C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge drops to empty when 1/3 full ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Jason Squires
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge drops to empty when 1/3 full ?

My 2001 Coupe runs well but twice last summer the fuel gauge needle dropped to empty and the low fuel warning message flashed. The tank was at least 1/3 full both times this happened.

I stopped the car, turned off the engine. When re-started, the same message and the fuel gauge needle pointed to empty. I filled the tank at the nearest gas station and all was well.

Any ideas as to the cause ? What should I have checked ?

Thank you much for any help !
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Squires
My 2001 Coupe runs well but twice last summer the fuel gauge needle dropped to empty and the low fuel warning message flashed. The tank was at least 1/3 full both times this happened.

I stopped the car, turned off the engine. When re-started, the same message and the fuel gauge needle pointed to empty. I filled the tank at the nearest gas station and all was well.

Any ideas as to the cause ? What should I have checked ?

Thank you much for any help !
Common problem with the C5; has to do with the float or sender unit (not exactly sure). Go to Wal-Mart or a local auto parts store (O'Rileys, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc) and buy some Chevron Techron, put that in the tank and that should eventually take care of it. Seems to come from sulfur in the gas which fouls the float/sensor. BP/AMOCO has Techron in their gas and that will help too. You might want to be sure that you use only Tier 1 gas as most think that makes a difference. I put a bottle of Techron in my 97 about every other tank and haven't had a problem in 2 years with the issue you are having.

Last edited by Slider-01; 04-25-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Jason Squires
Advanced

Thank you very much G-Loc. Will do as you suggest - it can't hurt.

Safe Driving !!
Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
LTD
Racer

Originally Posted by G-Loc
Common problem with the C5; has to do with the float or sender unit (not exactly sure). Go to Wal-Mart or a local auto parts store (O'Rileys, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc) and buy some Chevron Techron, put that in the tank and that should eventually take care of it. Seems to come from sulfur in the gas which fouls the float/sensor. BP/AMOCO has Techron in their gas and that will help too. You might want to be sure that you use only Tier 1 gas as most think that makes a difference. I put a bottle of Techron in my 97 about every other tank and haven't had a problem in 2 years with the issue you are having.
great tip. this happens to me too, but infrequently and when closer to empty than 1/3, but it sounds like the same problem.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
dancin1
Instructor

Default Fuel sender

I had the same problem on my '98 coupe. I drove the tank to as empty as I could safely then poured 2 bottles of the Techron in the tank and left it overnight, then filled up the next day and two applications of that and the problem went away and has stayed away for awhile now. Advance auto parts had a buy one get one free on the Techron, I think it's still going on. The responders above are right it's the sulfur buildup on the sender unit that's the cause and they are terribly expensve to replace at the dealership.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
3rdvette@60
Advanced

I found that filling with chevron or shell gasoline solved the problem with one fill up.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge drops to empty when 1/3 full ?

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge drops to empty when 1/3 full ?