C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Five GTM Supercar!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need me one of those!!! David
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

A friend of mine has a CVG (South African) Ford Gt, with a Ford 302 in it.He got it from HRE on Long Island which is a factory authorized dealer for the new series of Cobras made by Shelby in Las Vegas.The car weighs about 2000 lbs.( I think), and is molded from a 65 Ford Gt body. The car is awesome, but spartan, although it does have heat and air.A guy he knows has a Superformance Daytona Coupe which is like the blue FFR coupe on their website. $66,000 for a rolling chassis, and whatever it would cost for the engine and trans. A ford 402, will get you 0-60 in the mid 3's, and a top end around 200.IT IS SWEET!! Check out Superformance on their website. I've been to the Kit car event in Carlisle, and it is very cool.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Why not use a C6 chassis?
Because it has it's own tubular chassis, and it would be harder to find a "donor C6" for the other required parts.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

If a Corvette and a GT40 had a child thats what it would look like
Old 04-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by RockyL32
If a Corvette and a GT40 had a child thats what it would look like
Old 04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Why not use a C6 chassis?
You can't use a C6 chassis. A Corvette is FRONT engine mounted.This is REAR engine mounted. You need a completely different configuration.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
David Borden
Instructor

While the car isn’t 100% complete, we only have a few details to work out and are almost there! We put a number of final touches on the GTM till 1:30am Thursday evening and headed out to the Knott’s Berry Farm show on Friday morning.

Here are some shots of my car in front of the FFR trailer.

David
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM
David Borden
Instructor

(copied from another post I made on ffcobra.com)

Dave Smith(FFR President/Owner) let me to drive the Red LS7 GTM to and from Huntington Beach on Saturday.

I was pleasantly suprised how driveable the car was. Very very smooth to start from a stop. Besides the obvious exhaust sound the car makes, it drove like a stock 6 speed production car.

The steering felt very much like our late model 5 Series BMW did. Perfect weighting and feel. Took almost no real effort to steer, even at parking lot speeds. I was very happy with it. The car had Toyo RA1's, DOT R comp tires installed, and it tracked remarkably well. I was pretty suprised concidering the tires. With the right tires, it will track even better. Dave Smith tells me the car was awesome with the PS2's. (same tire I have). I'll report once I get some time on the car.

Ok... now the fun stuff! When the traffic cleared, I had the opportunity to open it up in 2nd gear a few times. Even with huge amount of torque the motor produces, the car just squated and shot forward. Almost no wheel spin. Ive driven some pretty fast cars... and the acceleration was stratospheric, almost scary! The car pulls so hard in 2nd that it un-nerved me a bit The power band of that motor was awesome. Very smooth and pulled like a freight train from 2500-6500ish...

The car has an adjustable drivers seat track that I was able to move around to suite my needs. I'm 6'1 and fairly long legged... and I was more comfortable with the seat forward about 3 or so inches. I had about 1 inch of headroom.

Both windows went up and down perfectly with the doors closed and sealed against all surfaces. No wind noise that I could detect up to about 60 mph.

The car had absolutely no rattles squeaks or clunks... very very solid feeling. Even over railroad tracks and expansion joints.

It was quite a site with the GTM, about 50 cobras and 2 Daytona coupes running down beach blvd. On the way back, we cruised down main street in huntington beach.

David
Old 05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
cortex
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2006 SEMA show vid...

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/sho...06/sema06.html
Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

omg i want one
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's hope that the C7 will be mid-engine like that...never happen though with the NASCAR mentality most vette owners have.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,405 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
While the car isn’t 100% complete, we only have a few details to work out and are almost there! We put a number of final touches on the GTM till 1:30am Thursday evening and headed out to the Knott’s Berry Farm show on Friday morning.

David
David,

I've been lurking out at the GTM forum for several months now, watching y'all work through all the bugs typical of a newly produced kit. It's great to see some cars getting onto the road now; yours won't be too far in coming!

I've got a daughter in college and a son in HS, so it's going to be a few years before I can think about dropping $40-50K for a GTM, but it's the only kitcar (I almost hate to use that term) that I've seriously considered.

Keep us up to date on how she goes!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The GTM is what got me looking at Corvettes in the first place about 18 months ago. I was looking for a wrecked or used car and started looking at non wrecked and ended up buying one. I still want to build one, but the wife and I just built a house and I haven't built my garage yet. So, I'm having fun with the vette until the bug hits me again.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Man that car looks nice! GM should hire these guys to develop the C7 body style. That red car was simply beautiful and looked beyond exotic!!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Turbo595
Intermediate

Originally Posted by David Borden
(copied from another post I made on ffcobra.com)

Dave Smith(FFR President/Owner) let me to drive the Red LS7 GTM to and from Huntington Beach on Saturday.

