C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump ?

If the water pump is going bad on a 03z where would the leak from the pump materialize .You know if it was coming from the weep hole. Would it be left side of the block or right. I have some leakig when the car sits and I dont know how to tell if thats where its coming from.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hilt
If the water pump is going bad on a 03z where would the leak from the pump materialize .You know if it was coming from the weep hole. Would it be left side of the block or right. I have some leakig when the car sits and I dont know how to tell if thats where its coming from.
The water pump is located on the passenger side front of the block. I'm not sure I understand the "I don't know how to tell where it's coming from" statement. Shine a flashlight down there and look around. Put the front of the car up on ramps, and get your head up there with a flashlight and do some looking. If there is too much coolant, wipe it down, and check again for leaks. If it's coming from the weep hole, it won't leak once the car has cooled (no pressure in system). You will just have to do some looking around dude.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:22 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 187 Likes on 170 Posts

Once it hits the cradle, no telling where it can hit the floor. It should leak directly under the pulley on the pump if its the bearing (weep hole). Check your hoses too.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

Just to let you guys know my pump was leaking fromt he gaskets. I removed the pump and put new oem gaskets now no leak .
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Water pump is a cheap and easy fix if you do it yourself if you have to do it. Got a rebuilt one for around $100. Not a big job, except for the removal of the coolant.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
crignaj
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long does it take to change out, start to finish? Assuming average mech. skills ?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 187 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd say maybe three hours. Its not a hard job, just messy. I use aluminum foil and make a funnel where the two hoses on the side attach to the pump then remove the hoses slowly aiming the fluid into the aluminum foil and into the catch basin. Then I cover the front pulley and composite spring with aluminum foil when I pull the pump to keep the coolant off of the rubber in the pulley and off the spring. Then wash everything down. Installation isn't hard but the pump is heavy and keeping the gasket in place while installing can be a bear. This time I am making studs to slide the gaskets and pump on so the gaskets stay in place.

Having the front of the car in the air helps purge the system when you re-fill too.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

I drained the coolant from the thermostat housing. Just loosen the bottom housing bolt and the top a little with a drain pan under it. You should get a nice little stream to drop right in. Takes a little more time to drain but you dont have to get under the car. BTW GM has new metal gaskets for the pump. Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To water pump ?

Quick Reply: water pump ?