C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam install and rwhp #'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:52 PM
bALdWooKiE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam install and rwhp #'s

After determining which route to go on a H/C combination I broke down and bought this setup:
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2 Heads
LS6 243 Casting
5 axis CNC machined
220cc Intake Runner
Intake Flow Rate 305 CFM
Exhaust Flow Rate 235 CFM
2.000 intake valves / 1.550 exhaust valves
GM Valve Seals, Retainers, and Locks
Dual valve springs good to ~ .645 lift

Texas Speed Magic Stick (MS3)
237/242,.603"/.609", 112 Lsa
Texas Speed Chromemoly 7.40" Pushrods
All New GM Head Gaskets,Head Bolts,Timing Cover Gasket,Water Pump Gasket,Front Crankshaft Seal,Balancer Pulley Bolt
Hypertech 160 deg thermostat
2 Oil Filters and 16 qts of Mobil 1

This is going on a brand new LS6 motor with 872 mi. so the few questions that I have....

From this list is there anything else that you would recommend me purchasing before we do the install?

With just B&B Bullets and a Halltech Intake what numbers do you think roughly I would put down with this setup?

As soon as I can figure out what tuner im gonna go with I will let you know the numbers that it put down and see who was close

Last edited by bALdWooKiE; 08-23-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 AM
bALdWooKiE
Advanced

Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 AM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

How about some Longtube headers and a good intake to go with it. Also I'd put an underdrive pulley on while it's apart. I wish I would have gone with a bigger cam like the MS3.... Anyway with the headers and intake with h/c I'd say 440 to the wheels. Add a fast 90 ls2 tb and some bigger injectors and maybe 470ish...
Old 08-24-2007, 07:51 AM
kilrb
Pro

Originally Posted by BADMFR
How about some Longtube headers and a good intake to go with it. Also I'd put an underdrive pulley on while it's apart. I wish I would have gone with a bigger cam like the MS3.... Anyway with the headers and intake with h/c I'd say 440 to the wheels. Add a fast 90 ls2 tb and some bigger injectors and maybe 470ish...

Don't even think about running the MS3 through stock exhaust manifolds... You are talking about 15.5 degrees of overlap on that cam, and stock manifolds start going to crap when you get more than -4 degrees of overlap.

The MS3 with those heads should very easily hit 440, like BADMFR said. I'm sure you can find a very similar setup with dyno #'s over on LS1tech.com; there are tons of guys with the MS3 over there.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Longtubes w/ high-flow cats for sure. Most all the major brands come w/ everything from the engine back to the catback: Headers, catted section w/ x-pipe, mid-pipes).

While you're in there you may want to look into a ported oil pump, all though the stock one should be just fine. Also get an underdrive pulley and look into pinning the crank so it can never ever back off.

I'm running an ATI super damper 10% underdrive. Motor is very very smoothe.

ATI vs. stocker:

Crank snout machined for dowl pin:

ATI comes w/ keyway, once pinned it cannot rotate on crank:
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
bALdWooKiE
Advanced

So the longtubes are a definate?? I was hoping I could wait so I could get the longtubes that I want but it was not in my budget when I went with this setup. AR Headers are running what...$1500.00+? I still have a lil money left to do the pulley upgrade and a ported oil pump. How much was the 10% Underdrive pulley?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The Super damper is $440... it's expensive, but it's the best at doing what it's supposed to... dampening crank vibrations. I spent the extra coin as I run track events w/ my car.

I wouldn't do the cam and tuning w/o the headers because you'll need to re-tune when you get them.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:47 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bALdWooKiE
So the longtubes are a definate?? I was hoping I could wait so I could get the longtubes that I want but it was not in my budget when I went with this setup. AR Headers are running what...$1500.00+? I still have a lil money left to do the pulley upgrade and a ported oil pump. How much was the 10% Underdrive pulley?
pulley is liek 200-250. Look on the parts section for headers. I got my TPIS headers and off road X used for 600 bucks. Its just pipe, buy used save yourself way more money
Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
The Super damper is $440... it's expensive, but it's the best at doing what it's supposed to... dampening crank vibrations. I spent the extra coin as I run track events w/ my car.

I wouldn't do the cam and tuning w/o the headers because you'll need to re-tune when you get them.
damn thats alot for a pulley
Old 08-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Yes... but when you start researching what they do, and how they do it, you'll see that it's well worth it for a car that sees track time.

ATI coulndn't achieve their dampening requirements w/ anything nire than a 10% underdrive.

The ATI and March Fuildamper are the 2 best at doing what they're supposed to do.... dampen the crank. The ATI super damper is used almost exclusively in NASCAR.

