C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken seat bracket, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:50 PM
mcgavin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broken seat bracket, how to fix?

So I don't know how it happened, but a main bracket for supporting my driver seat broke. This one is on the back on the left side (as if you were sitting in the seat). In one picture I have the broken part sort of sitting on top of the other half of it, which is still riveted to the rail. I have a machinist friend that can make me a new one of these, but I was wondering if there is an easier answer. If I weld it, its going to brake again because its some kind of crapy cast aluminum or zinc part, so thats really not a good option.

Any ideas?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
bassspring
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem but both sides were broken I checked with the dealer and found out you cant buy just the broken part would have to buy the whole seat track I think it was about $750.00 so I made my own made the flange part and welded a steel sleave to it has worked for about 3 months now. If I can help let me know. Bassspring
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bassspring
I had the same problem but both sides were broken I checked with the dealer and found out you cant buy just the broken part would have to buy the whole seat track I think it was about $750.00 so I made my own made the flange part and welded a steel sleave to it has worked for about 3 months now. If I can help let me know. Bassspring
I would never buy anything from a dealer!! Check with Gene's Karshop for used parts. He's a CF vendor listed on the left of this page.

Good luck.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 PM
mcgavin
Advanced

The sleave sounds like a good idea. I was guessing I'd have to make my own part, which isn't a big deal. I was sort of just wondering how common this was. If anything, seat brackets are usually rock solid parts for safety reasons (duh). I wouldn't think this would be something I'd have to worry about.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
bassspring
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most everthing I have replaced I thought should have lasted alot longer and whats real crazy is I want to buy another one. Bassspring
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I tried to replace my bracket, but couldn't becaus the deal that moves the seat up and down was broke and I couldn't get at any of the nuts to dis assemble the bottom of the seat
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You're pretty much screwed. It's cheap metal. Unless you can weld and fabricate your own bar, it's time do check ebay and on here for a new seat frame.

I've seen them for as low as $50 to a high of $300.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken seat bracket, how to fix?

Quick Reply: Broken seat bracket, how to fix?