C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming noise from rear - new tires...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise from rear - new tires...

After going through a set of rear tires (Toyos) and now replacing all my tires with the new Vredestein Sessantas, I now have a hum that increases with speed regardless of what gear I'm in with no effects from the RPM range.

I've read a few tech posts on 'humming' noise issues and suspect I may have a bad wheel bearing. The tires have a very good grip but may be producing some lateral force since the tread pattern is assymetrical. My thoughts are this force is 'enhancing' the noise condition not noticed with the 'old' tires.

It'll hum fairly loud with fine frequency vibration (felt via the gas pedal) at 70-mph whether or not I'm in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. It also hums while coasting.

What's really 'odd' is that the hum seems to go away with right turns at higher speeds. It's not noticeble at speeds less than 40-mph.

Any ideas ???

Last edited by verskel; 06-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
double-oh-coupe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking wheel bearing especially since you said it goes away when you enter a turn --- that is exactly what mine did when it went bad.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Darkhalf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it goes away on a right hander, more than likely that right hand side and possibly the right rear. I have a left rear wheel bearing going out. Replacing it this weekend.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:42 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bit of tire noise to me! See if it goes away after a couple of hundred miles. Even new tires make some strange noises sometimes.

BTW........what are Vredestein Sessantas??? Never heard of them.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fixvet
BTW........what are Vredestein Sessantas??? Never heard of them.
http://www.vredestein.com/

After trying to listen again this morning, it actually may be the Front instead of the Rear but the noise is definitely coming from the Passenger (righthand) side.

Get notified of new replies

To Humming noise from rear - new tires...

Quick Reply: Humming noise from rear - new tires...