C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Lingenfelter starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Lingenfelter starting issues

I recently purchased a 98 lingenfelter that had some front end damage. I am in the process of putting the front bumper and radiators back together i went to move it last night and it no longer starts. Ispent all last night looking through these threads found alot of good ideas and information but.... just went outside to see what if any it could be and still have the same problem.

What its doing...
Turn the key to the on position and the ign (42) relay under the hood is whinning, chirping, buzzing you name it its probably made that noise. So i checked the grounds as best i could the two front bulk connectors looked fine, the two on the frame rail close to the firewall looked great no corrosion what so ever, put a newer battery out of my brothers camaro still made noises. The dash is reading out all sorts of information low power, low coolant, low tire pressure.... The radio is not coming on. Trunk wont pop open, and i have not yet check the fuel pump but i doubt they are the problem cause it just ran a few days ago and i have not touched it since.

I am new to corvettes if this was a camaro i could trouble shoot this lickty split, but as for the body control module, what does that do? could that have went out? Or maybe the pcm? This has got me totaly stumped someone please point me in the right direction before i have to let the dealer get it running....

Thanks, Rob
Old 12-16-2007, 06:41 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Poweraddr
I recently purchased a 98 lingenfelter that had some front end damage. I am in the process of putting the front bumper and radiators back together i went to move it last night and it no longer starts. Ispent all last night looking through these threads found alot of good ideas and information but.... just went outside to see what if any it could be and still have the same problem.

What its doing...
Turn the key to the on position and the ign (42) relay under the hood is whinning, chirping, buzzing you name it its probably made that noise. So i checked the grounds as best i could the two front bulk connectors looked fine, the two on the frame rail close to the firewall looked great no corrosion what so ever, put a newer battery out of my brothers camaro still made noises. The dash is reading out all sorts of information low power, low coolant, low tire pressure.... The radio is not coming on. Trunk wont pop open, and i have not yet check the fuel pump but i doubt they are the problem cause it just ran a few days ago and i have not touched it since.

I am new to corvettes if this was a camaro i could trouble shoot this lickty split, but as for the body control module, what does that do? could that have went out? Or maybe the pcm? This has got me totaly stumped someone please point me in the right direction before i have to let the dealer get it running....

Thanks, Rob
The first place to start is the battery. Check all of your battery cables and connections to see that their tight.

Charge up or jump the battery to see if the car starts ? If this works have your battery load tested. C5"s need the juice, if your battery is at all compromised, replace it.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

More info is needed.
Is this a twin tubo car or just heads and cam?
Sounds like bettery is dead.
Could be several things.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

You need to read the fault codes to see if and codes have been set.
Lots of good info here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=BCM+short

Also, Read Bill Curlee's thread on electrical problems.

Last edited by Greg_E; 12-18-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

ill check the codes tomm, i know the battery i put in is good! When it cranks i sprayed alittle ether in it and it poped over once or twice so i have spark but what do you think is making that relay make noises like that? its a supercharged car btw
Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

ill check the codes tomm, i know the battery i put in is good! When it cranks i sprayed alittle ether in it and it poped over once or twice so i have spark but what do you think is making that relay make noises like that? its a supercharged car btw
Sounds like fuse for the boost a pump or fuel pump blew and no fuel getting to motor.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PFMC3
Sounds like fuse for the boost a pump or fuel pump blew and no fuel getting to motor.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

Sorry i have been out of town... I will go out to the garage and pull all the codes if there are any. But where i am confused is that the one relay is making all kinds of noise that cant be normal. when i unplug the coil pack harness it stops making noises... I checked every fuse i could find with a test light and they all lit up. Does anyone know exactly what fuse it is?
Old 12-25-2007, 04:18 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Sorry i have been out of town... I will go out to the garage and pull all the codes if there are any. But where i am confused is that the one relay is making all kinds of noise that cant be normal. when i unplug the coil pack harness it stops making noises... I checked every fuse i could find with a test light and they all lit up. Does anyone know exactly what fuse it is?
Boost Pump has it's own in-line fuse off of the battery.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok. Without more info, it would make sense that something down stream of the coil pack harness is causing the problem. Plug the harness back in and disconnect the + lead to each coil, one at a time, until the relay chatter stops. When you find the bad one, plug the others back in and see if a single coil or the wiring to it are the cause of the problem. Looking at the schematic, it appears there are two circuits. One for 1,3,5,7 and one for 2,4,6,8, so depending on where a wire is shorted (assuming that's the problem), you may need to disconnect an entire bank to get the relay to stop chattering That should help narrow down the problem.
Any related codes would be a big help.

