C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tri Power Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Tri Power Brake Calipers

I just installed SSBC Force 10 TriPower calipers and they feel a little spongy to me. I bolted them on, bled them, pumped the brake pedal a bunch and bled them again. When I took the car out for a drive the pedal doesn't seem as firm and it seems like it engages farther down. The car stops well though. Besides waiting till tomorrow and bleeding them again now that it's been driven, am I missing anything???
Rudyarias, where are you?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Lone_sword
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure they don't require a stronger master cylinder or somthing like that. You might want to take it in and have them pressure bleed the brakes and use all new fluid. I am interested in the same kit because its pretty cheap. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

OK, rebled the Tri-Powers this morning after checking with SSBC to make sure I didn't need a larger master cylinder. Problem solved!! Man, do these calipers make a difference.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SSBC Calipers

I too installed a set of these front calipers along with stainless brake lines on all four corners about 7 months ago. Used a Motiv pressure bleeder and pushed a fair amount of fresh fluid through the unit well after all air bubbles were purged. The pedal feel is firmer than stock and the calipers made a significant improvement in much greater force/torque against the rotors as demonstrated by needing less pedal force. In fact it took a short while to re-learn to brake a bit later in moderate stops because I tended to stop the car too soon. Also, several weeks later I changed out a set of Satisfied GS5 pads for a set of Carbotechs XP8s which have great bite and made a good combination with the calipers.

I have observed that the calipers do allow the brake pads to rest against the rotor a bit more over the stock calipers when you spin the wheel by hand. Doesn't seem to negatively cause any heat generation but instead potentially helps in shortening the travel of the pads and the brake pedal (subjective opinion only).

Overall, this was a very good upgrade for my needs as I had no interest in changing wheels to provide clearance required for other big brake kits. Great performance for the money. Trust this info will be useful for those considering the upgrade.

A1
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aprilia1
I too installed a set of these front calipers along with stainless brake lines on all four corners about 7 months ago. Used a Motiv pressure bleeder and pushed a fair amount of fresh fluid through the unit well after all air bubbles were purged. The pedal feel is firmer than stock and the calipers made a significant improvement in much greater force/torque against the rotors as demonstrated by needing less pedal force. In fact it took a short while to re-learn to brake a bit later in moderate stops because I tended to stop the car too soon. Also, several weeks later I changed out a set of Satisfied GS5 pads for a set of Carbotechs XP8s which have great bite and made a good combination with the calipers.

I have observed that the calipers do allow the brake pads to rest against the rotor a bit more over the stock calipers when you spin the wheel by hand. Doesn't seem to negatively cause any heat generation but instead potentially helps in shortening the travel of the pads and the brake pedal (subjective opinion only).

Overall, this was a very good upgrade for my needs as I had no interest in changing wheels to provide clearance required for other big brake kits. Great performance for the money. Trust this info will be useful for those considering the upgrade.

A1
I'm using the Carbotech 10s in front on my track car and the Tri Power calipers with the 10's are going to make an ideal HPDE setup.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

They have 30% more piston area then the stock calipers and while they may feel better, your brake bias is screwed and you are accually not breaking as well as you were.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFever
They have 30% more piston area then the stock calipers and while they may feel better, your brake bias is screwed and you are accually not breaking as well as you were.
After several stops from 90 to 20, I can tell you that they are definetly stopping the car better than the stock system..
Old 07-29-2007, 03:47 AM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Last C5
After several stops from 90 to 20, I can tell you that they are definetly stopping the car better than the stock system..
Like I said, that is how they will feel, but do some measurements and it will not be as good as a properly working stock system. The stock system will cause loss of tire grip, so unless you have stickier tires you can't take advantage of better brakes anyway.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Aprilia1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SSBC Calipers

Like I said, that is how they will feel, but do some measurements and it will not be as good as a properly working stock system. The stock system will cause loss of tire grip, so unless you have stickier tires you can't take advantage of better brakes anyway.
What measurements; stopping distance, pedal pressure, point of wheel lock up? Yes, you are very correct with braking efficiency strongly dependent upon tire adhesion. However, you are ignoring greater efficiency in the hydraulic brake system due to a more rigid caliper with three pistons pressing more evenly across the face of the brake pad backing plate. Installing stainless brake lines adds to that rigidity in the overall hydraulic system.

Additionally, your assertion that the brake bias is "screwed" implies that somehow these calipers affect the bias spring in the master cylinder. No, it is still dependent upon hydraulic pressure which will continue to be applied at the same rate regardless of the "30% more piston area" which is covered by guess what, additional fluid only. More aggressive pads in the front also cause a greater amount of grip on the rotor but nonetheless don't alter brake bias either.

Bottom line is these like other caliper upgrades are more efficient in applying pressure to the rotor. If not, why doesn't everyone use stock calipers/brake lines on race prepared vehicles if there is no improvement? Because there is a very detectable improvement in brake modulation and response over stock systems which give the driver a more precise tool to slow the vehicle.

A1
Old 07-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

" Because there is a very detectable improvement in brake modulation and response over stock systems which give the driver a more precise tool to slow the vehicle."

The improvement in modulation and response was the first thing I noticed with the SSBC calipers. They are installed on my track car, an 01 Z06, and I am very used to taking it to the edge of the
ABS as I hit the shut down markers. That edge has now been moved at least a half a marker. If I feel that any disparity in the efficiency of the front and rear has been increased to the point its affecting the braking, I'll go with some C6 Z51 rear brackets and rotors. So far, I don't think that's the case.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aprilia1

Bottom line is these like other caliper upgrades are more efficient in applying pressure to the rotor. If not, why doesn't everyone use stock calipers/brake lines on race prepared vehicles if there is no improvement? Because there is a very detectable improvement in brake modulation and response over stock systems which give the driver a more precise tool to slow the vehicle.

A1
Tons of guys use OEM calipers on their race cars(unless they have a large budget, or in T1). They work great and there are many improvements out there for them. The reason to upgrade to other calipersis if you are going to a non floating caliper with 4 or 6 pistons to evenly distribute the pad wear(not for "greater efficiency"), while maintaing equal piston volume, none of which the SSBC does. You think if just putting larger pistons in the calipers worked the big name big brake companies would go to such lengths to keep the volume the SAME?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Last C5
The improvement in modulation and response was the first thing I noticed with the SSBC calipers.
I suspect the only variable was the caliper? Using the same pads, rotors and SS lines as OEM? And the OEM caliper was not worn out?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

I suspect the only variable was the caliper? Using the same pads, rotors and SS lines as OEM? And the OEM caliper was not worn out?
Changing the calipers was the only variable. I use Carbotech 10 pads and they still had 9/32nds on them and the NAPA rotors looked good so I just changed the calipers. I already had SS lines and ATE Blue fluid before the change and I typically bleed the system before every HPDE anyway. The OEM calipers were in good shape and had been rebuilt at the beginning of the season with Doug Rippie stainless pistons added. I wasn't having any problems on the track, I just wanted a little more stop coming off the long straights. These calipers seem to be giving me that.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Racer--X
Cruising

I too have these calipers on my GTO. They Work very well. The GTO weights about 800LBS more than your Vette. (3950) However I did notice a bit more pedal traval. I chalked that up to greater pison area which needs more fluid to move the same amount as the stock ones. With R comound tires and stock calipers I could not activate the ABS. Now with the SSBC calipers I can, but just. Same coumpound pad and tires were used, the only difference were the calipers. For not much more than the cost of stock, these SSBC calipers rock!

Get notified of new replies

To Tri Power Brake Calipers

Quick Reply: Tri Power Brake Calipers