C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC: "shocks inoperative"

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default DIC: "shocks inoperative"

I tuned on my car this morning to see this message. I'm not sure exactly what this means for my driving. The car has always felt a little stiff compared to the 98 in the family.

a) what may have caused this
b) is it worth fixing
c) if it needs to be fixed, is it less expensive to upgrade to other types of shocks?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should only get this message if the car has the F45/F55 real time dampening or Magnetic Ride Control systems. They went to the F55 system in 2003.

If you have this option then something has failed either a controler, shock or sensor. When this occurs the computers are to limit the speed of the vehicle to less than 80 mph. I believe I read that somewhere.

My shocks on my f45 system went bad at 98K miles and the ride got real bad and the car frequently bottomed out. I replaced them with low mile take offs and have been fine since.

If the shocks need replacing, they cannot be rebuilt, they are very $$$$ like $450-500 each. If that is the case then I would look into finding a low milage takeoffs or going with a standard shock and having the F45 option deleted from the PCM or using a SIM to trick it. I know that some 97's and 98's have difficulty removing the option from the computer if yours is one then you have to use the SIM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Pull the codes on the RTD system just like you pull the codes for everything else and look them up or post them on here and it will give you a good idea of what failed.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

I see you live in Houston

My car's a 97. I'm not sure if magnetic ride dampening was an option for that year. If my car is equipped with it, I've certainly never felt it in working condition.

Should the message occur on every startup? It hasn't occured since this morning.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:21 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I see you live in Houston

My car's a 97. I'm not sure if magnetic ride dampening was an option for that year. If my car is equipped with it, I've certainly never felt it in working condition.

Should the message occur on every startup? It hasn't occured since this morning.
Its is the older F45 RTD system. Do you have a dial in the center console infront of the shifter with three positions on it? If you don't then and your not the original owner of the car then look on the option code sheet for the car. It will be either on the bottom side of the left rear compartment cover or on the back of the glove box cover. If you see an code F45 then your car originally was equipped with this option. If you don't then it didn't have it.

However if it does but you dont have the dial anymore then its likely that the shocks have already been replaced. If so then either you are experiencing a software problem or if a SIM was used that it's not working properly.

If you do have the dial and the shocks are the F45 shocks then you will see a wire lead from the shock and you will see a position sensor connected to the lower A-arm. If you are getting this message intermittantly it would seem to me that you are having a sensor problem. My shocks went bad and I never got this message.

Yes I live in Katy just south of I-10 off Fry Rd. If you want you are more than welcome to stop by and I can take a look.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have the selective ride control dial. I never noticed a difference between the settings. I assume the shocks were out before I bought the car. Area there comperable aftermarket shocks that will give better handling?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

There are several shocks that will provide excellent handling. It just depends upon how much ride comfort and money you are willing to part with.

If you use an aftermarket shock you will have to have the F45 option deleted from the computer or use a SIM. A SIM in this case is several resistors that are wired into the system to trick it into thinking the shocks are still there. The one problem I have heard about the SIM's is that they can burn out and result in several codes. A good tuner or your local dealer with a Tech II can delete the option. However I have heard that some 97 and 98 C5's can be problematic in going this route so be aware that this could be a problem.

As for shock suggestions I would post another topic asking for advice. I still have the full F45 system so can't really help.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

I"m thinking Bilstein sport shocks. They seem to be relatively inexpensive (around $200/set pre-owned or $300 new) I have a tuner who can delete the shocks. I've been told they're rather stiff, but compared to the ones I have now, A go-Kart would be a smoother ride.

Originally Posted by gonbad
There are several shocks that will provide excellent handling. It just depends upon how much ride comfort and money you are willing to part with.

If you use an aftermarket shock you will have to have the F45 option deleted from the computer or use a SIM. A SIM in this case is several resistors that are wired into the system to trick it into thinking the shocks are still there. The one problem I have heard about the SIM's is that they can burn out and result in several codes. A good tuner or your local dealer with a Tech II can delete the option. However I have heard that some 97 and 98 C5's can be problematic in going this route so be aware that this could be a problem.

As for shock suggestions I would post another topic asking for advice. I still have the full F45 system so can't really help.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The F-45 option can ONLY be deleted using a GM Tech II because the RPO options are stored in the BCM. The BCM can only be accessed with a TECH II Scanner.

