C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 01:33 AM
dogdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!

PLease explain to me what I am reading on the threads. I asked about upgrading head/fog lamps. Saw the thread on this which states "c5Euro-headlamps special $199.95. Then under it it stated c5 Euro Headlamps special APC H4 90/130 #39.95. Is one the lens and housing and one the bulbs. I am looking for an EASY plug and PLAY...no mechanical TALENT in this GARAGE!!!
And what is the H4 T-84???? ANd what about Phillips HID...I know it is expensive but is it easier to install??
Thanks tons,
Dogdoc :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 11-22-2001, 08:56 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (dogdoc)

PLease explain to me what I am reading on the threads. I asked about upgrading head/fog lamps. Saw the thread on this which states "c5Euro-headlamps special $199.95. Then under it it stated c5 Euro Headlamps special APC H4 90/130 #39.95. Is one the lens and housing and one the bulbs. I am looking for an EASY plug and PLAY...no mechanical TALENT in this GARAGE!!!
And what is the H4 T-84???? ANd what about Phillips HID...I know it is expensive but is it easier to install??
Thanks tons,
Dogdoc

dogdoc:

T-84 is the export headlight lens assembly, which is a single reflector for one bulb with a glass lens. The OEM is two reflectors in one unit with two bulbs and a plastic lens. It is generally agreed that the T84 reflector and lens design is better (the originals were for a Cadillac Cimmeron, I believe).

H4 is the bulb for the T-84, and incorporates high and low beam into the same bulb (two filaments). OEM uses two separate bulbs, one each for high and low beams.

Stock wattage on both the OEM and T-84 are 55w low beam, 60 watt high beam. Bulbs are available in different combinations up to 130 watts. The higher wattages (above 80w) need revised wiring and relays.

The T-84 assemblies themselves used to cost about $35 each, I've heard that GM has doubled the price to $70, but you may still be able to get them for the old price. They include a 55/60w H4 bulb. 80w PIAA H4 bulbs cost about $60/pair.

In addition to the bulbs and assemblies, you will need a three prong H4 connector, which needs to be wired into the headlight system, to replace the two per side OEM connectors. Many vendors now sell an adapter Y type harness to eliminate the wiring (plug and pray).

A Philips HID (high intensity discharge) bulb kit is available for both the stock and T-84 assemblies. This is just the bulb, not the complete unit you see on BMWs, Audis, etc. Whereas the C5 lens and reflector assemblies are optimized for the particular bulb installed, i.e., the T-84 was designed for the H4 bulb, the assemblies were not designed for the HID application, although they are installable. In the OEM assembly the HID bulbs replaces the low beams, your high beams remain as is, or you can increase the wattage on those to 80w bulbs without rewiring. On the T-84, it replaces the bulb as a low beam, and you lose the high beam.

You can also inexpensively replace the bulbs in the fog lamps with 885 bulbs (about $7.00 each) and get better light from them (once you adjust them a little higher than factory).

The T-84 assemblies can be installed by the typical "do-it-yourselfer" with minimal tools, just access to the three screws holding each lens assembly is a bit "challenging." But, people do it all the time. To me, the best bang for the buck are the T-84 assemblies with 80w/80w bulbs and a Y harness so no additional rewiring is required. HIDs are bright but cost a lot more, and in the T-84 don't offer high beam.

Hope this helps. :smash:
Old 11-22-2001, 11:27 AM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (EHS)

EHS,

Well done. Thanks for sorting it all out in one reply.

Snowman
Old 11-22-2001, 11:49 AM
azarby
Racer

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Snowman)

Moderators,

EHS's reply is really great, should be included in the C5 tech tips or FAQ.

Bob
Old 11-22-2001, 12:37 PM
dexter
Team Owner

Right click; print; OK

Thanks for an explanation I can finally understand.
:D
Old 11-22-2001, 12:56 PM
dogdoc
Instructor

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (dexter)

Thanks for the info....I am printing it out! Dogdoc :yesnod:
Old 11-23-2001, 08:20 AM
NewfieC5
Racer

EHS
Thanks for that. I have been wanting to upgrade for months but have been confused as all helll with all the products out there :yesnod: :)
Old 11-23-2001, 11:59 AM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (NewfieC5)

Thanks to everyone for the comments. If you would like, I can expand this post with more details (including pics of the results (at night) and installation details) -- which, I guess could be the basis for a FAQ post.