Last edited by Greg_E; 12-25-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

Ok this was interesting... Got ALOT of codes in history and a few current here they are haha

10 pcm - no comm. ??? not good i presume

28 tcs -
C1255 H EBTCM Internal Malfunction
C1276 HC Delivered Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction
C1255 HC EBTCM Internal Malfunction

40 BCM -
B0432 H Rear Defogger Relay Circuit
B0502 H RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0503 H RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0507 H LH DRL Relay Circuit
B0508 H LH DRL Relay Circuit
B2482 H Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2483 H Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2527 H Horn Relay Circuit
B2587 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive A
B2592 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive B
B2593 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive B
B2723 H PASS-Key Detection Circuit
U1255 HC Serial Data Line Malfunction
U1046 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX
U1016 H

60 IPC
U1040 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX
U1016

80 RADIO
U1064 H

99 HVAC
U1064 H
U1096 H
U1160 H
U1255 H Serial Data Line Malfunction
B0333 HC Outside Air Temperature Sensor Open

A0 LDCM
B2282 H Battery #1 Circuit
B2284 H Battery #2 Circuit
U1064 H
U1096 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX

A1 RDCM
B2283 H Battery #1 Circuit
B2285 H Battery #2 Circuit
U1064 H
U1096 H

A6 SCM
B0851 H Battery 1 Out of Range
U1064 H
U1016 H

B0 RFA
U1096 H
U1064 H
U1000 HC Class 2 Communication Malfunction

Well thats those... i reset the codes and only the current or "C" were still in the list. The check engine light is lite BUT VERY DIM and kind of flutters like a candle... The lights on the dash that are lite up are:

Air bag
seat belt
check gauges
traction control
abs
and the dim check engine light

The messages read across the display are as follows
Service tire mon sys
low coolant (no radiator in car currently)
reduced engine power
low fuel (almost a full tank)
service abs
service traction
service vehicle soon
check tire pressure

And one more thing for the first time today i put the key in and it said
"pull key - wait 10 sec."

This is all the information i could gather hope its not overwhelming and does not scare off someone who could be of help. If there is any thing else i need to look up for someone please ask as i need to figure this out.

THANK YOU!
Rob
Old 12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Ok this was interesting... Got ALOT of codes in history and a few current here they are haha

10 pcm - no comm. ??? not good i presume

28 tcs -
C1255 H EBTCM Internal Malfunction
C1276 HC Delivered Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction
C1255 HC EBTCM Internal Malfunction

40 BCM -
B0432 H Rear Defogger Relay Circuit
B0502 H RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0503 H RH DRL Relay Circuit
B0507 H LH DRL Relay Circuit
B0508 H LH DRL Relay Circuit
B2482 H Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2483 H Backup Lamp Relay Circuit
B2527 H Horn Relay Circuit
B2587 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive A
B2592 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive B
B2593 H Column Lock/Unlock Drive B
B2723 H PASS-Key Detection Circuit
U1255 HC Serial Data Line Malfunction
U1046 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX
U1016 H

60 IPC
U1040 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX
U1016

80 RADIO
U1064 H

99 HVAC
U1064 H
U1096 H
U1160 H
B0333 HC Outside Air Temperature Sensor Open

A0 LDCM
B2282 H Battery #1 Circuit
B2284 H Battery #2 Circuit
U1064 H
U1096 H U1001-U1254 Lost Communication with XXX

A1 RDCM
B2283 H Battery #1 Circuit
B2285 H Battery #2 Circuit
U1064 H
U1096 H

A6 SCM
B0851 H Battery 1 Out of Range
U1064 H
U1016 H

B0 RFA
U1096 H
U1064 H
U1000 HC Class 2 Communication Malfunction

Well thats those... i reset the codes and only the current or "C" were still in the list. The check engine light is lite BUT VERY DIM and kind of flutters like a candle... The lights on the dash that are lite up are:

Air bag
seat belt
check gauges
traction control
abs
and the dim check engine light

The messages read across the display are as follows
Service tire mon sys
low coolant (no radiator in car currently)
reduced engine power
low fuel (almost a full tank)
service abs
service traction
service vehicle soon
check tire pressure

And one more thing for the first time today i put the key in and it said
"pull key - wait 10 sec."

This is all the information i could gather hope its not overwhelming and does not scare off someone who could be of help. If there is any thing else i need to look up for someone please ask as i need to figure this out.

