Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
2k2C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default LS1 firing order

Can anyone explain why GM changed the firing order of the LS1?

As most of you know the firing order of the Chevy small block had been 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 since the 265 ci came out in 1955. Then in 1997 and the introduction of the LS1 it was changed to 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

Just wondering what benefits this change had and I also suspect that is the reason that the LS1 exhaust note doesn't sound quite like the small blocks of yesteryear.
2k2C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Oldvetter
CF Senior Member

GM changed the firing order to allow them to increase the compression ratio without causing localized overheating and predetonation. I'm also told this allowed them to get away from the "reverse flow" of the C4 and it's problems with bleeding the cooling system of air.

And I hate it, the LS1 now sounds like a motorboat. GM trucks sound better than our car. Sometimes technology sucks !

Last edited by Oldvetter; 03-15-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Oldvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Mike94ZLT1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvetter View Post
GM changed the firing order to allow them to increase the compression ratio without causing localized overheating and predetonation. I'm also told this allowed them to get away from the "reverse flow" of the C4 and it's problems with bleeding the cooling system of air.

And I hate it, the LS1 now sounds like a motorboat. GM trucks sound better than our car. Sometimes technology sucks !
But new GM trucks use the same firing order?
Mike94ZLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
Oldvetter
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1 View Post
But new GM trucks use the same firing order?
I just checked and you are right, so why do the truck engines sound better than ours?
Oldvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Eric D
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11
Support Corvetteforum!

Daa!!! wrong thread posting. my bad!
Eric D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Blown427conv
CF Senior Member

I've heard that it was to even out the airflow in the intake, whereas the old school firing order would pull from 7 and 2 at nearly the same time causing a lean condition and uneven burn on other cylinders. There are cams for the old school engine that allows you to swap 2 cylinders in the firing order said to gain a small amount of power.
Blown427conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
2KFRC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
The other big ignition story with Gen III is a different firing order. Gone is the time-honored 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 sequence. This new engine fires 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. The cylinders are numbered the same: left bank: 1-3-5-7 and right bank: 2-4-6-8. The reason for the new firing order is better idle stability and less vibration.
http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html
Very good reading on the LS1 engine.
2KFRC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
BaerMonteSS83

Default the reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2C5 View Post
Can anyone explain why GM changed the firing order of the LS1?

As most of you know the firing order of the Chevy small block had been 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 since the 265 ci came out in 1955. Then in 1997 and the introduction of the LS1 it was changed to 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3.

Just wondering what benefits this change had and I also suspect that is the reason that the LS1 exhaust note doesn't sound quite like the small blocks of yesteryear.
The reason GM did this was to take the harmonics out of the crankshaft. Due to the firing order of the past design, there was a certain amount of vibration that would come into play in the center of the crankshaft. Warren Johnson pioneered this technology in his pro-stock door slammers in the NHRA racing for years before GM finally listened to him.
As a result, you now have a much stronger lower end engine with a smoother running engine. That said, with the 6 bolt mains, we are seeing LS1 motors with cross hatching marks in the cylinder walls well over 100,000 miles. So I hope this answers the question for you and I wouldn't have known about this until noticing the firing order on a drag racer's firewall. It's very common in the drag racing seen where motors are putting out over 1,000 horsepower.
BaerMonteSS83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
dougbfresh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvetter View Post
I just checked and you are right, so why do the truck engines sound better than ours?
Aren't the truck engines cast iron?
dougbfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969

Wow...this thread was started 2 years ago.....to the day.....
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Jesse Asis
CF Senior Member

This is what I heard about the firing order. The other big ignition story with Gen III is a different firing order. Gone is the time-honored 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 sequence. This new engine fires 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. The cylinders are numbered the same: left bank: 1-3-5-7 and right bank: 2-4-6-8. The reason for the new firing order is better idle stability and less vibration.
Jesse Asis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page LS1 firing order

Tags
1967, 1997, 2002, 2004, 84, block, calculator, chevy, compression, corvette, cylinder, firing, gmc, ls1, order, ratio, small