C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Regultor replacment tutorial *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:04 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Window Regultor replacment tutorial *pics*

For those of you with dying window motors or frayed wiring, getting an entire window regulator assembly is the only option. I had frayed wires AND a dying motor. I was quotes prices upwards of $400 to fix this problem.

After consulting with forum members, I purchased a window regulator assembly from SMP performance for $158 shipped. (special thanks to Shaun Carter for getting the part to me before my clubs cruise this saturday)

Note: This tutorial is for the Driver's side window. If you're doing the passenger side, it will be easier because you can use the controls from the drivers side while the door panel is off. Most of you won't have dynamat...and you'll be glad you don't.

To replace the regulator, you will need the following tools:
- torx 20 screwdriver
- rachet set with metric sockets (must have 10mm)
- flathead screwdriver
- whatever other tools you use to remove the door panel

Step 1: Lower your window halfway. remove the door panel (there are many threads/websites about this so i will move on to step 2) I prefer to remove the door speaker panel for more working room. Also remove the large plastic piece that covers the rear part of the door.

Step 2: In my case, the cable completely snapped. I used a C-clamp to hold the window in place until the new part arrived.

Locate the window holding hardware:

Using a socket wrench and a 12mm socket (If i remember correctly) slowly loosen the holders then remove the window vertically from the door. Try to avoid scratching it on metal parts as you lift it.

window removed:

Step 3: removal of regulator assembly
First locate the 4 mouting points of the regulator tracks. 2 are on the top of the door and two are on the bottom. These require a 10mm socket and may be rather tight.

The bottom rear:

The bottom front is located on the underside of the door. you will have to remove a small rubber seal to access it.

Next remove the window motor itself using the 10mm socket. The nut/washers are all the same size so mixing them up is not a big deal.

Dont' forget to disconnect the electrical connection:

Ease the entire assembly out of the door hole.

The dead parts.

installation is reverse of removal.

Step 4: When re-installing the window, there should be a mark on the bottom where the old clamps were. Use this to line up you window. Shut the door and raise the window to make sure it lines up. Once you're satisfied, tighten the window clamps and make sure all your mounts are tight. Don't forget the rubber seal for the front bottom mount.

No doubt your window has fingerprints all over it. Windex wipes will solve that problem:

and you're finished.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I am right in the middle of applying Dynamat on my doors. Inside straigth forward and done. Would you mind posing a pic of your door outside with the Dynamat on so I can get some ideas of what might be a better way to do it. It is going to take many smaller pieces. Thought I'd ask since you might have the pic to show it. Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 AM
C5Joe559
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I was just getting estimates, but now I can try and do it myself. Just a quick question, my window no longer rolls up. Is there any way to get it up at least until the new regulator comes in? It's rain season, and it the part may take up to a week.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C5Joe559
Awesome, I was just getting estimates, but now I can try and do it myself. Just a quick question, my window no longer rolls up. Is there any way to get it up at least until the new regulator comes in? It's rain season, and it the part may take up to a week.
Funny you should ask. On mine, I cut the cable pushed the window to the correct position and used 2 C-clamps to hold the window in place on the track. (see pic #1) You'll need 2.5" or smaller clamps.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
pewter2000usa
Advanced

Thanks ,Now comes the hard part
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Blu
Melting Slicks

I made a post a couple months ago, would the window regulator be the problem on my car? My drivers side window is really loose and rattles a bit in certain positions.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-28-2008, 06:22 PM
ZeroHer0
Racer

Originally Posted by Blu
I made a post a couple months ago, would the window regulator be the problem on my car? My drivers side window is really loose and rattles a bit in certain positions.

Thanks,
Matt
Might want to tighten the bolts/pads holding the glass in...that usually helps out a bit.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Blu

Thanks,
Matt
Look in st suspect areas:
- Window clamps
- Regulator track mounting points
- Regulator track adjusting points (especially the one underneath the door behind the small rubber seal (seen below)

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 AM
American Hydrocarbon

I just replaced my driver side regulator using these instructions. This was very easy to do. THANKS!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Pewter1
Pro

Default Where did you purchase your Regulator from?

