C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Ramps oil change...WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by thetorch
I roll the car up on ramps and then put a jack under the rear. I then put a second jack under the front and raise the car high enough to maneuver while under the car and insert jack stands. Raise the rear of the car so it's the same height as the front and drain the oil.

Kind of a PITA, but not much we can do about it.
This is what I do too.
Works for me.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Stonecutter908
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my front wheels up on the ramps the other day to check out the air dam condition after a couple bad scraps due to NJ pot holes.

While I was under there, I was thinking the same thing ... how could anyone ever do an oil change from under here. The filter looks like it is a country mile away with very little clearance to work wtih. I don't have a jack or stands or pucks. Would love to find a way to bang out a DIY oil change w/o spending anymore $ on garage gear.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:56 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just did mine with Race Ramp XT's. These are 10" high and I had no problem getting to the filter. The only problem is jacking the rear end to make it level, and the $300 for the ramps.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
gtragitt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I use the Rhino ramps. I replace the filter and remove the drain plug. After I get out from under the car, I jack the rear with my floor jack. I never get under my car with the rear jacked up. After all the oil drains, I remove the jack and replace the plug. I get to the filter and plug from the front - not the side.

Quick Reply: Rhino Ramps oil change...WTF