C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Shifter questions?? I have a C5, can I get C6 shifter install instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 AM
jzvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Shifter questions?? I have a C5, can I get C6 shifter install instructions?

I just purchased a SWEET C5 Z06 Z16 and would like to install a C6 shifter. Where can I buy one other then the dealer?? Does anyone have Install instructions with photos?? I just recently sold my C4, it's very NICE to step up to the C5 ranks, I always knew your were good people, now I'm one of you!!! FEELS GOOD!!!! jzvette
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

In the C5 Tech forum, there is a red banner with "search this forum". Use keywords "C6 Z06 shifter" and/or "C6 Z06 shifter installation" or similar. This is only one such past discussion...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...c6+zo6+shifter
You will find hundreds of past discussions, many with images, to help you on this mod quest...
On the main menu page, you will see many of the site supporting vendors listed in the column to the left. One of the them is Gene @ GMPARTSHOUSE. Click on that link. That's the source that 99.9% of the CF members buy their C6/Z06 shifters from. It's a complete kit with everything but the boot. You can easily modify your oem boot to work with the C6/Z06 shifter or buy an after market.
**Read this ad for price and "part number" code required to order the C6/Z06 shifter from Gene at GMPARTSHOUSE...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1879342
Here's a GP that someone started for the C6/Z06 shifters...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1806945
There probably isn't anything that hasn't been asked and answered in past discussions that search won't answer for you.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-07-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan to re-use the old boot here are some instructions:

A note regarding the shifter install itself: When you put the new shifter assembly in, make sure you get the the grooved part of the shaft lined up with the collar correctly (peek in the hole in the collar and you'll see if it's lined up). Also if the collar is not tight enough when you release the neutral locking pin and rock the shifter side to side you'll see that the collar will slip relative to the shaft. If this happens it will be hard to get into reverse...

What I did with the old boot was slice the stitches in the folded over area, and two stitches into the outwardly visible section of the boot (this allows for the bigger diameter **** to fit into the old boot). If you find that the **** doesn't quite fit sparingly remove an additional stitch one at a time until it fits. You don't want to cut too far down as you'll make the boot too short. Turn the boot inside out, then take an exacto knife and slice into the glue that the factory uses to hold down the folded over area until the folded over area is freed from itself (this part is a little tough, but take your time, you'll get it). Most of the folded over area will be trimmed off later, but it needs to be separated to help the leather to not bulge at the base of the **** when installed. I then got some steel wire, doubled it over (for strength), inserted the new **** in the boot (in the proper orientation, you'll understand once you look at it). Then take the wire, wrap it around the boot with the **** in place, twist the ends together. Use pliers to tighten (not too much as you'll break the wire) but enough to cause the wire/leather to sink into the groove in the new ****...Then snip off the excess wire and tuck the twisted together end of the wire into the groove. Trim off the excess leather to expose the area where the screw goes in to attach the **** to the shaft. Invert the boot (right side in) and check to see if the stitches of the boot line up with the stitches in the ****.. Twist it to line it up if it is not..Lastly, I liberally applied Lexol leather conditioner to the inside and outside of the boot to make it supple again..All done...Hope this helps...Let me know if there are parts I need to clarify better...

Old 12-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I posted these a while ago.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1022661

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/pat...rInstall.shtml

Last edited by Patches; 12-08-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
lp2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about taking the shifter from a 2006 C6 and putting into a 1999 C5?

Is that possible?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The C5 and C6 bases are the same. Just install the upper shifter base from a C6 on to your C5 base. Here is a picture of the inside of the shifter base:

Joe

What ever shifter you decide on using, your going to find it some what unique getting the shift **** off. C5's have something called a DEMAND PIN You have to remove that and then the **** will unscrew.

Pop the shift pattern cap off, grab the pin with a pair of vise grips and tap UP on the vise grips to extract the pin.

I use a KIRBAN Shifter. I like the positive SPRING to center feel it provides! I find that it helps prevent shifting from 3rd back into 2nd during those intense session at the track The KIRBAN (as well as some other aftermarket shifters) have shift stops that you can set. You will notice that the C5 & C6 shifters do NOT have stops built into the shifter.

I set mine so that the shift handle fully engages the gear and "JUST" contacts the stop. It gives me that reassurance that it in gear.

Here is a picture of a KIRBAN compared to the stock C5:

If you use a shifter with a metal mounting plate that is thicker than the stock shifter stock mounting plate (like the KIRBAN),,, MAKE SURE that you use longer mounting screws!!! Other wise the screws will not screw into the housing far enough and strip out later!

I see the MOD BUG has already starting to nibble!

Bill Curlee

Get notified of new replies

To More Shifter questions?? I have a C5, can I get C6 shifter install instructions?

Quick Reply: More Shifter questions?? I have a C5, can I get C6 shifter install instructions?