C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

glass roof panel scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
reebeno
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass roof panel scratches

does anyone have any suggestion on how to remove scratches from a glass roof panel. I picked up a transparant targa top from a 2002 c5 but it has light scratches all over it, they actually look like swirl marks like someone used a buffer on it and scratched it.they are not really noticable from the outside, but from the inside it looks like spider webs. I waxed it and and I thought it got rid off them but *** soon as it rained they came back. Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:28 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have buffed a few light scratches out with a rag wheel and some jewelers rough,but for anything you can catch with a finger nail I would take to a glass shop,Did you get a good deal on the top? I have been looking for a fiberglass lid at a good price any color.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Lithium
Pro

I hate to say this and I might be wrong, but if you can feel the scratches with your fingernails then they are too deep to repair. I had a lot of scratches on my windshield and ended up having to it replaced because the glass guy couldnt get the scratches out.

I'd say take it to a windshield repair place and have them take a look and see if it's repairable or not. The check should be free. Mine was.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
reebeno
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bucwheat
I have buffed a few light scratches out with a rag wheel and some jewelers rough,but for anything you can catch with a finger nail I would take to a glass shop,Did you get a good deal on the top? I have been looking for a fiberglass lid at a good price any color.
thanks for the suggestion. $200.00 from a local guy that sold his car.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:53 PM
reebeno
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Lithium
I hate to say this and I might be wrong, but if you can feel the scratches with your fingernails then they are too deep to repair. I had a lot of scratches on my windshield and ended up having to it replaced because the glass guy couldnt get the scratches out.

I'd say take it to a windshield repair place and have them take a look and see if it's repairable or not. The check should be free. Mine was.
thanks, you cant feel the scratches and I have actually made them less noticable with plastic polish. I will try a glass shop
Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The "glass" top is actually Lexan, a high strength plastic.

Outside has tinted coating on it.

Some have fixed outside by sanding and clear coating. You should use an adhesion coating first.

Generally it is accepted that once it starts going you need a new or re-skined roof.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 10-30-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 PM
jordanfd
Racer

Once the top is scratched it's history. Check out this site for black chrome paint called hyper black. It gives top a black glass look.
www.innate.com Frank
Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 PM
schmaltzr
Instructor

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somplace wher they rebuild them. You might search on the web for that. - Ron
Old 10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by schmaltzr
I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somplace wher they rebuild them. You might search on the web for that. - Ron
astrotops.com they have adds in all vette mags.average prices.

Get notified of new replies

To glass roof panel scratches

Quick Reply: glass roof panel scratches