THANK YOU!
Rob
Hey Rob,

Why don't you start with clearing all of the codes to get rid of the garbage and then post up what the current codes are, it will make it a lot easier to work with.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

Qoute from my last post:
"Well thats those... i reset the codes and only the current or "C" were still in the list. The check engine light is lite BUT VERY DIM and kind of flutters like a candle... The lights on the dash that are lite up are:"

When i reset the codes all erased except the five Current codes

C1276
U1255
U1255 (Came up in two categories the tcs and bcm)
B0333
U1000
Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Qoute from my last post:
"Well thats those... i reset the codes and only the current or "C" were still in the list. The check engine light is lite BUT VERY DIM and kind of flutters like a candle... The lights on the dash that are lite up are:"

When i reset the codes all erased except the five Current codes

C1276
U1255
U1255 (Came up in two categories the tcs and bcm)
B0333
U1000
DTC U1000 and U1255
Class 2 Communication Malfunction

DTC C1276, P1644, or P1689
Delivered Torque Circuit

DTC B0332, B0333, B0337, or B0338
Air Temperature Sensor Circuit

Have you checked your battery condition and that all connections are tight ?

Have you gotten any moisture(water) into car. I would pull the passenger wheel and the covers to check the wiring into the PCM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

The battery is good i have three batteries from three cars that are now in storage same problem with all three even after charging them properly. My next step is to check the harnesses that are plugged into the pcm. the right side fender is easily removed as it was damaged and needed to be replaced. So i will hopefullly check that tommorow if i have the time to. But what would cause a No Comm. with the pcm? the harness unplugged or having to teach the pcm and bcm to talk again? As I said before i am new to this corvette thing, camaros are so much easier to diagnose lol.

o yea no moisture been in a gararge for the last 5 years i can count on my fingers how many times it has been in the rain. I knew the previous owner. He actually just bought a c6 and is having lingenfelter put twin turbos on that one now lol

The air temperature circuit is probably tripping because the sensor is not on the car im guessing it is forward of the motor somewhere and i have most of that appart to replace the bumper and radiator.

Last edited by Poweraddr; 12-26-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:58 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

The battery is good i have three batteries from three cars that are now in storage same problem with all three even after charging them properly. My next step is to check the harnesses that are plugged into the pcm. the right side fender is easily removed as it was damaged and needed to be replaced. So i will hopefullly check that tommorow if i have the time to. But what would cause a No Comm. with the pcm? the harness unplugged or having to teach the pcm and bcm to talk again? As I said before i am new to this corvette thing, camaros are so much easier to diagnose lol.

o yea no moisture been in a gararge for the last 5 years i can count on my fingers how many times it has been in the rain. I knew the previous owner. He actually just bought a c6 and is having lingenfelter put twin turbos on that one now lol

The air temperature circuit is probably tripping because the sensor is not on the car im guessing it is forward of the motor somewhere and i have most of that appart to replace the bumper and radiator.
No comm with PCM could be short or ground problem. Did your battery leak and damge any wiring ? Your major wiring for the car runs under the battery ?

I would check this out first if that okay maybe your PCM just crapped out.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

everything under the battery looks to be in tip top shape! But i will check the connections tommorow after work. it doesnt seem to common that pcm's crap out though this is just going to take some time and frustrations to figure out lol

Get notified of new replies

To 98 Lingenfelter starting issues

Old 12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

This is a maggie car correct. I suspect a damaged harness under the rail cover or at the back of the intake area.Look for a damage to harneses that go to fuel injectors. Sounds like the front end impact jarrred a harness loose and might of got a little cooked somewhere.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Poweraddr
Cruising

Not sure what a maggie car is... But i was thinking a damaged harness myself with something shorting out causing the irract noise coming from that relay. like i said when i disconnect the main harnesses for the coil packs the noise stops. Ill check that out tomm or try to. I really wish sometimes these cars wiring was as simple as my 65' nova haha had problems with that awhile back and just installed a complete new harness for roughly 200 bucks!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:35 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

Not sure what a maggie car is... But i was thinking a damaged harness myself with something shorting out causing the irract noise coming from that relay. like i said when i disconnect the main harnesses for the coil packs the noise stops. Ill check that out tomm or try to. I really wish sometimes these cars wiring was as simple as my 65' nova haha had problems with that awhile back and just installed a complete new harness for roughly 200 bucks!
Maggie=Supercharger
It is actually easy to find the haness issues.
The harness had to be extended for the install look at it closely i bet you find your problem.

Quick Reply: 98 Lingenfelter starting issues