I was pleasantly suprised how driveable the car was. Very very smooth to start from a stop. Besides the obvious exhaust sound the car makes, it drove like a stock 6 speed production car.

The steering felt very much like our late model 5 Series BMW did. Perfect weighting and feel. Took almost no real effort to steer, even at parking lot speeds. I was very happy with it. The car had Toyo RA1's, DOT R comp tires installed, and it tracked remarkably well. I was pretty suprised concidering the tires. With the right tires, it will track even better. Dave Smith tells me the car was awesome with the PS2's. (same tire I have). I'll report once I get some time on the car.

Ok... now the fun stuff! When the traffic cleared, I had the opportunity to open it up in 2nd gear a few times. Even with huge amount of torque the motor produces, the car just squated and shot forward. Almost no wheel spin. Ive driven some pretty fast cars... and the acceleration was stratospheric, almost scary! The car pulls so hard in 2nd that it un-nerved me a bit The power band of that motor was awesome. Very smooth and pulled like a freight train from 2500-6500ish...

The car has an adjustable drivers seat track that I was able to move around to suite my needs. I'm 6'1 and fairly long legged... and I was more comfortable with the seat forward about 3 or so inches. I had about 1 inch of headroom.

Both windows went up and down perfectly with the doors closed and sealed against all surfaces. No wind noise that I could detect up to about 60 mph.

The car had absolutely no rattles squeaks or clunks... very very solid feeling. Even over railroad tracks and expansion joints.

It was quite a site with the GTM, about 50 cobras and 2 Daytona coupes running down beach blvd. On the way back, we cruised down main street in huntington beach.

David

David,
I have been looking at the GTM for a couple years now and seen it at SEMA, I was wondering what the in cockpit noise levels are while normal freeway speeds.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-19-2007, 05:13 AM
SilverBulletZ06
Le Mans Master

Waiting to build my 28x32 garage. After that I'll have to tear myself apart trying to decide whether I want:

1) GTM
2) 69 Camaro with tube chassis and independent suspension
3) 1967 GTO Street/strip

Ho-Hum..

The GTMs look great, but the wide gaping hole in the front definitely calls for some sort of mush grill to break it up a bit. I also like it better with the spoiler on it.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by dagon138
Here's hope that the C7 will be mid-engine like that...never happen though with the NASCAR mentality most vette owners have.
This is an ignorant statement. The C5 and C6 have nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution w/ the front mounted mid-engine and rear mounted transmission. Yes... you read that right, the C5 is technically a mid engine car, no part of the motor is in front of the front wheel centerline.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Five GTM Supercar!

Old 05-20-2007, 02:03 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
This is an ignorant statement. The C5 and C6 have nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution w/ the front mounted mid-engine and rear mounted transmission. Yes... you read that right, the C5 is technically a mid engine car, no part of the motor is in front of the front wheel centerline.
Captain obvious busts out a owners manual!

See the problem is... it doesn't really "drive" or handle like a true mid-engine car though... does it?
Does really well of course with it's front engine, trans axle setup, but it would be better if it was a real mid-engine car.

That car is what the Corvette should have been 20 years ago.

Last edited by dagon138; 05-20-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the side views on the FF web site gives me the impression that they used a lot of 65-66 Mustang Fastback for the roof-rear window-side window area. That would certainly help in keeping costs down, no?

What's clever to me is how UNlike a GT40 the car looks, yet it definitely has the 'feel' of a mid sixties LeMans race car. From what little I know FF is a well-run company and actually has a business plan, etc.

I'm not crazy about clone car kits, but FF seems to have removed or reduced some of the more annoying aspects of buying/building a kit. What really puts me off the most is that most kit companies [C*terham comes to mind] do very little development to improve their products' reliability, ease of build, etc. FF seems to be different than most in this regard.

GP
Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
BanditDude
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dagon138
Captain obvious busts out a owners manual!

See the problem is... it doesn't really "drive" or handle like a true mid-engine car though... does it?
Does really well of course with it's front engine, trans axle setup, but it would be better if it was a real mid-engine car.

That car is what the Corvette should have been 20 years ago.
How can it get better than 50/50 weight distribution? It would definitely make it more exotic, but it would also cost more to build (less shared parts).

That said, the GTM appears to be an incredible car. It's definitely one that I'd like to build some day.

Quick Reply: Factory Five GTM Supercar!