C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam and brass gears worked!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seafoam and brass gears worked!!!!

In the previous thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1791429

I had been having some issues with code P0327. Replaced both sensors and wiring harness and still get the code. Several mentioned that I might want to try the seafoam to clean things up which may clear the codes. Let it sit for 12 hours started car and began to smoke out the neighborhood but the end result is 2 days without throwing any codes.

The headlights have been giving me problems without end. Bought two new solid brass gears installed and so far a full day without any problems, that is almost a record. If I can go 7 days without headlight issues that will be a record

Thanks for the help everyone.
Allen
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woulda been less work to pick up a C6

I'm glad this worked for you!
Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

Not too sure about that, still have to convince Margaret that I can get a new corvette before she gets a new truck.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
AColbe01
Racer

I've only read it in one other post about the tangs that hold the actual motor to the assembly being loose, allowing the worm drive gear to move away from the driven gear and leading to a premature wearing out of the brass gears you just replaced.

I'm still at the legal pad stage of ordering parts and listing what needs doing to mine. Can of Seafoam already rolling around in the rear center compartment, waiting to do when oil needs changing. Actually, my gut is saying I probably need to get a second bottle.

Andy

PS. Found the site that tells about the motor tangs: www bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm?merchant_return_link=Return+to +Merchant

Last edited by AColbe01; 08-27-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

Default spoke too soon

Lights are working and I tapped on the tabs too, thank you.

Stupid engine light came on again. I will be pulling the intake again, replacing the sensors and use thread sealant to see if that will fix it.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:41 PM
mikensonya
Cruising

I am about to replace my headlight gears with brass ones, OK I attemted it once (after dropping the wrench into the cowlings a few times and shredding my knuckles, I stopped) but my question is to get the motor out, do you have to take the whole headlight assembly out or should it just pop off? When I got the bolts out it wouldn't come out, and I didn't want to use excessive force so I put it back together.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, my driver headlight opens fine, but won't shut off when I turn the lights off. So I figure I'll just replace both sides with the brass gears.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikensonya
I am about to replace my headlight gears with brass ones, OK I attemted it once (after dropping the wrench into the cowlings a few times and shredding my knuckles, I stopped) but my question is to get the motor out, do you have to take the whole headlight assembly out or should it just pop off? When I got the bolts out it wouldn't come out, and I didn't want to use excessive force so I put it back together.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, my driver headlight opens fine, but won't shut off when I turn the lights off. So I figure I'll just replace both sides with the brass gears.
It's shouldn't be hard to get the motor out with the light still in place. It is a far easier to remove the motor with the light out though. Either way, excessive force probably means you have missed a fastener somewhere. Did you remove the inner and outer fasteners?

It's been a while since I've messed with the headlight motors and I'm sure Allen can offer more insight because he does this sort of thing regularly but I seem to remember 2 or 3 fasteners on the "inside" under the light itself that were very difficult to get to.

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam and brass gears worked!!!!

Quick Reply: Seafoam and brass gears worked!!!!