of the positioning tab on the header. Good luck - just take time they do go in.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if you have seen these to install how to's, so I will post them for you.Good luck, hope they help.

http://www.cajundude.com/longtubes2.htm

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ar...00d5d67b42fec3
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
RWVH
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the instruction sheet from LG ? Also they told me if you go in from the bottom you need try pry the motor over a little. That's how they do it in their shop. It also sounds like you need to get your car higher to go in from the bottom.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM
newberd
Racer

Default lg install

I installed mine about six weeks ago. I did both sides from the bottom. The pass side was harder than the drive side. The trick for me was to get the car very high. My instruction sheet called for at least 2 feet so I had to jack in 3 stages and got it up to 26 inches. And it really looks high like that but the header went right in after moving the starter wiring. I did not remove the starter itself or either valve cover. I made shoring to set the jack and stands on to get it that high. This is what worked for me. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
blue63cpe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put LG streets on last summer. Passenger side I did from the top with coils removed. Just wiggled past the ac lines. Drivers side was a bit tricky but go in from the bottom. A twist and a push and it went up and in (like FnM ) the job can be a bear but you can do it. I had my 02 24'' off the ground. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To LG Street Header: NEED HELP! Very frustrated! Pass Side Won't go in!

Quick Reply: LG Street Header: NEED HELP! Very frustrated! Pass Side Won't go in!