C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does the service manual tell me to discard brake bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default why does the service manual tell me to discard brake bolts?

i replaced my rotors and the service manual says to discard the caliper bracket bolts.

What the hell? Why not just torque them to spec...and maybe locktite them?

I know some of you change the rotors during every track event. you cant tell me you get new bolts each time. Do i need to replace the door seals each time I open the doors? Come to think of it, that might save on water leaks.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been discussed before and I believe the concensus is GM wants you to replace them because of the thread lock compound that is lost when loosening them. I just add new Locktite and retighten.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

also; keep in mind that technical manuals aren't solely written by technical people. Lawyers have input too.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:05 PM
04cad
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Default Replace caliper bolts?

I would have probably agreed with the other posts, but I think there is something about bolt stretch and such, that may be a safety issue, especially with racing, and..... the last brake job I did took twice as long as it should have because..... yep you guessed it, one of the bolts twisted off. First and only one in about...... maybe twenty disc brake jobs, but it sure was a pain. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. Also, the only place that was open that day (Sunday) only had one bolt so I couldn't even replace both of them on that side .

After reading a later post I was thinking of the guide pins not the caliper bolts. I had a guide pin break when removing it. Good luck

Last edited by 04cad; 05-14-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 PM
MeekRN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didnt replace the bolts, one loosened up and when i applied the breaks it made a real loud chatter, and about 5 miles from home, the bolt finally loosened its way out, and the break caliper rotated, and wedged it self into my wheel, cost 300 for stock wheel, 245 for new front tire with flat spot, new caliper 125 new pads 25, new rotor 115 towing to dealer, 45, rental car for 1 day 45. cost of new bolts 10 bucks max...
if you need the 10 bucks tell me your pay pal email address and i will paypal you the 10 bucks.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Autobot
Racer

My textbooks said that bolts are only meant to be used once and then discarded, having said that, I almost always reuse them.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
DVLDAWG
Instructor

I'm actually getting ready sometime in the next week to replace my Rotors and pads. I called 2 local dealers here and they both said that they dont stock them, and one guy said he's never even sold any before. They both said that the main reason that they are to be replaced is because of the loctite on them, and I should just put some loctite on them, and re-use.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

(sorry - I didnt mean to hijack your thread)

Thanks!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Torque on them is low, doubt they yield. To re-use, you would need to clean the bolt and the internal threads and then loctite. I would guess its more of a liability issue for GM. I wouldn't go by what the dealer says either, most that I have dealt with don't even know what is in the service manual. I usually replace, and get them from Gene Culley. Keeps the cost down on replacement, but I also don't remove very often either. The new GM brake pads come with them.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't even bother with Loctite. They are always tight when I change rotors. I have to use big breaker bar to get them loose.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
04cad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by MeekRN
i didnt replace the bolts, one loosened up and when i applied the breaks it made a real loud chatter, and about 5 miles from home, the bolt finally loosened its way out, and the break caliper rotated, and wedged it self into my wheel, cost 300 for stock wheel, 245 for new front tire with flat spot, new caliper 125 new pads 25, new rotor 115 towing to dealer, 45, rental car for 1 day 45. cost of new bolts 10 bucks max...
if you need the 10 bucks tell me your pay pal email address and i will paypal you the 10 bucks.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM
SwissVette_Joe
Racer

Default Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolts replacement

IMHO - I also think reason is mainly two things :

- Special high friction thread compound => to being carefully renewed in case of reuse of them two bolts in question

- The relatively heavy amount of torque to apply to these Brake Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolts (not to confuse with the two Guide Pin Bolts) => 175Nm / 125lbft

Don't pray but instead just go the undoubtable safe route and replace them both (by each side of car two of them) because for the mentioned 2 tech points above.

Joe
Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MeekRN
Can I get ten bucks too?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DVLDAWG
I'm actually getting ready sometime in the next week to replace my Rotors and pads. I called 2 local dealers here and they both said that they dont stock them, and one guy said he's never even sold any before. They both said that the main reason that they are to be replaced is because of the loctite on them, and I should just put some loctite on them, and re-use.

Thanks!!!

I have reused mine 60 + times when I had stock calipers and had new ones in the box next to me. Clean and Loctite
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

set of bolts forsale ten bucks plus fifty shipping
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I couldn't count the number of times I've had my calipers off. Always use the same bolts.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Wish I had a dollar for every time this topic comes up.
Same answers different day.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I couldn't count the number of times I've had my calipers off. Always use the same bolts.
yep.

But there's "specs" out there that scare those that don't have any real world experience. As long as one removes the old locktite, and reapplies, and torques to specs... there's no "stretching" to worry about.

This is one of those times that a textbook does not match the real world.

Get notified of new replies

To why does the service manual tell me to discard brake bolts?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:07 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
yep.

But there's "specs" out there that scare those that don't have any real world experience. As long as one removes the old locktite, and reapplies, and torques to specs... there's no "stretching" to worry about.

This is one of those times that a textbook does not match the real world.
Clean, apply new locktite and torque,I've been doing this for years.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by DVLDAWG

Thanks!!!
I ran into the same problem. Went to the dealer to get a new set of bolts, and they only had one bolt.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:03 PM
MSG Parris
3rd Gear

Default Locktite

Which color locktite do you apply to the caliper mounting bolts?

Quick Reply: why does the service manual tell me to discard brake bolts?