C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 to 4th shift?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 PM
vettekidc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1 to 4th shift?

I hate this feature. Ive seen the elimination harness, Is this ok to run, Because I often drive too slow to put it into 4th, IE coming out of my neighborhood.

Ok to use it?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not gonna hurt a thing good to go, or find someone that has tuner software to turn off the CAGS (controlled automatic gear shift)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jirasvet
not gonna hurt a thing good to go, or find someone that has tuner software to turn off the CAGS (controlled automatic gear shift)
Actually it is "Computer Aided Gear Selection".
Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Buy the CAGS bypass device.

If you are in York, I will put it in for you.

You can do it yourself.

It takes longer to jack up the car, than to install the part to get rid of this annoyance forever.

Dave
Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WWK888
Actually it is "Computer Aided Gear Selection".
Hey thanks! couldn't remember the correct acronym used what sounded close,god I feel dumb

Just did not want to leave him hanging with cags

Last edited by jirasvet; 08-30-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by vettekidc5
Ok to use it?
Absolutely -- one of the very first things I put on my '04. All you are doing is disconnecting the solenoid that blocks the shift rail from going into 2 or 3 from the car's computer. The other end of the CAGS eliminator plugs into the harness to fool the computer into thinking the solenoid is still connected. I never bothered to have the dash light tuned out -- everytime I see it it reminds me that I was smart to put the CAGS eliminator in!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:52 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default for the life of me....

I never really understood all the complaining about this....I bought an 02 and thought, Oh man, gonna have to buy this eliminator thing cause this sounds way too much like a majoy pain in the butt. Since I have driven and owned mine, I for the life of me don't understand what all the fuss is about. Whenever I see this light, I just give it just a little bit more and the light goes off, and I shift....no problem at all. Goes right into 2nd every time. And when I say just a little bit more...thats all I do....see the light come on....like 1 second more on the throttle, light goes out....shift.

just my 02 lol
Old 08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
I never really understood all the complaining about this....I bought an 02 and thought, Oh man, gonna have to buy this eliminator thing cause this sounds way too much like a majoy pain in the butt. Since I have driven and owned mine, I for the life of me don't understand what all the fuss is about. Whenever I see this light, I just give it just a little bit more and the light goes off, and I shift....no problem at all. Goes right into 2nd every time. And when I say just a little bit more...thats all I do....see the light come on....like 1 second more on the throttle, light goes out....shift.

just my 02 lol

dont have much traffic where you live?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:11 PM
raserguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a CAGS bypass and a B&M shifter at the same time without realizing that installing the B&M eliminated the 1st to 4th b.s. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you, if you havn't already bougt one.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:58 PM
LLVETTE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XtremeVette

just my 02 lol
maybe I drive a little more aggressively than most. I like the revs higher when I shift, have only had it activate once, more gas and gone. I don't have much traffic in the boonies where I live, but I've driven through LA rush hour on several occasions and never saw it activate.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by raserguy
I bought a CAGS bypass and a B&M shifter at the same time without realizing that installing the B&M eliminated the 1st to 4th b.s. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you, if you havn't already bougt one.
Uhhh ... a shifter doesn't affect CAGS .... it is a function of the gearbox ... not the shifter. When CAGS engages it locks out the i to 2 shift by physically blocking that change within the gearbox.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
speedsk899
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

I had mine turned off by my tuner and my light doesn't even turn on anymore.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
raserguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Uhhh ... a shifter doesn't affect CAGS .... it is a function of the gearbox ... not the shifter. When CAGS engages it locks out the i to 2 shift by physically blocking that change within the gearbox.
I think it physiically blocks it at the shifter. When I removed the old shifter there was a piece (like a pin) that seemed to be used to block the shifters movement. It wasn't used in the instalation of the B&M and I thought that was the reason I didn't notice the 1st to 4th (because CAGS was disabled). I could be wrong, I just installed the shifter and have only driven the car once since then. I'll have to take it out tonight to see.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
sliebl
Racer

I think it physiically blocks it at the shifter. When I removed the old shifter there was a piece (like a pin) that seemed to be used to block the shifters movement. It wasn't used in the instalation of the B&M and I thought that was the reason I didn't notice the 1st to 4th (because CAGS was disabled). I could be wrong, I just installed the shifter and have only driven the car once since then. I'll have to take it out tonight to see.
You are incorrect. That pin has nothing do do with the CAGS circuitry. The previous poster is correct that the solenoid is in the gearbox, not the shifter. I have a B&M in mine as well, by the way.
Don't sell your CAGS emliminator yet. You're going to need it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM
raserguy
Intermediate

Just took my car for a ride - no light, no forced 1st to 4th at any rpm. Not trying to be a wise a**, just that it worked before I put the shifter in and does not work now.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Just took my car for a ride - no light, no forced 1st to 4th at any rpm. Not trying to be a wise a**, just that it worked before I put the shifter in and does not work now.
The CAGS only comes on under certain circumstances ...

The engine temp is over 169 degrees
You are going 15 to 19 MPH

AND

you are at 21 percent throttle OR LESS

CAGS still works ... trust me ... you didn't disable it by changing shifters. The solenoid that the "CAGS defeat" controls is located in the GEARBOX ... not in the shift linkage.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
raserguy
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, , sorry vettekid, I guess I'll be keeping by CAGS bypass after all.

Get notified of new replies

To 1 to 4th shift?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

That pin you were referring to is what you use to properly center the shifter before you tighten the linkage.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Hated the CAGS. Disabled it with my Predator. No CAGS or light.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
lakedude
Intermediate

CAGS is worse than annoying, it is dangerous IMHO. Nearly got in several wrecks with the ole 1996 C4 before I learned of the bypass trick. My 2000 C5 had CAGS disabled before it ever left the dealer's lot.

Quick Reply: 1 to 4th shift?