C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam....Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Misho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seafoam....Yes or No?

Just as the title states....should I use Seafoam? My 02 has 60k and has never had seafoam run through it. What are the benefits? What are the possible problems that may arise?

As always, thanks in advance for your input!

Mike
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 AM
RoccoC5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I, too, was considering seafoam for my '00 w/ 62K. I know it consumes oil (about a quart every oil change), so I wonder if there's probably carbon build-up... I guess it couldn't hurt to run some seafoam through it, right?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's what the maker of Sea Foam claims it should be used for and what it does ....

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I believe it also has been used to clear up acne problems, and for curing Erectile Dysfunction issues .....

Honestly, I personally find a claim that a single product does so many things in so many different parts of the engine somewhat hard to believe. Especially when you see things like ...

With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line

Yeah ... right ... you put this stuff in through the brake booster line you think it's gonna get to all cylinders ??? ... not an effing chance ....
Old 07-09-2007, 05:16 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

good stuff
Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 AM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Here's what the maker of Sea Foam claims it should be used for and what it does ....

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I believe it also has been used to clear up acne problems, and for curing Erectile Dysfunction issues .....

Honestly, I personally find a claim that a single product does so many things in so many different parts of the engine somewhat hard to believe. Especially when you see things like ...

With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line

Yeah ... right ... you put this stuff in through the brake booster line you think it's gonna get to all cylinders ??? ... not an effing chance ....

Yes it works, yes it gets to all cylinders. Just keep the rpms at over 2000 rpms and suck it in with a vacuum hose.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

NO. Go out and drive your car at WOT with a tank of 93 or 91 octane

best way to clean the carbon is to drive you car hard.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
qwkz06
Racer

It works great. I have used it on all of my outboards, jet skis, trucks and cars. It made my 200,000 plus mile F150 run much much better. No more pinging and idled smoother.
Read up on the floridasportsman.com web site, thehulltruth.com or any other site like that for additional information as it relates to marine use. That is where I first heard of it. Of course, 2 and 4 cycle outboards are different than our cars but it works all the same. Generally people who down play its effectiveness simply don't believe in any fuel additives and claim they are all snake oils without a real basis. Sure there are better results on some motors than others depending on the prior use and condition of the motor but the fact is the stuff works and similar products are recommended by many OEMs.
There is no doubt whatsoever that carbon buildup on the ring landings of outboards is what causes premature wear. Why do you think Yamaha recommends Ringfree fuel additive in all their motors at every fill up and Mercury has the same recommendations.
My Vette only has 10K on it and I have brand new heads so I have not used it yet but when the mileage gets up there I will. I have used it on my Lexus LS430, my pick up truck, my wifes 350Z, all 5 of my boats and both the jetskis. It works and I have seen no adverse affects.
In my pick up I sprayed the Seafoam Deep Creep into the throttle body and sucked a can in through the brake booster vacume line. Do a search and you will find far far more believers than disbelievers.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres an extensive post on SEA FOAM! I have answered it on the pros and cons of which vacuum line to use and a little bit on the procedures I use with success. Check it out. seems to work well for me and YES, i frequently give the Z hell!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1739801

Bill C
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Chemically it is very similar to GM Top Engine Cleaner...
It worls.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

From the MSDS for Sea Foam .... (note the tranny "cleaner" and engine "cleaner" use the same MSDS ..... hmmm .....)

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

It is 40-60 percent "pale oil" (used to say kerosene) .... 25-35 percent naphtha and 10-20 percent IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

The alcohol would explain how Sea Foam removes water from gasoline .... naphtha is a "low octane" feedstock for reformulated higher octane gasolines (also the only ingredient in Zippo lighter fluid) .... and kerosene/pale oil is most likely used as a carrier for the other two.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a product that is at least 40 percent "pale oil", burning in my engine, reduces carbon buildup in the cylinders ??

Next time I consider an engine "cleaner" I'll just spray Zippo lighter fluid in there, though it would be cheaper to buy under the generic name of white gas (Coleman lanterns, etc.).
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
B Neat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what Seafoam claims; copied and pasted straight from their site.

