C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice....Upgrading injectors (thanks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 01:23 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (dsk888)

I recommend 30# Injectors.

I will put them in along with my heads/cam package also!!!

You can get them at our forum vendor Speed Demon Motorsports.

Call or mail Chris and he will set you up.

Michael

[Modified by Austrian Vette, 6:24 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 04:24 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some 30# SVO injectors in stock and can get them to you by tomorrow! :)
To be honest though, I really am not sure you need them. You HP is well below what the stock injectors should be able to handle. Yours are 26# injectors and the Z06 are 28#. 26#ers should handle your HP levels just fine.
JMHO,
Thanks for the vote Michael. :) :)
Old 11-20-2001, 04:55 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I would go with Ford Motorsport SVO 30# injectors from summitracing.com They will run about 36# at LS1 fuel pressure. Get a MAF Translator, or custom tuning to maximize these injectors. There is so much more to injectors than just needing them because you are running out of fuel.

I would agree with others that your current injectors should be able to handle strictly HP needs. If you plan on sustained WOT for any length of time, you should realize that with your more efficient motor, you will be running the injectors at full duty cycle, which leads to sooner failure.

Old 11-20-2001, 05:07 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (kewlbrz)

I would go with Ford Motorsport SVO 30# injectors from summitracing.com They will run about 36# at LS1 fuel pressure. Get a MAF Translator, or custom tuning to maximize these injectors. There is so much more to injectors than just needing them because you are running out of fuel.

I would agree with others that your current injectors should be able to handle strictly HP needs. If you plan on sustained WOT for any length of time, you should realize that with your more efficient motor, you will be running the injectors at full duty cycle, which leads to sooner failure.
Why else do you need injectors unless you are running out of fuel??? I would try and stay around 80% duty cycle on the injectors. You can go higher than that for drag racing, but I would not sustain above 90% for too long. What RPM do you shift? Do you have a log file of some runs(not on the dyno as there is not a real load on your car)?
Again, my guess at this time is, you do not need them. I would like to see a log file though.
Good Luck,
Old 11-20-2001, 06:04 PM
team-zr1
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Team-zr1 :)

I just ordered a set of the SVO 30# injectors from Chris @ Speed Demon. Looks like I'm going to need the MAFT after all.

Does any vendor have one for sale that can ship it out today?

The newest version is 5.2 and not 4.2.
Old 11-20-2001, 06:30 PM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (team-zr1)

Hi John,

What's the difference between 4.2 and 5.2 version?
BTW, you have a small box coming UPS. Sent it yesterday.

Thanks, Eric
Old 11-20-2001, 06:34 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,243 Likes on 3,474 Posts

From my experience, injector mods are often done with the same mentality that led carb people to consistently over-carburet and wonder why their cars run like s**t. I'm running 24# in a 494 hp dynoed engine with no problems. I ran 30's on it but even with my completely programmable injected and supercharged 300c.i. engine system I still had to set the pulse-width so short that the only way I could get a decent fuel spray was to artificially increase pressure beyond reasonable limits.

As someone else noted, until you have some evidence you are running lean you stand a good chance of really producing a dog by over injecting. Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:06 PM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (team-zr1)

Yup, that's what it is!! :eek:
Old 11-20-2001, 10:42 PM
RG in Dallas
Race Director

Elite Member
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

We offer the MAFT for $175 shipped free as well as autotap.

dsk888,

Good talking to you today. I knew I remembered that sign on.:)

RG
Old 11-20-2001, 11:58 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (Avanti)

Avanti, carbs, and computerized vehicles are very different.

You can't hardly fool a mechanical device, whereas with playing around with injector sizing, and by tricking the PCM via a maft, you can do things like increase timing. When selecting a larger than stock injector when fuel trims are lean, it also give you a much broader tuning range. Its all about perceived loads and manipulation. Since with integrated systems like in modern fuel injected engines, these sorts of things can be acomplished successfully using these kinds of approaches.

And as I always say about doing injector mods. Not necessarily for everyone to dive into.

[Modified by kewlbrz, 10:06 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 12:05 AM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (kewlbrz)

Avanti, carbs, and computerized vehicles are very different.

You can't hardly fool a mechanical device, whereas with playing around with injector sizing, and by tricking the PCM via a maft, you can do things like increase timing. When selecting a larger than stock injector when fuel trims are lean, it also give you a much broader tuning range. Its all about perceived loads and manipulation. Since with integrated systems like in modern fuel injected engines, these sorts of things can be acomplished successfully using these kinds of approaches.
Well, I will have to lean towards Avanti on this one. You can one make a pulse width so small and turn the pressure down so low before things get out of whack. Slightly too large is fine. You can tune for that rather easy, but putting 42# injectors on a heads and cam car would make for a car that will never quite be right.
JMHO,
Old 11-21-2001, 12:31 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (2FST4U)

Well, I will have to lean towards Avanti on this one. You can one make a pulse width so small and turn the pressure down so low before things get out of whack. Slightly too large is fine. You can tune for that rather easy, but putting 42# injectors on a heads and cam car would make for a car that will never quite be right.
JMHO,
Yes that would be an extreme for a stock displacment motor. No arguements from me there.

Im sorry if I implied someone could be stupid and put something out of line like that in a mild motor.

And actually the pulse train amplitude remains constant, so saying "make a pulse width so small" is misleading. Saying a "small frequency" would even be wrong. A larger rated injector would actually broaden (not shorten) the frequency in the train to force the injector to fire less rapildy.

[Modified by kewlbrz, 10:54 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 01:20 AM
99 Corvette
Drifting

dsk888,
Check out the Tech Tips (if you haven't already) there is, what looks like a very helpful, step-by-step instructions for installing injectors.

Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice....Upgrading injectors (thanks)

Quick Reply: Need advice....Upgrading injectors (thanks)