If I were you, I would have the option deleted, remove the F-45 stuff and up-grade to Z-51 sway bars or ZO6 Sway bars and install some C6 ZO6 shocks (Yep, they bolt right in without any problems or modifications needed! )

You will be amazed at the difference. The best part,,,,,, ,,,All FOUR shocks can be purchased for about $250. Yep,,,thats the TOTAL for all four! Get them though Gene Culley www.gmpartshouse.com They were $230 when I purchased them.

I installed them on my 02 ZO6 and they made a noticeable improvement in cornering control. The ride was only a little bit stiffer than the regular ZO6 shocks and was nothing to complain about.(My OEM ZO6 shocks were still good so, there wasn't a lot of difference like you will feel! ) The most improvement for me was there was a LOT less tire unsettling in Wash board turns. The car now has little or no side stepping when you go around rough curves.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

I'm a noob in the suspension world so I must ask: What do sway bars do? What makes the C6Z shocks superior to the Bilstein Sport shocks?

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The F-45 option can ONLY be deleted using a GM Tech II because the RPO options are stored in the BCM. The BCM can only be accessed with a TECH II Scanner.

If I were you, I would have the option deleted, remove the F-45 stuff and up-grade to Z-51 sway bars or ZO6 Sway bars and install some C6 ZO6 shocks (Yep, they bolt right in without any problems or modifications needed! )

You will be amazed at the difference. The best part,,,,,, ,,,All FOUR shocks can be purchased for about $250. Yep,,,thats the TOTAL for all four! Get them though Gene Culley www.gmpartshouse.com They were $230 when I purchased them.

I installed them on my 02 ZO6 and they made a noticeable improvement in cornering control. The ride was only a little bit stiffer than the regular ZO6 shocks and was nothing to complain about.(My OEM ZO6 shocks were still good so, there wasn't a lot of difference like you will feel! ) The most improvement for me was there was a LOT less tire unsettling in Wash board turns. The car now has little or no side stepping when you go around rough curves.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Frus
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.
I changed FE2 shock-absorbers for FE1 on my Corvette c6. There was an error: "shocks inoperative, the maximum speed 138km/h". How to delete this error?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:32 PM
sandonov
Cruising

Default sensor problem after shocks change on C6

I am sorry that I am asking again but I do no find the answer of that question in C6 forum. Can you please help me out?thank you.QUOTE=8VETTE7;1581304075]Your bringing back to life a 4 1/2 year old thread (Forum rule is 45 days) and your asking a C6 question in a C5 forum. Start a new thread over in C6 and ask your questions.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 PM
sandonov
Cruising

Default the same problem

Hi,
Did you find out the solution of this problem?I am sorry if this is not the place to ask.
My email is sandonov@abv.bg
QUOTE=Frus;1581303272]Hi.
I changed FE2 shock-absorbers for FE1 on my Corvette c6. There was an error: "shocks inoperative, the maximum speed 138km/h". How to delete this error?[/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

all Shock Options are RPOed in the BCM. You have to access the BCM with either the GM Tech2 or GM Modus and remove that RPO Option for the Real Time Dampening Shocks.

If you don't remove the RPO Option from the BCM, you will always get the DTCs, Messages and power train limitations.

Simple as that. Once you remove the RPO Code, you can run what ever shock that you desire. I like the GM C6 ZO6 for stock ride height C5 because they are cost effective and performance to dollar worth the purchase. For approx $260, you can have four C6 ZO6 shocks.

Contact Gene Culley www.gmpartshouse.com

He has the C6 ZO6 shocks, proper sway bars and bushings and springs for an unlimited choice in suspension options.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM
sandonov
Cruising

Thank you, I will check thi one.
all Shock Options are RPOed in the BCM. You have to access the BCM with either the GM Tech2 or GM Modus and remove that RPO Option for the Real Time Dampening Shocks.

If you don't remove the RPO Option from the BCM, you will always get the DTCs, Messages and power train limitations.

Simple as that. Once you remove the RPO Code, you can run what ever shock that you desire. I like the GM C6 ZO6 for stock ride height C5 because they are cost effective and performance to dollar worth the purchase. For approx $260, you can have four C6 ZO6 shocks.

He has the C6 ZO6 shocks, proper sway bars and bushings and springs for an unlimited choice in suspension options.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:53 AM
sandonov
Cruising

Thank you, I will check this one.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC: "shocks inoperative"

Quick Reply: DIC: "shocks inoperative"