C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do to my motor? :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
Woohoo my car is back

Timing chain failure took out half of the valves

With the stock crank pulley (no more underdrive) I picked up 45 HP and 58 TQ to make 523 and 481.

On the down side I have noticed a noise that sounds like tapping possibly coming from underneath the car (engine compartment and blower are so loud it is impossible to hear the noise from the top). It happens only after I hammer it and does it for a minute or so and then goes away. So what else do I have to look forward too???
With over 100K miles on the motor, expect to put in a new short block soon if you hammer it alot... Start collecting parts now a little at a time. That way it wont hurt the pocket all at once when it happens...
Old 12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chriswtx

With over 100K miles on the motor, expect to put in a new short block soon if you hammer it alot... Start collecting parts now a little at a time. That way it wont hurt the pocket all at once when it happens...
Cool, I got 5k more to go before I worry Seriously, with 95k on her now, I believe I am on borrowed time. Tuner told me not to go over 6k RPMs and I have actually tried to keep it maxed at 5500. Just took for a little stroll and the noise did not happen after 3 WOT runs. Oil pressure is a little on the low side and doesn't change much with low RPM change, gets to about 50 psi at my new 5500 redline but sits around 29-33 at idle and cruising on the highway. We'll see how she flies tonight [Han Solo] Hear me baby, hold together [Han Solo]
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM
AMRAAM
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetterlatethannever
Woohoo my car is back

Timing chain failure took out half of the valves

With the stock crank pulley (no more underdrive) I picked up 45 HP and 58 TQ to make 523 and 481.

On the down side I have noticed a noise that sounds like tapping possibly coming from underneath the car (engine compartment and blower are so loud it is impossible to hear the noise from the top). It happens only after I hammer it and does it for a minute or so and then goes away. So what else do I have to look forward too???
On the road again!

Good to hear. Looks like some great numbers I bet it's a blast to drive.

I hope that tap isn't serious. I think I am starting to lean toward heads, cam and intake at this point. I don't want to start a thread like this one.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:17 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Held together tonight although I went easy on her. Was supposed to run sprayin' LS2 GTO but it didn't pan out (I think the blower suprised them when I turned on the car). Only really laid into it once, noise wasn't as loud today and really didn't notice it until the sound echoed off a concrete bridge girder, definately there though. Wonder what it could be......
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 PM
exploder
Burning Brakes

I guess the pulley is not wobbling anymore? I think the noise could be the tensioner under the blower not being tight all the way or going out. Or it could be an exhaust leak, but it would probably do it all the time. Can you make a vid while it is doing it?

Quick Reply: What did I do to my motor? :(