Who has the best price on the window regulators?
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Pewter1
Ebay. SMT no longer carries them.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by Pewter1
The best price I found is at Mirror Guard Co.
Send them an email at:
mail@regulatorusa.com

They also sent me $50 or my old one.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 AM
FLORIDA
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Good info
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Z0ra6
Instructor

Call me an idiot, but I bought the regulator/motor assembly from a dealership ($$$ I know).

They are telling me that I probably need a new "Window Motor Regulator Harness Connector - part # 88988609" to go with the newer style regulator though. Does this sound right to anyone? I guess this window motor they have is a newer (better) version? They weren't trying to sell me more stuff....because they actually told me another dealership had it in stock and they didn't.

Just wondering if anyone has bought their regulator assembly from the dealership lately and it plugged right in w/o issues.

Window Motor Regulator Harness Connector
GM Part # 88988609
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/GM_...r_p/a21212.htm
Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 AM
DaZ06
Advanced

i had an issue with my passenger side window also but i was able to take it apart and notice that the cables were ripped/cut but the motor still works is there a way that i can just replace the cables and use my same window motor?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Radio Flyer,
How about reloading your pictures in photo bucket they can't be seen.

Last edited by 87bob; 04-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Great post!

Get notified of new replies

To Window Regultor replacment tutorial *pics*

Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer97
For those of you with dying window motors or frayed wiring, getting an entire window regulator assembly is the only option. I had frayed wires AND a dying motor. I was quotes prices upwards of $400 to fix this problem.

After consulting with forum members, I purchased a window regulator assembly from SMP performance for $158 shipped. (special thanks to Shaun Carter for getting the part to me before my clubs cruise this saturday)

Note: This tutorial is for the Driver's side window. If you're doing the passenger side, it will be easier because you can use the controls from the drivers side while the door panel is off. Most of you won't have dynamat...and you'll be glad you don't.

To replace the regulator, you will need the following tools:
- torx 20 screwdriver
- rachet set with metric sockets (must have 10mm)
- flathead screwdriver
- whatever other tools you use to remove the door panel

Step 1: Lower your window halfway. remove the door panel (there are many threads/websites about this so i will move on to step 2) I prefer to remove the door speaker panel for more working room. Also remove the large plastic piece that covers the rear part of the door.

Step 2: In my case, the cable completely snapped. I used a C-clamp to hold the window in place until the new part arrived.

Locate the window holding hardware:

Using a socket wrench and a 12mm socket (If i remember correctly) slowly loosen the holders then remove the window vertically from the door. Try to avoid scratching it on metal parts as you lift it.

window removed:

Step 3: removal of regulator assembly
First locate the 4 mouting points of the regulator tracks. 2 are on the top of the door and two are on the bottom. These require a 10mm socket and may be rather tight.

The bottom rear:

The bottom front is located on the underside of the door. you will have to remove a small rubber seal to access it.

Next remove the window motor itself using the 10mm socket. The nut/washers are all the same size so mixing them up is not a big deal.

Dont' forget to disconnect the electrical connection:

Ease the entire assembly out of the door hole.

The dead parts.

installation is reverse of removal.

Step 4: When re-installing the window, there should be a mark on the bottom where the old clamps were. Use this to line up you window. Shut the door and raise the window to make sure it lines up. Once you're satisfied, tighten the window clamps and make sure all your mounts are tight. Don't forget the rubber seal for the front bottom mount.

No doubt your window has fingerprints all over it. Windex wipes will solve that problem:

and you're finished.
Okay, nice write-up, I am going to use this when mine comes in next week.

"BUT" where in the world are all the pictures?

Can you re-post the pics?

Perhaps they were moved into a folder on you Photobucket and need to be reposted

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
randomus
Instructor

Zip corvettes has the regulator (at least the passenger) for 129. I got mine there and its working great.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:55 PM
kj217
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my pass door window makes a strange sound and drops an inch while traveling down,,
what do i have to replace here?

Quick Reply: Window Regultor replacment tutorial *pics*