Let me know and I'll try and expand it this weekend (between the errands).

Thanks again -- part of trying to help is knowing it's appreciated. :blueangel:
Old 11-23-2001, 07:40 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Crossing over from the import world, I've been dealing with headlamp/bulb upgrades for years. Having said that, EHS's response was the best I've ever read. I even learned something. It's stuff like this that keeps me glued to the forum. Thanks EHS, and everyone else, for sharing your experiences.

Greg
:cool:
Old 11-24-2001, 12:35 AM
jinki
Heel & Toe

THANKS A MILLION!! EHS

You are the man! I really want more details....

Jin-Ki
Old 11-24-2001, 08:22 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

EHS,

Thanks! Excellent explanation of this confusing topic. I'd be interested in seeing other information and pictures concerning this.

Yes, it is highly appreciated. :yesnod:

Ed
Old 11-24-2001, 04:14 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Dogdoc:

There is some excellent information here about it, if you want to change to the Euro headlight system. However, I took another approach, and I think it was easer, much lower in cost, and I have much more light out in front of my car at night! :yesnod:

I bought a WR9005/6A wiring harness for 9005/6 bulbs, which included all the relays and excellent directions, and rewired my 4 bulb system. The system allows the bulbs to get direct battery power and not have to go through all the inadequate factory wiring before it gets to the bulbs. This allows the use of 100 watt 9005 and 9006 bulbs, AND all 4 bulbs stay on with the selection of the high beams. Of course, only the low beams are on when the low beams are selected. This does not change the operation of the fog lights.

I got it from Competition Limited for a cost of $54.95 plus $5 shipping. You can contact them at 734 464-1458 or fax 734 878-5477 or web site http://www.htnews.com/comptitd

Try it, you'll like it :cool:
Old 11-24-2001, 06:01 PM
DAP
Pro

For a laugh on the install, click here...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=169768
Old 11-24-2001, 06:21 PM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (DAP)

Thanks for a great reply EHS. You covered most of the bases in one post! If you post in the FAQs, please incorporate info on the PIAA 1100X driving lights. Many of us have added them too.
Old 11-25-2001, 09:43 PM
Hex29A
Racer

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Jim 47)

Dogdoc:

There is some excellent information here about it, if you want to change to the Euro headlight system. However, I took another approach, and I think it was easer, much lower in cost, and I have much more light out in front of my car at night! :yesnod:

I bought a WR9005/6A wiring harness for 9005/6 bulbs, which included all the relays and excellent directions, and rewired my 4 bulb system. The system allows the bulbs to get direct battery power and not have to go through all the inadequate factory wiring before it gets to the bulbs. This allows the use of 100 watt 9005 and 9006 bulbs, AND all 4 bulbs stay on with the selection of the high beams. Of course, only the low beams are on when the low beams are selected. This does not change the operation of the fog lights.

I got it from Competition Limited for a cost of $54.95 plus $5 shipping. You can contact them at 734 464-1458 or fax 734 878-5477 or web site http://www.htnews.com/comptitd
Jim 47

Any heat problems running two 100W lamps at the same time in the stock plastic reflectors?

[Modified by Hex29A, 8:43 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 12:51 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Hex29A)

Hex29A:

No, I have not had any problems with the high wattage bulbs and the Original equipment lenses. Everything works as it should and I have gobs of light with the highs on. :yesnod:
Old 11-26-2001, 01:08 AM
Hex29A
Racer

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (Jim 47)

Thanks Jim 47. That is a nice alternative!

Hex29A:

No, I have not had any problems with the high wattage bulbs and the Original equipment lenses. Everything works as it should and I have gobs of light with the highs on. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!

Old 11-26-2001, 01:32 AM
chadwick
Team Owner

The magic question I have is why is the export headlight assembly different from the domestic one? Is there a regulation that the domestic assembly has that the export one doesn't (or vice-versa)?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:19 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (chadwick)

The magic question I have is why is the export headlight assembly different from the domestic one? Is there a regulation that the domestic assembly has that the export one doesn't (or vice-versa)?
Yes :cool:
Old 11-26-2001, 03:11 PM
EHS
Race Director

Default Re: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!! (chadwick)

Here is a link that has quite a bit of detail on the subject:
http://lighting.mbz.org/faq/

:smash:

Quick Reply: Headlamp/fog lights for DUMMIES!!!!