C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are people wasting $ on oil catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
The PCV valve when operating properly is a one-way check valve. If you have a properly baffeled catch can very little oil should get in the manifold.
I'm talking about the TB to valve cover line. What if I put a PCV valve in that line?.... I already have the catch can on the actual PCV line so I am no longer concerned with that one. Oil does travel to the TB from the valve cover even thought it is considered the fresh air line in the opposite direction. I want to stop the oil flow up but not the air flow down. I'd rather not pop for another catch can (unless that's the only thing that works) and try a check valve (or PCV valve) in that line.....
Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Ok I went down to the garage and checked something.

I pulled the valve cover/TB line to check for vacuum direction. Indeed, a slight vacuum (VERY light) was being pulled by the valve cover inlet. The TB nipple was not pulling a vacuum.

Obviously, the TB nipple is IN FRONT of the throttle blade so when the blade is closed (at idle) there is no vacuum. However, on the OTHER side (engine side) of the throttle blade, there is vacuum (especially at idle).

So clearly the TB is not intended to do any sucking FROM the valve cover (at idle with the throttle closed).

My question is, has anyone tested the effects (under load) of the characteristic changes of the throttle body nipple turning into a vacuum? Either it would have to suck or the valve cover would have to blow in order for the (KNOWN) oil travel from valve cover to TB....

My check valve/PCV valve question still stands for this line...

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
allmee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a clear filter element in the line between the TB & VC. I get nada oil in it!!
Old 12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by allmee
I have a clear filter element in the line between the TB & VC. I get nada oil in it!!
How much time do you spend at 6500 RPMs?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:58 PM
allmee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car about once a week & always do spirited driving! Had it out today at redline a few times & about 125 on the freeway. I have 2 catch cans & a clear filter, I use this to monitor when oil is starting to get through, in the PCV line and I catch alot of oil, but nothing at the other line.

Rob
Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I would make sure you do not have a fresh air source as that would be unmetered air..... The stock PCV system does not have a fresh air source.....
Sure there is a fresh air source on the stock PCV system ... and it IS metered air. The fresh air is drawn into the engine through the hose that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover(s).

On a side note:
When GM go rid of the PCV valve in 2004 and used a 2.5 mm orifice, the essentially became a "fixed" PCV valve as it regulates the flow of crankcase gassed into the intake manifold.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Sure there is a fresh air source on the stock PCV system ... and it IS metered air. The fresh air is drawn into the engine through the hose that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover(s).

On a side note:
When GM go rid of the PCV valve in 2004 and used a 2.5 mm orifice, the essentially became a "fixed" PCV valve as it regulates the flow of crankcase gassed into the intake manifold.
Woops, forgot to read the rest of the thread?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
merven
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
But this is the new world.....real science does not matter anymore! Only politics.

LOL yea just ask Bush about Global warming!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by merven
LOL yea just ask Bush about Global warming!!!!
Or Al Gore.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:25 PM
merven
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Or Al Gore.
LOL hmm Nobel Peace winner VS unarmed opponent in a battle of wits, lol JK I know how you Texans love your Bush!!
To me their all full of S@#$% DemocRAT or RepBULLican their just politicians!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by merven
LOL hmm Nobel Peace winner VS unarmed opponent in a battle of wits, lol JK I know how you Texans love your Bush!!
To me their all full of S@#$% DemocRAT or RepBULLican their just politicians!!!!
Actually, I don't follow politics.

Besides that point, I think Al Gore is a retard and getting the Nobel Prize completely devalues the award, IMO. And it shows how pathetic people have become. Or how politics run the world in place of good sense. Too bad. Let's not hijack, eh?

Quick Reply: Are people wasting $ on oil catch cans