1- Cleans fuel injectors
2- Cleans carburetor jets
3- Cleans carbon
4- Stabilizes fuels
5- Upper cylinder lube
6- Removes moisture in fuel
7- De-icer
8- Frees sticky lifters
9- Frees sticky rings
10- Removes moisture in oil
11- Cleans P.C.V. systems
12- Cleans catalytic converter odors
13- Oxygen sensor safe

So lets see;

1) The Injectors are self-cleaning by design in late model vettes (it might help an older Vette)
2) OK, a much older Vette
3) As hard as I run Mine I really doubt there is any carbon build up ANYWHERE in my motor. I've probably melted the tops of the pistons, not to mention carbon deposits.
4) My fuel is never in there long enough to need fuel stabilizer.
5) Upper cylinder lube? do they mean Valve train? Maybe I'm just stupid, (my wife says that all the time) isn't that what the guides are for?
6) Moisture in fuel? Where are they getting their gas? I know it happens, but it's never been a problem for me, not in 28 years of driving.
7) De-icer, hmm, Maybe in my Diesel but never a problem in my gas. (unless they want me to pour it in my windsheild washer resivoir) Besides, most sissy Vette people don't drive them when it's that cold anyway. Yes, I'm a sissy. Actually I avoid salt, not cold.
8) My lifters aren't sticking, and if they do it's time for new ones.
9) Same as above, x 2 (what kind of oil are these guys using anyway, Blue Velvet?)
10) I change my oil enough, I don't have to worry about that.
11) PCV system, What's to clean?
12) My cats smell great! I wonder if it'll work in a litter box?
13) If I never use it in the first place I KNOW it won't hurt my O2 sensors. The only way it's going to hurt my o2 sensors is if I run over a can of it on the road somewhere.

I'm sure it is a fine product and I know there is a place for it, like in my Grandparents buick. In fact I'll bet their car could use a can about now. But I don't think I'll be using it in my Vette. Maybe I'll go over to the Buick forum and see how it's working for them.

Last edited by B Neat; 07-09-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of using seafoam on your car, take it to a professional shop with a motorvac or similar piece of equipment. These will introduce the correct amount of solvent to the system and will ensure it goes to all cylinders since it will be connected inline with the cars fuel system. The cost will be ~$150 but the results will be far superior, and there is less chance of serious motor damage...
Old 07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
RB Racing
Advanced

I typically have all of those in my garage at one time.

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
From the MSDS for Sea Foam .... (note the tranny "cleaner" and engine "cleaner" use the same MSDS ..... hmmm .....)

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

It is 40-60 percent "pale oil" (used to say kerosene) .... 25-35 percent naphtha and 10-20 percent IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

The alcohol would explain how Sea Foam removes water from gasoline .... naphtha is a "low octane" feedstock for reformulated higher octane gasolines (also the only ingredient in Zippo lighter fluid) .... and kerosene/pale oil is most likely used as a carrier for the other two.

Maybe someone can explain to me how a product that is at least 40 percent "pale oil", burning in my engine, reduces carbon buildup in the cylinders ??

Next time I consider an engine "cleaner" I'll just spray Zippo lighter fluid in there, though it would be cheaper to buy under the generic name of white gas (Coleman lanterns, etc.).
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drive your car passively, then seafoam is a great product. If you drive the **** out of your car on occasion, then it is optional... but recommended.

If you follow the directions on the can, it will be fine. It wont hurt anything, it's 100% petroleum. The Sea Foam Deep Creep is a good alternative for the intake portion for those who are scared that Sea Foam will hyrdolock the motor. As long as you don't pour it in all at once you'll be fine.

As far as problems... dont do this in your garage... do it on the street. It will SMOKE out the pipes depending how much carbon buildup you have.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
B Neat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I've had a change of heart. If I were to buy a used Vette, I'll bet one of the first things I would do is use something like Seafoam to clean the engine! I've heard alot of good things about Top engine clean from a mechanic friend of mine. I'll ask him what he thinks of Seafoam.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I use Seafoam in all my vehicles and have been doing it since the 90's. The stuff is easier to find now than it was before. On older engines it really does help reduce pinging and running issues related to carbon buildup.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

guys, I just used this stuff and my car is now running cleaner than ever before. My last smog, the car blew 1100 ppm at 25mph of no. This time it went 367. I also changed the plugs and wires and don't have the blower pullied which probably all combined for some help but jeez, that's a huge difference. Oh yeah, I'm not even running an egr valve and it ran those numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam....Yes or No?

Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My beater buick with 210,000 miles was starting to run funny at idle but after seafoam it purrs and drives like its new, used it in the vette but did not notice anything, maybe its cause I give it hell all the time so nothing can build up in there.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Butters00Vet
Pro

I think it works better on carb'ed cars then FI car. Obviously it works well on older marine engines, especially outboard ones that run with 2 cycle motors and only used for 5 months out of the year. Carbon build-up is hugh on outboard motors, but I don't know if it would be so much on newer cars.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Camaroguy22
Instructor

Alot of you have said you doubt there could be any carbon buildup in your motor.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2517...85852410ZTulqS

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2490...85852410fFPdyR

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2219...85852410jLCicj

Quick Reply: Seafoam....Yes or No?