C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me?? AFR heads or Trick flow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
PWR 50X
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me?? AFR heads or Trick flow?

I am ready to have heads, more aggresive cam shaft, timing chain, push rods, lifter (new type), gasket kit & balancing blt, headers (lg motorsport), fuel injectores (30-36 psi?), catch can. The most expensive part are the Trick flow heads at about 2400.00. Is it worth the money?
Please share your opinions.
Thank you.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I dont think you can go wrong with either. The TFS have a different valve angle so if you run a more agressive cam, that may benifit you. Others will chime in
Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Vette-Red
Racer

I've got all the bolt ons, pretty healthy cam and the tsp ls6 stage 2.5 heads, milled to 59cc's and put down 462hp and 403tq. So for half the price of the trick flows I got some decent numbers. You'd probably pick up a little more and the graph will be diff. with the trick flow's or the afr's, but for me at the time it was a money issue. Check my sig.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Vette-Red
I've got all the bolt ons, pretty healthy cam and the tsp ls6 stage 2.5 heads, milled to 59cc's and put down 462hp and 403tq. So for half the price of the trick flows I got some decent numbers. You'd probably pick up a little more and the graph will be diff. with the trick flow's or the afr's, but for me at the time it was a money issue. Check my sig.
What are your cam specs?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

That's a long list of parts, but what is missing is what you plan to do with the car and how you plan to drive it. If you want more fun on the street, I would tend towards lower cam duration and smaller port heads with high compression and tight quench. If you plan all 1/4 miles driving, then a more aggressive cam that winds up higher and makes power up top is what you are after. There are so many combinations out there you are going to get a large number of recommendations, but you need to decide what you are seeking from the car for performance and then tailor your selection accordingly. The hardest part is being realistic as opposed to going for the biggest peak number you can get and ending up with a car you don't enjoy as much.

And if you have an MN6, better add a clutch to list in the near future
Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My setup was mainly built for the streets using trickflow heads and a smaller cam (parts are in my signature). I made 444rwhp and 414tq and couldn't be happier. You can't go wrong with either the Trickflows or AFR.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:04 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I have the TF heads, too, and a smallish cam. Don't think they're that much better than AFRs, to be honest, but they're about the same price, and you can run a bigger cam w/o fly cutting the pistons. I'd do the same thing if I had a chance for a do-over. Word of advice, if you decide on the TFs, get the cam package from ECS or Vengeance.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Vette-Red
Racer

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
What are your cam specs?
specs are in my sig, see below.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I have the TF heads, too, and a smallish cam. Don't think they're that much better than AFRs, to be honest, but they're about the same price, and you can run a bigger cam w/o fly cutting the pistons. I'd do the same thing if I had a chance for a do-over. Word of advice, if you decide on the TFs, get the cam package from ECS or Vengeance.
Or contact Brian Tooley who is Tea/Trickflow and he'll point you in the right direction. If you go with AFR's contact Tony Mamo. Both guys know their Sh*t. Brian told me to go with a cam that was the same or similar to what Vengeance told to use for the direction I was going for except it was cheaper.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Tigger
Drifting

Just got the latest Summit Racing catalog. They have an LS1 Trick
Flow package with heads, cam (choice if three), push rods, Harland
Sharp rollers, gasket kit and bolts for $3,099.

Very tempting.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 PM
silver01z06
Instructor

personally i have tea/tfs heads. the afrs are a good product also. as far as the tsp or other ls6 heads, they are good products for the money. if money isnt a problem go with the tea/tfs or afrs
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
PWR 50X
Instructor

My goal is to have an around town car. i d not intend to race or do 1/4 mile, i think. The entire job is going to set me back about 6400.00 dollars. The tf heads are the most expesive at about 2400. any ideas as to where i can get a lower price on them?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Sometimes you can catch some type of sale on parts but don't look for huge discounts. Even used the AFR's and TFS heads retain their resale value. There are also some smaller cams out there that in my opinion provide better street manners and will fatten the lower end of the curve where you spend most of your time. I have always focused on the low to mid range torque rather than a peak number. I have also tried to make my peak hp number at 6,000 RPM rather than 6,800 RPM so the cam I selected falls off above 6,000. I knew this going in though. The interesting thing is that after installation of a ported FAST intake, the hp peak moved up a couple of hundred RPM so the intake is carrying the cam up further in RPM. We also just installed a 220/224 cam in a friends car and he came up just under 400 hp cam only. I guess the bottom line is research your parts before making a decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help me?? AFR heads or Trick flow?

Quick Reply: Please help me?? AFR heads or Trick flow?