C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:28 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite

In the middle of my clutch installation. I bought a set of ARP flywheel bolts. I see a lot of recommendations for "Red" loctite. ARP instructions say to use their Moly lube, but I am afraid to do that since getting back in there again is a big issue if they come loose. The GM service manual seems to indicate medium strenght Loctite 242, but then I see guys who have bought GM bolts and they come with a red locking compound pre-installed.

Has anyone actually removed a flywheel with the ARP bolts in it that have been previously installed with the Red loctite? I am concerned I will never get them out again or that they might break upon later disassembly.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:35 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettenuts
In the middle of my clutch installation. I bought a set of ARP flywheel bolts. I see a lot of recommendations for "Red" loctite. ARP instructions say to use their Moly lube, but I am afraid to do that since getting back in there again is a big issue if they come loose. The GM service manual seems to indicate medium strenght Loctite 242, but then I see guys who have bought GM bolts and they come with a red locking compound pre-installed.

Has anyone actually removed a flywheel with the ARP bolts in it that have been previously installed with the Red loctite? I am concerned I will never get them out again or that they might break upon later disassembly.
They will come out even with red locktite. ARP wants you to use their moly just so the torque specs are correct. Dont hesitate to use locktite. Make sure you torque them. Dont run them in with an impact. When and if you have to remove them again, use an impact.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I did talk to ARP, they said increase the torque by 5 lb-ft with loctite over the Moly, so they would go in with 65 lb-ft.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 PM
94legaleagle
Melting Slicks

I think I'd use BLUE locktite and then 5 ft/lbs over what the ARP specs call for w/ ARP lube - w/ Blue locktite, you have some additional security, but you can get them loose if you need to in the future
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 AM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

FWIW, I've never had an issue taking things apart that I previously used Red lock-tite on
Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM
DSSA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use red loctite, and have an issue with getting bolts back out, heat them with a torch (the bolt--be careful of the head on the surrounding areas).
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you use red loctite, and have an issue with getting bolts back out, heat them with a torch (the bolt--be careful of the head on the surrounding areas).

For anything other than very small bolts I've had to heat the threads with a torch to remove the bolt when red locktite was applied.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
thetorch
Burning Brakes

If you can remove Crane rocker studs, which are M8 x 1.25, with relative ease than I think it's safe to say you could remove flywheel bolts. I'm not sure what size they are right off hand, but I would guess they are M10.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiRiser
FWIW, I've never had an issue taking things apart that I previously used Red lock-tite on
Ditto....

And I just torqued my flywheel to 75 ft/lbs with the ARP hardware. It felt perfect...just enough "stretch" (and not very much because the bolts are short). I dont think 65 ft/lbs is enough although with red loctite it wont go anywhere at that TQ Im sure anyway.

Tony
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Ditto....

And I just torqued my flywheel to 75 ft/lbs with the ARP hardware. It felt perfect...just enough "stretch" (and not very much because the bolts are short). I dont think 65 ft/lbs is enough although with red loctite it wont go anywhere at that TQ Im sure anyway.

Tony
I did mine to 75ft/lbs. It felt better than 65. Actually the stockers are 3 increments ending at 74ft/lbs.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Surprised this post came back to life. Well, mine are in there with red loctite and so far (as far as I know) all is OK.

Now the real question will be whether it will handle the new found power in the spring

Get notified of new replies

To ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite

Quick Reply: ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite