C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Steering Column Lock/Wait 10 after recall, how completely disable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
TimeCr0ss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
I just did this. I removed harness K, and now everything works fine. Is this an acceptable long term solution, or should I get harness K replaced or get a CLB in its place?
I can't seem to find out how/where to remove the harness K. Any descriptions? I'm very interested in trying this today....
Old 07-27-2008, 04:46 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeCr0ss
I can't seem to find out how/where to remove the harness K. Any descriptions? I'm very interested in trying this today....
It is behind the kick /knee panel on the drivers side. The harness is a 2" square plastic box usually in the steering column mounting bracket. It is plugged in on the right side of the steering column. Their is a great step by step in the sticky. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1015483

Last edited by Jnape; 07-27-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
dsidnam
4th Gear

Ugh. I have a 2001 manual with a top speed of 1.5 mph. Is there a possibility that this issue is due to a bad bcm? I towed it to the dealer after trying some of the quick fixes to this dreaded problem; and they want to charge me 1500 buck to replace the bcm. I think these guys are trying to rip me off, but they "say" they took a tech II reset the codes and checked the recalled wiring harness they had installed -- diagnosis was the bcm not interpreting the signal correctly and the bcm needed to be replaced. Would the clb still work; and, if so, what else do I need to do besides install it because the bcm currently thinks the column is locked and won't drive over 2mph. It seems most other problems were related to the actuator, but the dealer said that wasn't the problem...but he had never heard of a microswitch.. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by timemender
To the OP – John Galt

If the dealer must “replace” the motor assembly to get you going, why couldn’t they simply take the new motor assembly, NOT physically install it in the column, but simply “plug it in”, ground it to the chassis, and trick the BCM into thinking all is well.

At that point install the CLB. This would save you full labor cost since it would not be fully and permanently installed into the column.

Am I making any sense or just babbling on?

I don’t know what is involved in actually installing it into the column. Maybe the majority of the cost is in the motor assembly itself – though I doubt this what with the dealerships astronomically high labor rates.

Of course, good luck with getting the dealer to agree to this and not try to grab all the money they can get.
I don't think you need a working column lock actuator to get the system working. The only problem with leaving a failed actuator in the column is if it is in the locked position, and the lock plate has not been removed. Connecting a spare actuator will work to satisfy the BCM and keep it from cutting fuel, but it will not unlock the column.
A complete fix would be to remove the lockplate, so the column cannot physically lock. Then all you have to do is install a relay (or spare actuator) on the wiring back to the BCM to satisfy the BCM. Most likely, you have a Harness K relay installed that has failed, so the BCM is not getting a signal that the column is unlocked. Also, even though the Harness K connects to the actuator, it will still work with the actuator disconnected.
Does your column still lock, or has the lockplate been removed?

Any microswitch involved would be part of the column lock actuator so that it stops once the locking pin has reached the end of its travel. Here is a picture of the actuator.

Name:  55ec92f3.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  28.7 KB
Name:  4d1fb61e.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  24.8 KB

Here is what the Harness K relay looks like--The piece in the plastic bag is what replaces the lockplate to cancel the turn signal.

Name:  clb0.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  16.3 KB

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 12-30-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:35 PM
wps5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put a CLB in today and resolved all my problems. No messages no more fuel cutoff. See the sticky above and go to the last page to see my symptoms and what you and how it was corrected
Old 12-30-2008, 01:37 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman0330
I've had the same problem with my colum lock on my 2001 Z06, My car had the recall in 06 but just this past weekend it has decided to throw the wait ten sec and colum lock warnings at me. but my colum isn't locked I just have the fuel cut off issue. I read all you're posts which were really helpful and tried everything pulling fuses, disconnecting the battery, deleting the codes and I just insatalled the CLB from COH but I am still getting the warnings! does any body have any idea whats wrong?
Are you sure it is not a security issue with the key, and not the column lock?

As with any electrical device, it is possible that you got a bad relay (CLB).
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
dsidnam
4th Gear

Default Update

Originally Posted by dsidnam
Ugh. I have a 2001 manual with a top speed of 1.5 mph. Is there a possibility that this issue is due to a bad bcm? I towed it to the dealer after trying some of the quick fixes to this dreaded problem; and they want to charge me 1500 buck to replace the bcm. I think these guys are trying to rip me off, but they "say" they took a tech II reset the codes and checked the recalled wiring harness they had installed -- diagnosis was the bcm not interpreting the signal correctly and the bcm needed to be replaced. Would the clb still work; and, if so, what else do I need to do besides install it because the bcm currently thinks the column is locked and won't drive over 2mph. It seems most other problems were related to the actuator, but the dealer said that wasn't the problem...but he had never heard of a microswitch.. Any help would be appreciated!!!
SO, I called the dealer and got some more info. Codes pulled were b2592 and b2587. Flow chart says Actuator or BCM. Next step is to check BCM as an eliminator. Pulled wires, checked power, good. Next step ensure wiring harnesses are good and wires not frayed, all were good. Next step, replace BCM.

Does this seem reasonable to you because I would think hundreds of other things could cause this, namely the actuator motor or harness K sending a bad signal. Not sure though...any input on what to do kinda short on cash and don't know anyone in phoenix/mesa area that knows anything about electrical in vettes.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
dsidnam
4th Gear

Default Hah

Well because of everyone's help, I was able to avoid the 1500 dollar drain. The dealership called me up today and said they were sorry and I was right. They had tried putting a computer in and it did nothing. They came out with a new recall to the harness out now, so it seems every year they come out with a new harness. I plan to put a CLB in as soon as they install the recall. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
NastySVT
Racer

ound your link to install the CLB 01 z06 with recall done. Battery was dead for a month as the car sat untill I had it shipped here to mckinney TX. Replaced battery.(Was told by dealer to contact battery cables together for over 10 seconds and will reset fuel) error message returned. Locking plate has been removed already so it moves freely. Followed instructions to reset the fuel cut multiple times the message always returns and car always stalls if moved. I have researched that jumping 2 wires will work on the 5 wire recall connection under the BCM. If my locking pin is already removed, I assume the CLB will fix the problem? I've tried your way and using the cig lighter way that came in the CLB instructions.Any ideas before I jump the recall connection? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Kevin G
Instructor

My 2000 A4 had the recall work done and was good for several years. No CLB was ever installed. Then the fuel cutoff reared it's ugly head. A local tuner took care of that for me by resetting the speed to some ungodly fast number.

This leaves me with getting the pull key message, which I can replace with service column lock message by turning the key on, off and then back on and only then actually starting the car. Pushing the reset button clears the service column lock message.

I'd sure like to eliminate the messages so I can stop the extra cycling of the key / ignition.

I try to read through everyone's issues and possible & actual fixes and my head starts spinning. But I think my k harness fried. No codes.

The sticky seems to say I can just remove the k harness? But makes no mention if the messages will stop or continue.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Kevin G; 10-10-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Kevin G
Instructor

Thanks for the clarification! I'll give this plan a whirl.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:56 AM
NastySVT
Racer

Originally Posted by NastySVT
Found your link to install the CLB 01 z06 with recall done. Battery was dead for a month as the car sat untill I had it shipped here to mckinney TX. Replaced battery.(Was told by dealer to contact battery cables together for over 10 seconds and will reset fuel) error message returned. Locking plate has been removed already so it moves freely. Followed instructions to reset the fuel cut multiple times the message always returns and car always stalls if moved. I have researched that jumping 2 wires will work on the 5 wire recall connection under the BCM. If my locking pin is already removed, I assume the CLB will fix the problem? I've tried your way and using the cig lighter way that came in the CLB instructions.Any ideas before I jump the recall connection? Thanks for your help.
I had attempted every trick in the book and no change. best i got was a couple blown fuses and at one point my DIC turned into the matrix. I just had to laugh about that one.. lol

Well i decided to consult with "Sir Column Lockness" 8VETTE7 to tackle my Column Lock Fuel cut issue. For he is all that is wise and Knowledgable!

He instructed me as most threads here state to jump pins 30 and 87 on the relay under the BCM. The relay shows the pin location on the outside of the relay and I followed that to jump wires 30 and 87.. buttoned it up.. No Go...I come to find out that I was jumping #30 and 87 like i was supposed to but one of them was the purple wire (wrong white and orange only!) So i investigate to see maybe the tech who did the recall mixed up the pn locations, but then as I was looking inside the relay to see see any clues.........

Turns out the pin # locations are right under each pin! And they do NOT match the ones on the outside of the relay! ( FML why would they do that?)
So i jump the correct wires this time, install the CLB and Reconnect the battery neg. Turn the key and PRESTO!!! Mn that was the best feeling ever. havent driven my car in almost 2 months and it felt good!

Thanks 8vette7 for your quick response and detailed conversation to help me out. You Rock!

So Simple Procedure for any 01 Z06 6spd that has had the recall done with "pull key wait 10 seconds" followed by "Service Column Lock" and fuel cut @ 2mph..

1. Disconnect battery (pulling fuses wastes time and might not always pull the right fuse. Battery is master reset and allows you to have piece of mind working on electrical components.)

2. Pull passenger floor carpet and panel, pop out BCM and access relay with 5 wires(if it has 4 the recall has not been done.. 2 orange, white, green, purple)

3. remove relay cap and do not reinstall, leave pins connected to block and jump the white and orange pins 30/87 not 87a.

4. tape up jump wire and block for security and replace recall wire, BCM and reinstall passenger footboard capet and panel

5. Unplugg Column Actuator connection and install the Column Lock Bypass (leave Column actuator alone)

6. Attach negative terinal and You;re good to Go!

:cheers :
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Twisted99
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NastySVT

2. Pull passenger floor carpet and panel, pop out BCM and access relay with 5 wires(if it has 4 the recall has not been done.. 2 orange, white, green, purple)

3. remove relay cap and do not reinstall, leave pins connected to block and jump the white and orange pins 30/87 not 87a.

4. tape up jump wire and block for security and replace recall wire, BCM and reinstall passenger footboard capet and panel
Does anyone know how to put this back to original instead of jumping the pins?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Dan Wake
1st Gear

Hello. I'm looking at buying a C5 and ran into this issue researching it. Been reading about it for a week now.

I hope someone can clear up the last of my confusion.

It seems the latest recall put in a plate that can't lock. And also reflashes the PCM. But I haven't been able to see what that reflash does.

Also the best advice seems to have someone ( not the dealer) change the PCM to read 'not fitted' for a column lock, then move the fuel cutoff to 255mph.

My question is, if you reprogram the PCM to say that the car doesn't have a column lock, then why would we need to change the fuel cutoff? It seems to me if the PCM doesn't believe the car has a column lock then it will never care ever again what signal the lock motor is sending and would therefore never cut off the fuel.

So for now it seems the best is to verify the plate was changed, move the fuel cutoff, AND install the CLB.

But it looks like the CLB and the fuel cuttoff should be non-issue if the PCM is reflashed to 'CLB not fitted'.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
endlessviking
1st Gear

Ok gentlemen dig this. Started and ran perfect for two miles started to shake then engine light came on loosing power real fast. Whipped around to make it back home in this cluster of miss fires at 25 and going down like a pelican with 1/2 a wing trying acceleration ever so slight as it sounded as if was going to throw a rod. Limped home shaking and no idle for sure. Off. Wow I made it.!! Did the fuse thing no change in 4 cylinder like running and sounding like engine serious internals. I just know it's got to be the brains or my LSD flashes (old guy) battery is new even used another quickly still same however do not disconnect it is a pain to unlock the steering and there is no codes showing ever (yet). Used a new fuse for #23 floor side so it still sucks and blows.Whoa no codes and a lot of unburned fuel. Ideas anyone going to take it in Wednesday for 4 shocks 2007 thanks GM parts warehouse. But she might be flat bedded cuz the electrics seem to fight the firing order. Hey I got 98,000.00 and use dennison irridum and bosch wires so that's all I ever did but front pucks. Stock days are quickly going away now. Ideas?

s

Last edited by endlessviking; 03-29-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Oh yeah EB 2002 Z06
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by endlessviking
Ok gentlemen dig this. Started and ran perfect for two miles started to shake then engine light came on loosing power real fast. Whipped around to make it back home in this cluster of miss fires at 25 and going down like a pelican with 1/2 a wing trying acceleration ever so slight as it sounded as if was going to throw a rod. Limped home shaking and no idle for sure. Off. Wow I made it.!! Did the fuse thing no change in 4 cylinder like running and sounding like engine serious internals. I just know it's got to be the brains or my LSD flashes (old guy) battery is new even used another quickly still same however do not disconnect it is a pain to unlock the steering and there is no codes showing ever (yet). Used a new fuse for #23 floor side so it still sucks and blows.Whoa no codes and a lot of unburned fuel. Ideas anyone going to take it in Wednesday for 4 shocks 2007 thanks GM parts warehouse. But she might be flat bedded cuz the electrics seem to fight the firing order. Hey I got 98,000.00 and use dennison irridum and bosch wires so that's all I ever did but front pucks. Stock days are quickly going away now. Ideas?

s
What are you even saying here-what language is this?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:15 PM
joe Villarreal
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Galt
I tried it both ways and still no go. Any other ideas?
I cleaned the key after. Having this problem for 2 hours and it shut off five or six times after thinking and reading all the helpful posts on here I decided to clean the key pellet with a electronic spray cleaner available at any auto parts store I sprayed pellet like five times letting it dry between sprays. And low and behold the first time in the key hole and no more message or shut off. Now to call that place in Houston just in case

Get notified of new replies

To Service Steering Column Lock/Wait 10 after recall, how completely disable?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:00 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wingman0330
I've had the same problem with my colum lock on my 2001 Z06, My car had the recall in 06 but just this past weekend it has decided to throw the wait ten sec and colum lock warnings at me. but my colum isn't locked I just have the fuel cut off issue. I read all you're posts which were really helpful and tried everything pulling fuses, disconnecting the battery, deleting the codes and I just insatalled the CLB from COH but I am still getting the warnings! does any body have any idea whats wrong?
Subscribing to this thread no matter how old it is. I have the same car as I have quoted above. My battery was weak and I had run it down with the radio on changing the oil and bleeding brakes last weekend. I replaced the battery and cleared the codes but my car dies every time I move it. So many suggestions on here that I don't know which way to go! The thing that really sucks is that I was supposed to attend an open track day tomorrow and now I can't!!!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Member since 2011 and still haven't taken care of the Column Lock!

Oh well...........
Yes it's been addressed...at the dealership. I am looking at the receipt performed on May 15, 2006 for "Install Harness Kit (U.S. Man. Trans Only)" for a Harness K Part# 89023816. It was performed under recall warranty. I just called the local dealer service shop and they told me that it would now be my responsibility to pay for the fix AGAIN!

By the way I have been a member on here since 2011 when I was looking for a C5Z, but I didn't buy one until Feb 2013.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

What is my next step to get this resolved? So many suggestions I don't know where to begin. I cleaned off my keys and replaced the battery.

Quick Reply: Service Steering Column Lock/Wait 10 after recall, how completely disable?