C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch probs in 01 z

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 09:42 AM
jt93
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch probs in 01 z

seems like sometimes my clutch is grabbing right at the bottom of its travel. especially if i am running thru the gears hard. anyone else have probs like that? guess i'll try to get it into the dealer today .....
Old 11-12-2001, 10:06 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (jt93)

I'm glad someone with a Z06 finally reported this problem. I have a 2000 with this issue. After a good hard run the clutch pedal feels "sticky" almost like it's not coming back off the floor. The problem quickly goes away once I start normal driving.

Well I was told that the Z06 Clutch and slave will solve the problem. Looks like it wont :cuss

Good thing I did not go through all that. Then I hear it's the resriction in the hydraulic line. Sounds more and more like that is the problem. Or the damn throwout bearing is binding on the spline...
Old 11-12-2001, 10:59 AM
Steve Row
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (chuckster)

I have begun to have this problem, too.

At the track or on the street, if I run thru the gears, the next time I push in the clutch pedal, it feels hard or like it is binding. I doesn't matter if I push it in right after I let off the gas or if I just drive for a mile of two. When I let the clutch come up, it feels like it does not come up as far as normal before there is free play. At least once I had to pull it up the rest of the way. After one "push and release", it is back to normal.

I don't know if it is related but 4th gear has ground a few times later when I powershift it. And yesterday I missed 2nd gear. First time that has happened.

Last week, in an attempt to fix this problem, I had the clutch hydraulic system bled and flushed with Super Blue, Dot 4, brake fluid.

This is a 2001 clutch with 2001 master and 2001 slave installed last February. It has worked well until recently.

I would like to hear any wild ideas, speculation, whatever as to the problem and a possible solution.
Old 11-12-2001, 11:36 AM
jt93
Instructor

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (Steve Row)

well damn. i was hoping someone would say.
'yea, had that prob, took it to the dealer, they did xxx and fixed it.'

i think i'll take it in this week and see what they have to say about it
Old 11-12-2001, 11:47 AM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE]I have begun to have this problem, too.

Steve, did this happen after Etown this past sat?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:53 AM
ZO6LS6
Drifting

Steve has hit the jackpot..........this will more than likely be the "FIX"...........
RANGER, HAD THE SAME ISSUE/S, AND HAD HIS BLED, AND CHANGED..........AFTER A FEW RUNS, AND DRIVING NORMALLY..........ALL'S BACK TO NORMAL..
LOOK AT THE FLUID IN THE HYD RESEVIOUR.......If it is dark colored, and has black goop particles in it........suction it out, and replace, do this several times, and /or do what Steve has done.......
Contrary to GM saying it doesn't wear out, it does.............by overheating, and collecting moisture........they will do NOTHING about it, you will have to. :boxing
Old 11-13-2001, 03:23 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (ZO6LS6)

My stock ZO6 clutch stinks. I'm on my second one and I needed to pull the pedal off the floor between shifts to get it back up. I blew out third gear because the damn thing never dissengaged when I powershifted. From what I understand, even beyond popular belief, there isn't a fool proof clutch out there for the C-5s.
Old 11-14-2001, 05:41 PM
chuckster
Race Director

I need to bring this to the top again.
As far as the fluid change. I had my master replaced with new fluid and it still does the same thing. I too noticed the black goop foating on the top.
Well my fluid is perfectly clean no and I still have a binding pedal.
Is it possible the old fluid is still down in the slave???
How do you totally clear out the fluid?

Also is it the same as Brake Fluid? WOuld it be better to use Dot 5.1 or Synthetic?
Old 11-14-2001, 10:01 PM
BLISS
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (chuckster)

I had the same problem, which affected my e/t's a big - now a Cartek clutch is replacing this Z06 one ... some people upgrade to Z06, from base model clutch - I say "why bother" ? :confused: - Just buy a real clutch with adjustable slave/master cylinders - and it should be fine. My $.02
Old 11-14-2001, 10:51 PM
Jason Smith
Advanced

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (z06bliss)

Guys,
I have been seeing a few Z06 pressure plates come loose causing a loss of the clutch pedal. The pressure plate doen't fall off, but it does come loose enough to cause excessive clearence between the flywheel and the pressure plate. Properly torque the 13mm head bolts down and the problem will be eliminated. :chevy
Old 11-15-2001, 12:03 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (Jason Smith)

This problem is not pressure plate related. I'd bet a years salary that it is in the Slave/Throwout area. It's like it is BINDING on the shaft..
Old 11-15-2001, 12:22 AM
ZO6LS6
Drifting

Default Re: clutch probs in 01 z (z06bliss)

MTI, suggests going with the '02 Z06 clutch assy.........over the cartek, for light /medium duty apps......read this on a post by a dude getting his modded by them..........said cartek is overkill for his mod's......if i remember, he was going for 400 RWHP...........
Old 11-15-2001, 09:16 AM
av8or3
Burning Brakes

I believe it's heat related.I too have experienced the same problems you folks have reported.I've bled the system and replaced the fluid once.I'm working on ways to shield the hydralic line and the bell housing from the heat
of the exhaust.I've observed that once the problems begins I can drive the car
at speed (70 mph) for about 20 minutes and the pedal returns to normal.I
believe this is due to the increased air flow under the car and over the clutch.
Believe me,if I stumble on a sure-fire fix for this I'll spread the word. :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To clutch probs in 01 z

Quick Reply: clutch probs in 01 z