Yes, you can get cheap headers, but you get what you pay for... I agree on buying used, but I'd be looking for some Kooks, ARs, or LGs. Personally I have Kooks.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

^ Yes... but when you start researching what they do, and how they do it, you'll see that it's well worth it for a car that sees track time.

ATI coulndn't achieve their dampening requirements w/ anything nire than a 10% underdrive.

The ATI and March Fuildamper are the 2 best at doing what they're supposed to do.... dampen the crank. The ATI super damper is used almost exclusively in NASCAR.

Yes, you can get cheap headers, but you get what you pay for... I agree on buying used, but I'd be looking for some Kooks, ARs, or LGs. Personally I have Kooks.
whats your reasoning behind what headers are better? Other than LG's can destroy the earth with amazing power
Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 02gt350
whats your reasoning behind what headers are better? Other than LG's can destroy the earth with amazing power
Those other 3 brands have been prooven to make more power... they have better primary/collector design.

Yes LGs could destroy the earth, they should be used very carefully.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:01 PM
thesaad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my Kooks with HF cats shipped for $1540.

I am very happy with the fitment of the Kooks, and although they were a pain to install, I would recommend them!

I would put them in now for sure. It was not a fun install, and the motor has to come up a bit. Better to do it all at once! You will be glad you did.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
kilrb
Pro

I believe there was a thread started by a guy on this forum who put an MS3 or some other big cam on his Z06. He couldn't understand why it ran a slower time at the drag strip than it did stock. Turned out, he didn't have longtubes, which just rendered that big cam pointless. Hell, My 224/224 on a 112 is too big to run through stock exhaust manifolds.

Check out LG's Street Series headers. With cats, they run $1,100 (or did when I bought them a few months back).
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
bALdWooKiE
Advanced

I am truely convincednow that I need to wait and buy longtubes before I do the install. Which do you guys prefer...1 3/4 or 1 7/8? Is there really going to be much hp difference? I am leaning more towards the kooks but I will definately check into the LG's.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am truely convincednow that I need to wait and buy longtubes before I do the install. Which do you guys prefer...1 3/4 or 1 7/8? Is there really going to be much hp difference? I am leaning more towards the kooks but I will definately check into the LG's.
Do you want down low Torque or High end HP? Down low torque, which means off the line, go with 1 3/4, if you want high end HP which might suffer low end off the line torque go with 1 7/8s
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I got TSP LT headers for $425 shipped when they had the group purchase, I am sure they can hook you up from buying all that stuff from them, just call them.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads/Cam install and rwhp #'s

Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

No need for 1 7/8ths on a 346 car... stay w/ 1 3/4ths.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 AM
kilrb
Pro

No need for 1 7/8ths on a 346 car... stay w/ 1 3/4ths.

After researching the crap out of this subject, this is the answer the knowledgeable people consistantly give.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM
NightmareZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by kilrb
I believe there was a thread started by a guy on this forum who put an MS3 or some other big cam on his Z06. He couldn't understand why it ran a slower time at the drag strip than it did stock. Turned out, he didn't have longtubes, which just rendered that big cam pointless. Hell, My 224/224 on a 112 is too big to run through stock exhaust manifolds.

Check out LG's Street Series headers. With cats, they run $1,100 (or did when I bought them a few months back).
I'm that guy that started a thread about a "powerless" Camshaft....My suggestion for you(having been through this), get the longtubes!!!Don't bother with all the other time and work untill you can afford or want to do the longtubes. You will be dissappointed and as said before, you will have to have it re-tuned and that can be a real pain in itself with a cam like that,so doing it twice may not be fun or very cheap for that matter...I have the MS4 cam so its slighty bigger,but i went with the LG LT Pros ( 1 3/4") and was very satisfied...The fit and finish is excellent and these headers help with the low end torque that you will loose with that cam. ....My only other suggestion for you is, while you have it everything apart, i would put either an LS2 chain or double roller timing chain in. Thats the tme to do it because you have to do all that work again later if you decide not to. I heard that the factory chain is weak especially when you start doing work like your doing or more. Thats the one thing that I did not do and am Regretting. Just one more thing for the winter time I guess!!!Just my opinions, Good luck and I hope any of this helps!!!

PS. I dynoed 420RWHP on a mild tune with basically just the MS4(pretty close to yours) and the LT's....check Sig Also, I would suggest(which a lot of people/tuners think is Foolish) sending your computer to texas-speed for the tune..The tned my idle aazing and other then for a few fine touches, the tune was excellent for not having the car on a dyno..They know what they're doing.Give Jason or Jon a call if you have ANY Questions!!

Last edited by NightmareZ06; 08-25-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam install and rwhp #'s