C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my son took his z06 to the track.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Fast@50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my son took his z06 to the track.

My son took his Z06 to the track last night and made some runs in it the car has lg pro long tubes fast 90/90 k&n air filter tex oz clutch and nittos and ran a best pass of 12.50 at 117 mph with a 60 foot of 2.436 car just doesnt hook. What to know what others are running with similer mods. The engine is all stock and the car runs very strong just need slicks. Any other info would be great.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
EBMR02Z
Instructor

Go over to the C5Z section and check out the fast list at the top.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nittos need to be very warm for them to hook up or else they will spin, next time try smoking them before staging for a good 5-7 seconds, they should help a bit with the hooking part.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:46 PM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With practice and patience, your kid will be in the 10's...regardless
of the tires.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 PM
DSSA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Don
Nittos need to be very warm for them to hook up or else they will spin, next time try smoking them before staging for a good 5-7 seconds, they should help a bit with the hooking part.
So far, I'm not a big fan of the Nitto Drag radials. They seem to have tried to make a tire that would handle well, and hook at the track---IMHO attaining a tire that's mediocre at best in either realm.

You know the old saying: "Jack of all trades, master of none".
Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast@50
My son took his Z06 to the track last night and made some runs in it the car has lg pro long tubes fast 90/90 k&n air filter tex oz clutch and nittos and ran a best pass of 12.50 at 117 mph with a 60 foot of 2.436 car just doesnt hook. What to know what others are running with similer mods. The engine is all stock and the car runs very strong just need slicks. Any other info would be great.

if he did 12.5 with a 2.43 60' ... then it's in the upper 11s with a good launch.

Here's my A4 with 3.42 gears, Predator tune, stock converter, and factory EMT tires:

Old 05-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Getting the best from a traction-limited manual-tranny car like a bolt-on Z06 takes seat time. Generally that means 30-50 passes to really find the lower limit in the quarter-mile.

That process can be compressed by technique cribs. There's one on launch techniques for the Z06 at the link in my sig. It includes a procedure for heating DRs without a line-lock and a description of the three-part launch that will help him shed 5-7 tenths from his 60'.

So the straight path for your son is study and practice, practice, practice. Good luck to him.

Ranger
Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger
Generally that means 30-50 passes to really find the lower limit in the quarter-mile.

So the straight path for your son is study and practice, practice, practice. Good luck to him.

Ranger
I agree completely. The one line I hear most frequently from customers is "I'll probably just take it to the track just one time, just to see what she'll do". BIG mistake. I tell everyone that I hear that from that if you only run your car one time you will be very disappointed. There's no way you'll ever get your car to run what its CAPABLE of, without running it (as stated above) 30 or 40 or 50 times. I built a drag car for a guy several years ago, we took it to the track on 2 different occasions. On the 6th or 7th pass (me driving) it ran what I told the owner it would run before I built it. It took the owner 6 MONTHS to run the same ET. He couldnt get within 3 tenths. I ribbed him constantly.LOL
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM
see5
Safety Car

Slicks will give you more traction and likely rear end failure.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ranger
Getting the best from a traction-limited manual-tranny car like a bolt-on Z06 takes seat time. Generally that means 30-50 passes to really find the lower limit in the quarter-mile.

Ranger

tooooo many buy the manual shift version because (on paper) it's the fastest.

But then they don't practice... practice... practice

then that one day when you need to put a Mustang, Toyota, (fill in the blank) in their place... one either:

* misses a shift
* doesn't downshift
* knows to downshift, but doesn't because they are clueless to which gear they should downshift to
* or from a stop - kills the engine on the launch
* or from a stop - smokes the tires badly

which all ends up as a very embarrasing situation.

Become one with your Corvette; learn it's strengths and it's limitations. And practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice... practice

Old 05-20-2007, 06:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bglmn
With practice and patience, your kid will be in the 10's...regardless
of the tires.
10's !?? I don't think so.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 PM
NightmareZ06
Racer

when i took my 02 Z(stock) to the track i was able to get a 2.0 60' on the factory goodyears and they are awful for traaction. So like others said, once he learns to get it out of the hole, he should be i the high 11s with that trap. No 10's though. I dont like the Nittos either, i think you get what you oay for with them, but i have the BFG's and a little higher hp car and i can throw the clutch at 4800-5100 and hook for a 1.6 60'.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:44 AM
bglmn
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lucky131969
10's !?? I don't think so.
Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little bit. But, you'd have to admit there's at least a full second to be had in the launch.

Now, are you gonna tell me that somebody who pulls consistant 2.4
60', knows how to shift quickly and at the perfect time? I don't think so.

Low 11's, minimum!
Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with all of the above. One thing I will add is that Nitto drag radials are good track tires especially for someone with bolt ons or near stock. As mentioned above most people don't heat them up enough and don't set the pressure correctly.
They need a full burnout and take some practice. The mt etstreet radials and bfg's will hook better but in a bolt on car the nittos are fine. They will also mph high if you dig the numbers.
Also they will be the kindest on the clutch and drivetrain. Unless your stuck in the 1.7x range or better then keep them and figure them out. Goodluck.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Fast@50
Instructor

Default reply

thanks for all the info. Alot of the problem i had friday night was the track was very poorly prepared. It was an open test and tune and there were cars driving though the water that didnt even need to go into the burn out box. I do agree that the nittos on the track suck i dont like them but it was all i could get in the time frame i had. But on the street my car was hooking hard at 4500 with no problems. the diff in my z06 is built but with stock gear size. Thanks for the info next time i will have slicks on it. Like they say go big or go home.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bglmn
Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little bit. But, you'd have to admit there's at least a full second to be had in the launch.
whatever you save in the 60' times... comes right off the total ET.

Get notified of new replies

To my son took his z06 to the track.

Quick Reply: my son took his z06 to the track.