C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you torque shock absorber top bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 AM
VinnyVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you torque shock absorber top bolts?

How do you torque (using a torque wrench) the bolts on top of the front and rear shock absorbers without spinning the shock rods? I know a lot of people probably quesstimate this but I dont. I will be installing Bilstein Sport shocks. I don't have the shocks yet so I don't know exactly what the top of the rods look like. I'm assuming it's a Torx or the rod is flat on the opposite sides for your second holding tool. In any case, how do you torque it? Is there a special torque wrench I don't know about? Never done this before! Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Actually its two bolts, a long extension should do it (at least on the rear). They're not like the old type that have the long threaded shaft with a flat section and a nut that spins down several inches.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:29 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont need to torque the old post top shock, ones with two rubber washers and the nut. Just tighten the nut down till the rubber washer is just starting to squish, then go about 5 turns more. kinda in the middle of when it starts to squish and before you totally colapse it .

I think some of the old directions said to tighten till the rubber is slighlty laraget thatn the steel washers. I have put on more shocks thatn i like to adimt,,and the above has never failed. I never use the stamped "lock nut" either. If you tighten it too muxch, you can strip the shaft and make removal a real nightmare. To remove the old shock, grap the shock shaft with a good pair of vise grips ( might have to cut the protective cover ( if you are throwing them away,, this is fine) and hold it while you remove the top nut. a ratchet wrench works great.

Most have a hex at the very top to hold from spinnign if ya want to save the shock. ( usually round off when ya need it most. )
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

if you want to torque it buy a crowsfoot in the correct size
www.harborfreight.com

Get a grip on hard-to-reach fasteners. Crowfoot wrenches work where ordinary wrenches and sockets can't.
Drop forged, heat treated chrome vanadium steel
High polish chrome finish
Clip rail for easy storage
Sizes: 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4"; Weight: 0.8 lbs.

ITEM 94426-0VGA

$8.99

basically an open ended wrench head with a opening behind the head that accepts the size drive you want..
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Bilstein sport shocks have the torx top on the shaft as they say to remove the water reservoir on drivers side to access it from a straight down position.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bilsteins have an internal hex at the top.
Just did them last week.
Tighten to get the rubber to match the OD of the steel washer.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do decide you want to torque them, I'd agree with above, use a crowsfoot wrench. They come in six point or twelve point style...I find any excuse to buy more tools...

Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

If you use the crows foot wrench on the torque wrench, you can not torque to the same value. I can't image that it matters that much for what your doing. I recall reading a post by forum member Connecticut in which he stated that when he was in the military, they had a a correction chart that adjusted the torque value when a crows foot wrench was used on a torque wrench. As I said, in your situation, it probably is not that critical, but for other situations it may be important.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
VinnyVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
If you do decide you want to torque them, I'd agree with above, use a crowsfoot wrench. They come in six point or twelve point style...I find any excuse to buy more tools...

That seems to be the only way to torque the top shock bolts. But yeah, that little extra leverage of the crows foot will throw off the torque wrench's reading. I'll do a search on compensating for the crows foot. If I don't like what I find, I'll just do it using the naturally calibrated eye ball(s). Thx for the ideas
Old 10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyVette
That seems to be the only way to torque the top shock bolts. But yeah, that little extra leverage of the crows foot will throw off the torque wrench's reading. I'll do a search on compensating for the crows foot. If I don't like what I find, I'll just do it using the naturally calibrated eye ball(s). Thx for the ideas
Very good point. And yes, years ago I had the chart that guided us on the torque compensation for Crows Feet, but I am old now and can't remember it. That is why we created the Internet!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:32 AM
VinnyVette
Instructor

Here's a link on how to adjust your Torque settings accordingly when using a supplemental Crows Foot to torque a particular application. This aint anything new. I just wanted to reiterate.

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_1.htm

I also read that if you put the crows foot at a 90 degree angle on the torque wrench, it will not affect the torque wrench whatsoever. I don't really buy that idea.

Last edited by VinnyVette; 10-05-2007 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:27 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Vinny's got the info on tq

SnapOn makes the socket for removing the stockers, i think it's an XD16? fits the stock shock shaft w/out using visegrips
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnyVette
I also read that if you put the crows foot at a 90 degree angle on the torque wrench, it will not affect the torque wrench whatsoever. I don't really buy that idea.
You found the correct stuff although they go about it in a complicated way. If the extension is at a 90 degree angle to the wrench it does not add any "length" to the wrench and therefore does not change the setting. An easier way to do it is to measure your torque wrench and figure out the percentage of difference in length. Then simply add that percentage to the torque adjustment.

For a simplified example, if your wrench is 10 inches and you add 1 inch, you are adding 10%. so your 100 lb setting will actually be 110 lbs. If the crows foot is offset on an angle, you only add the amount that it offsets the length. So a 45 degree angle will add about half of the actual length of the crows foot.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM
VinnyVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by robvuk
You found the correct stuff although they go about it in a complicated way. If the extension is at a 90 degree angle to the wrench it does not add any "length" to the wrench and therefore does not change the setting.
That's correct. Since the crows foot is at a 90 degree angle, there is no added length. But, I'm thinking the pivot point of the torque wrench has changed which may affect the accuracy of the torque wrench. It's just a hypothesis that I haven't tested yet. Maybe someone has already tested this hypothesis and has an answer.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you torque shock absorber top bolts?

Quick Reply: How do you torque shock absorber top bolts?