C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature too high?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
jimbob wilson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature too high?

Have a 2002 Coupe that coolant temp runs about 195-200 at highway speeds. When in traffic for short periods (5 minutes) the temp goes to 225-230. Temp drops back to around 200 as soon as I get up to about 45 mph. Does this not seem a little too high? Will a 160 thermo help with high temperature? If so, will I need to change fan settings?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Those are very normal temps for a stock car. No need to become concerned unless you see it exceeding 235.

A lower temp thermostat won't limit your maximum coolant temps when not moving...that is the function of the fans.
However, installing a lower temp Tstat allows you to reprogram the fans to control the high end of the temp spectrum without having the fans run constantly. Meaning, if you try to cool the motor down to the point the Tstat is closing, the fans will almost never shut off. THAT is the one and only reason a lower temp Tstat should be installed.

You can reprogram the fans conservatively, ie: have them cycle between 220 down to 210 without changing the Tstat. But, if you want a window of coolant temp much below that, then a lower temp Tstat would be necessary.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:46 PM
donaho
Instructor

Perhaps you already did this, but check for leaves and debris in front of the radiator. Every time I check mine I find something stuck in there.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The factory on settings for the fans are 225 for Fan 1 and 235 for Fan 2. A lower thermostat will keep your temps down for the majority of the time you drive. The only time your temps will come up is when sitting in traffic in the cooler months of the year, but they come right back down quickly because of the cooler outside air. In the warmer months, you will most likely have the A/C on, which causes both fans to be on, so it won't matter if you are sitting in traffic or not. As long as you have air flow across the radiator, your temps will stay in the lower range. I have a 160 stat and my temps stay around 178* - 181*. I have HP Tuners, so I have lowered my fan on settings, but you can still benefit from a lower stat, and lower coolant temps, without having to spend the money on a tune just to turn the fan settings down. If you decide to get a tune after some mods, you can turn the fan temps down then.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Seems about normal from my experience with my 2004. I doubt a 160 thermostat will help stop the temp going up in traffic or at stop lights. The basic problem is two fold in MHO.

1) the fans don't come on until about 226 and go off at about 219 degrees. (Exception is that if you have the AC on) so you can expect to see the temp rise to at least 227 or so before you start to get any relief.

2) the capacity of the radiator is insufficient to provide enough cool water when the thermostat does open (again IMHO) unless you are moving fast enough to have a decent air flow through the radiator.

Your OEM thermostat is probably something like 195 and as you mention in a very few minutes of traffic or at a stoplight the temp heads to somewhere between 220 and 235 or so. Yet if you get back to moving, the temp will settle down to more reasonable levels quickly. The air moving through the radiator makes it start cooling the water again.

One possible solution I have heard mentioned is to have the temp values at which the fans turn on and off reprogrammed. Not sure if that can really be done or not. Maybe a knowledgeable tuner will help answer that one.

I live in Tucson where summer temps are often above 105 so I am about to order a larger capacith radiator from Tom Dewitt who has a special going between now and Dec. 15. Much bigger capacity and all aluminum. ie not the plastic tanks that are prone to leak over time.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinion.

Chuck S.
Yes you can have your settings reprogrammed. ECS did mine at Carlisle this year. Now they come on at 200, and off at 180. My temp stays pretty steady at around 196 with the stock stat in it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM
corvettedoug
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donaho
Perhaps you already did this, but check for leaves and debris in front of the radiator. Every time I check mine I find something stuck in there.

Those are fairly normal temps though. You should be closer to 220 when sitting in traffic, unless it is a real hot day. As long as you are under 235, you are good though.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
jimbob wilson
Intermediate

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Temperature too high?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temperature too high?